A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Survey: Continental vs. English  (Read 19222 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cinimonstk

Smokey says NO to Sew Fast So Sleazy!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2005 12:09:44 PM »

1.Where do you live? So. California, USA

2.What style do you prefer? right now, English.

3.Who taught you how to knit? (do you know their lineage?) I took a kniting class and picked up the rest from online & books. No one I know can knit, though my grandma taught me to crochet 20 years ago.

4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why?  Shortly after learning to knit, I figured out how to knit contnentally. I actually prefer it because it's less strain on my wrists than English style, but I can't purl continentally.  So I tend to still knit English, occasionally switching to Continental to give my wrists a break. I'm hoping I can find someone to show me how to purl continental (I've tried knittinghelp & I still can't get it).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW SLEAZY!
http://www.cafepress.com/saynotosfse/
Chelsea
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2005 12:38:59 PM »

1.Where do you live? Indiana
2.What style do you prefer? English - only because it's the one I know
3.Who taught you how to knit? (do you know their lineage?) A knitting book from Michael's and stitchguide.com.   But I might have my aunt show me if I'm doing anything wrong or to teach me new methods/stitches - I don't really know my family history, although I do know our last name is English
4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why? I haven't tried it yet, because I just learned how to knit this way. But I did see someone on TV (Modern Girl's Guide to Life) knitting using the Continental method and I do want to learn that way.  I'm pretty good with my fingers (I can braid like crazy - when we used to make friendship bracelets in gradeschool out of embroidery floss, I was always the fastest).  And I don't really like the way I'm doing it because I have to sit the needle down for a second to wrap the yarn around - it's caused the need to slip and lose all the stitches a couple of times.  I don't know which one I'd prefer though.

ETA: five minutes later.......I just learned continental.  I was having trouble with tension (thought it might've been because I was doing garter - didn't have as much trouble w/ stockinette) but I'm having no trouble with tension with continenal.   i'll probably use both, but right now I want to do this faster. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005 12:51:15 PM by Chelsea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhiandmoi
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2005 12:41:11 PM »

1.Where do you live?California, USA
2.What style do you prefer?Continental
3.Who taught you how to knit? (do you know their lineage?)I just watched people and figured it out. I figured it out wrong at first, but I am ok now. I started knitting English because that is the way my mom knits, and I switched to continental after watching my BF's Mom knit.
4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why?It seemed faster to knit continental so I tried it. Now I want to learn to knit forward and backwards (left/right) so I can work without turning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jenninator
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2005 12:44:33 PM »

1.Where do you live? Toronto, Canada
2.What style do you prefer? English
3.Who taught you how to knit? (do you know their lineage?)  I learned from Stitch n' Bitch
4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why? I have tried continental because I heard it was faster and easier on the wrists, but I don't like it as much as English which feels natural to me.  I can actually purl pretty well continentally, but I was also having problem controlling yarn tension even though I also crochet.  I guess I'm just weird that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erincatherine
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2005 06:22:16 PM »

WOW!!!
I never expected so much response so quickly!  Thanks, everyone, I find this so interesting! And Lothurin, an extra note of thanks for the history on the subject.  I do remember hearing that in bits and pieces through the ages/my education.  It is also interesting to hear "continental" being called "German" style.  Any other names for the methods people know?

I am definately going to call my grandma tomorrow and ask her who taught her and what the original method/means were.  I know she grew up pretty middle class on a farm, so I dont know if she was a "Society Girl."  But I dont know as much about Australia's social structure and history.  I know once she moved to the U.S. she was too busy working her tail off to knit for pleasure too much.

And about the wrist thing...I always thought those little cramps were just the price I paid for being so obsessed....I do consider myself to be a speedy knitter, but I didn't know Continental also eliminated this issue...

