A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,657
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Earth/ Air/ Fire/ Water Costumes  (Read 6003 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

D-spot
« on: October 15, 2005 03:18:53 PM »

Hi!  My roommates and I are dressing up as the elements this year.  We've got ideas for hair and little accessory items, but we need ideas on what to actually wear.  Any ideas? Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thewalrusisme
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005 04:32:54 PM »

might be corny but...
earth: mud colored paint smeared on your face.. something made of astroturf or indoor/outdoor carpet type stuff?
air: windmills attached to you, so you can run and they spin and u represent air?
fire: a match maybe?
water: fish tank

shots in the dark but i figured this might get the discussion going here
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
KCGal
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005 05:10:08 PM »

Whatever you decide to wear, please be sure to post photos of the group!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
racehorse87
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005 05:12:18 PM »

You could be fairies themed as such, rather than being actual water or earth or whatnot.

I love this picture. Maybe it can help with makeup.  Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
silencepainter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005 05:19:11 PM »

I was thinking of making multiple fairy costumes based on the elements... lol.  But for clothes... Keep your clothing in the color scheme of the element.  

For air maybe a skirt that is breezy flowy very light maybe almost see through fabric in a light yellow, or even white.

Fire.  A gypsy type skirt, with multiple reds and oranges if you can.  You want movement, but not light and flowly.

Water.  A lot like air.  Blues and greens. You want movement and flow.

Earth... for earth I think pants might be good.  Earth is the stable element.  Perhaps sort of think "tree" when you make the costume. Smiley  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005 05:24:18 PM »

I was thinking of making multiple fairy costumes based on the elements... lol.  But for clothes... Keep your clothing in the color scheme of the element. 

For air maybe a skirt that is breezy flowy very light maybe almost see through fabric in a light yellow, or even white.

Fire.  A gypsy type skirt, with multiple reds and oranges if you can.  You want movement, but not light and flowly.

Water.  A lot like air.  Blues and greens. You want movement and flow.

Earth... for earth I think pants might be good.  Earth is the stable element.  Perhaps sort of think "tree" when you make the costume. Smiley 

I like all of these ideas. For water I'd go with something silky or slinky like ...I think it's a rayon blend? the really smooth fabric that is extremely smooth.

For earth I'd say something with texture and heaviness to it like corduroy or wool.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

dittoz
The Punk Rock Monster Girl

shhh... i'm invisible.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005 05:29:03 PM »

for water, it would be cool if you had a spary bottle in your purse, and misted urself a bit, not like really heavy just so you glistened, maybe for fire too.
For earth, you might want a necklace or belt made of something neat, like a cranberry chain or if you got really small pine cones.
For fire, if you decided to go with a teared skirt, it would be cool if the tears went form blue to yellow to orange to red.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silencepainter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005 05:31:38 PM »

for water, it would be cool if you had a spary bottle in your purse, and misted urself a bit, not like really heavy just so you glistened, maybe for fire too.

Oh thats an idea.  Another idea would be glitter!  Correctly colored sparkles and glitter could be really fun! (I just like glitter)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SillyLittleSquirrels

Coco says: Adopt a dog from your local shelter!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005 10:00:51 PM »

This brings back memories! when i was 8 I think, my family all dressed up as an element. I was earth, my dad air, my mom water and my brother fire. My dad made these really cool staff things (we weren't really THE elements, more like witches or whatever for the element) were he stuck a flashlight in a plastic thinnish pipe, and put a globe glassy thing. We covered the globe with thin paper and wrapped crepe paper around the pipe. When u turned on the light, it was all glowy and cool! I'mmainly just rambling, so I don't think I'll be of much help  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And those seen dancing were thought insane by those that could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
D-spot
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005 01:15:15 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions!  I will definitely pass them all on!

We are trying to stick to colors that match the elements.

The roomie who is earth bought some material that looks like grass to use, as well as some fake flowers, plants and bugs.

I really like the idea of a tiered skirt for fire, with all the different colors of flames.

I'm going to be water so i think i'm going to make a flowy dress with multiple layers of material. I was think about adding a school of fish or sequins to the dress, but that may be too ocean-esque.  I hope i get my act together in time to make the dress.

I love playing with make-up, so that will be a huge element to the costumes as well.  We've already got glitter spray and little crystals to put everywhere.

We are a little stuck with air though.  We are going to blow her hair back as if it was windy, and she is going to wear whites, silvers, and light blues, but other than that we are stuck.  I told her she should have a kite flying out of her hair, but she wasn't thrilled with the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jonathan Alter Talks About The Defining Moment
Meet Author James Loewen
Meet Author Vincent Flynn
Message to Librarians from Mac Barnett
Reynolds Price Reveals Her Motto
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...