A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,735
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Re-vamped Dresser - Image heavy  (Read 2423 times)
Tags for this thread: furniture , dresser , painted  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starblossom
« on: October 15, 2005 08:20:09 PM »

Right, so I posted this before but I couldn't get the pictures to work. But now I know how to work it, so I may as well start a new thread on this. This is the probably the most major project I've ever done and I'm rather proud, so I want to show off Smiley.

I revamped a dresser this summer. I posted it all in my blog first, so I'll just cut and paste the commentary from there. Here's a nice little before/after shot.

Believe it or not this project took an immense amount of time. Thankfully (?) I was laid off a week before summer ended so I had the time to do this. Let's go over the steps, shall we?

Step 1 -- Buy an ugly dresser
 I got this one second hand and as you can see, I started working on it before taking a picture. The drawers weren't actually like that when I bought it. That right hand side of it (and the side view I included) is what it looked like before. Pretty ugly huh? Notice the air bubbles and bumps in it.

Step 2 -- Scraping
There was a thin layer of veneer or something on it that just cracked and peeled off when I tried to sand off the surface, so I figured eh, may as well scrape it all off. Grabbed a hammer and chisel and scraped the drawers and the sides. The top was pretty good so I left that alone. This scraping took hours and hours...

Step 3 -- Woodfiller
Now that the ugly veneer stuff is off, lets sand it smooth. But wait, what are all these gouges from? Oh that's right. I chiseled off some chunks of wood by accident. My dresser looks like a teenager's face ridden with pimples and pock marks. Better buy some wood filler to smooth out those dents.  

Step 4 -- Sanding
There, now that the woodfiller has finally dried, we can sand it smooth and sand off the veneer that we didn't bother to scrape off (mainly the spaces between the drawers, and the bottom). There, that looks much better now doesn't it?

Step 5 -- Base Coat
Despite all the TLC we  have given this dresser it's still in rough shape. The wood is nowhere close to smooth as a baby's bottom but all the gouges are filled in and the ugly shiny veneer is all gone. A lovely base coat will smooth the surface a little and prepare for the coat of paint.

Step 6 -- Paint
What a pretty colour! Wherever did I find it, you ask me? Why, Benjamin Moore of course! Fairy-tale Blue! I put on two coats of paint.

Step 7 -- Decorate Knobs
Remember those ugly wooden knobs? Let's fancy them up a bit while the paint dries. White satin ribbon would do nicely! Gluing the ribbon to the knobs makes them soft to the touch and glossy. Goes really well with the pretty blue, I think.

Step 8 -- Stencil
Even with the pretty knobs the drawers look a little dull still. The little doors look like they could use some decoration. I stencilled a unicorn on one side and a dragon on the other, in white paint. Unfortunately I couldn't take a very good picture, but you can kind of see it. I still need to put another coat of paint on it to give it a pearl-effect, but this is good for now.

Step 9 -- Admire
Stand back and admire. I found some shiny unicorn pictures in my closet that needed frames. Thinking they went well with the dresser theme, I figured I may as well frame them with ribbon to match the knobs. Hey, I'm not about to spend 10 bucks on some stupid frames! I think the ribbon-y frame looks really well when hung over the dresser.

Well that's about it! A fair amount of work but I think it was worth it. It looks much better than before, and I might have saved it from the dumpster for all I know! (I mean, who else would have bought a dresser that ugly??)

Comments please!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010 07:16:49 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do. (Oasis)
http://neatstuffs.wordpress.com
Jane2
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005 09:15:58 PM »

Most of the furniture in my apartment looks like your "before" picture! (Some pieces - most of them? - actually were on their way to the dump.)

Great job!
( I'll have to think about how much time I have before I let this inspire me to take on a project with such an awesome end result.)

Congratulations on your unicorn shrine effect too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pookieeinmo
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005 03:41:48 PM »

That is a great job!!!! you can come and re-do all my old furniture anytime!

Pepi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skysong

Check out Josh's new Christmas album NOL!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005 03:46:18 PM »

MUCH better! No more rippled/peeling veneer, no more fake wood color, no more boring knobs, and pretty, pretty, blueness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Patience is a virtue
 Tolerance is a gift
 Emotions are limiters
 Apathy is death
 Paradoxes rule us all the time"               From my boyfriend's poem, "Lost Hope"
starblossom
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005 03:18:29 PM »

Thanks! Smiley
Now, I want to do more...maybe I'll find something to fix up for the living room...and paint it blue too! hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do. (Oasis)
http://neatstuffs.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nail Trends: Decals and Adhesives
Nail Trends: Fine Art at Your Fingertips
5 Tricks to Make Small Eyes Look Doe-Eyed
5 Surprising Myths About Sunscreen and SPF
Best Face Masks For Any Skin Type
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...