Thanks, guys and keep 'em coming!!
Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my etsy shop! Zeitgeist Yarns: www.zeitgeistyarns.etsy.com

and my brand new blog: www.zeitgeistyarns.blogspot.com
Duckie

Fifty-seven academics just punched the air.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2005 06:46:26 PM »

1.Where do you live? I've just moved to Ottawa; I've lived mostly around Vancouver.
2.What style do you prefer? I knit Continental (left-handed); I don't know how to knit right-handed. And no, I'm not a leftie.
3.Who taught you how to knit? (do you know their lineage?) I taught myself from Debbie Bliss's book How To Knit. I don't remember whether they tell you in the book to hold with your right or left hand . . . after all, Debbie Bliss is English. Hmmm.
4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why? Nope, though I was thinking about teaching myself how to knit backwards (from the right needle to the left).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amey
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2005 09:33:28 PM »

1.Where do you live? Phoenix
2.What style do you prefer? English
3.Who taught you how to knit? (do you know their lineage?) Originally, my English grandmother (she immigrated to the US after marrying an American serviceman).  I had to refresh myself a bit when I started back up after a 10 year hiatus, but chose English again.
4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why? I wanted to learn continental because it appears faster (which makes sense - there is an economy of motion with continental).  At the same time, I want to continue to be an English knitter because I want to hold on to the family tie to that.  I think at some point I might so that if I needed to knit something on a tighter deadline, I could.  Right now I can knit okay that way, but my stitches look a little different (they aren't situated differently or anything, I can't really describe it), and my tension isn't consistent.  I've got several things lined up for before the end of the year, so learning a new thing will have to wait for the new year.

~amey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elisantics
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2005 12:19:23 AM »

1.Where do you live? - Iowa
2.What style do you prefer? - English
3.Who taught you how to knit? (do you know their lineage?)  -  My Grandmother, who grew up in England and Scotland at a time when all girls were taught to knit in school as well as at home.
4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why? - I tried Continental, and I can do it, I just have a terrible time purling.

Also, there are different styles of English knitting.  The style most people think of (as described by Stitch 'n' Bitch and shown on knittinghelp.com) is what my Gran calls American-style.  The style of English knitting I learned from her entails holding the yarn very similarly to Continental, only it's in the right hand.  It's just as fast as Continental, and you don't move your hand every time to wrap the yarn, just your finger and/or needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2005 12:23:53 AM »

1.Where do you live? America - Texas
2.What style do you prefer? Continental
3.Who taught you how to knit? (do you know their lineage?) My friend from OK I think. But I was taught the throw method from her.
4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why? Yes, I went to knittinghelp.com before she redid her site, and she had sent me a link to a video that wasn't out yet showing how much faster continental can be from the throw method...so I made a conscious effort to change my style (which was only about a month after I had learned) and I've been knitting that way ever since. It's also easier for me since I also crochet holding the yarn in my left hand.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005 12:26:27 AM by humblestumble » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
GaGirl1896
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2005 09:12:27 AM »

1.Where do you live? Atlanta, GA

2.What style do you prefer? Continental

3.Who taught you how to knit? A German friend taught me how to cast on, and do knits and purls (I think). Anything else I learned from a book. I don't actually remember the specifics of the lessons (it was 15-16 years ago), except that she taught me long tail caston.

4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why? I tried to knit a few stitches in English, just to see what it was like, and was completely flummoxed. It makes no sense to me because it seems slower, although I am certain that there are English knitters who can smoke me, speedwise, because I'm pretty leisurely. Also, I think it was just fortuitous that I was taught by a continental knitter, because I crocheted for years before I learned to knit. So I'm used to controlling the tension with my left hand and making the stitch with my right hand. So I guess no, I haven't actually tried to change because this works for me very well.

I say more power to you, however the stitches get on the needle!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Pink Makeup
Mally Roncal Makeup Backstage at the Tracy Reese NYFW Fall Show
How to Hide Gray Hairs
How to Fix a Fake-Looking Self-Tan
Marc Jacobs Launches His Beauty Range ‘Marc Jacobs Beauty’ in Paris.
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...