A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please help me create a creepy bathtub  (Read 5674 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2005 08:40:56 AM »

We're having a Halloween extravaganza. The decorations thus far have all come out fabulous and creepy. The one thing I really need help with is creating a scary bathtub and I'm sure some of you have created your own terrifying bathrooms. Some info that may help:

• I can't use dye in water because it will stain the tub.
  • We tried red cellophane on top of the water but it didn't achieve the desired affect.
  • The mini-theme already going in the bathroom is voo-doo as we have shrunken heads hanging and a lovely altar planned.
  • I was tossing around the idea of doing a silhouette behind the curtain, maybe a man with a knife backlit, but I'm not sure how to execute

Any grisly ideas for the ol' tub?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyCarrie
Tutorial Contributor

Good at everything...Great at nothing

i crafted a kid

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005 08:45:26 AM »

I made a sillouette last year out of black poster board.  I just taped it to the inside of the shower curtain.  I made a man with a knife standing behind a woman in the shower.  Like the scene from the movie Psycho. I closed the curtain and put a battery operated strobe light in the tub.  I'll make another one this year.  I'll post a picture when I finish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Good at everything...Great at nothing
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005 08:48:25 AM »

you could put moss on top of the water to give it that swampy feel, throw in some rubber snakes, eyeballs, body parts...and depending on your rigging skills, when someone opens the door (or even better) lifts up the toilet seat, something pops out of the water.  like a headless torso.  mwhahaha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emma Lee
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005 08:52:34 AM »

Would any of the bathtub paints or similar products that they make for kids to draw/paint in the bathtub work? They are supposed to be easily cleaned up...there are tub paints, and I think there are also products to change the bathwater color. You could also throw in some creepy props to be floating in the water.

Also, my friend has always used a red lightbulb in her bathroom when she's thrown Halloween parties.

Good luck! Sounds like it'll be fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005 09:07:51 AM »

ooo, or a blacklight.  the bathrooms in burger king in vienna (i know.  but you know what, i wanted to know what i was eating for once.) were lit with blacklights, so just about everything glowed.  and it was pretty freaky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005 09:28:18 AM »

Thank you, thank you! I love all the ideas and will bounce them off of my friend this evening. And we'll definitely be posting pictures of the fiesta when it's over. I knew you'd help me, dear craftsters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Emma Lee
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005 09:56:56 AM »

Aha! I knew they made this. Here are the tub safe tablets I mentioned for changing the bathwater color...hope this helps! I see that red is included and the colors are supposed to be bright.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00027CJPU/002-9137100-0759224?v=glance

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Frew-Frew
Caution: Eye Irritant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005 10:01:43 AM »

Aha! I knew they made this. Here are the tub safe tablets I mentioned for changing the bathwater color...hope this helps! I see that red is included and the colors are supposed to be bright.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00027CJPU/002-9137100-0759224?v=glance

Crayola also makes similar bathtub colors and you can get them at most discount stores (wal-mart, target, etc). As a suggestion, to make the water really Bloody looking, add several tablets at a time. My son adores taking "blood baths" (sick and twisted, I know) And we add 3-4 tablets. The more you add the richer the color looks.

To make it look really bloody, almost like it is filled with blood, try thickening the water with some of those cellulose peanuts, Although I'd imagine in a bathtub you'd need quite a few.

Good luck   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chuck Norris does not knit. He bangs the table, and the shockwaves force the yarn to create clothing.

http://frousworld.blogspot.com/
stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005 10:40:27 AM »

We're having a Halloween extravaganza. The decorations thus far have all come out fabulous and creepy. The one thing I really need help with is creating a scary bathtub and I'm sure some of you have created your own terrifying bathrooms. Some info that may help:

• I can't use dye in water because it will stain the tub.
  • We tried red cellophane on top of the water but it didn't achieve the desired affect.
  • The mini-theme already going in the bathroom is voo-doo as we have shrunken heads hanging and a lovely altar planned.
  • I was tossing around the idea of doing a silhouette behind the curtain, maybe a man with a knife backlit, but I'm not sure how to execute

Any grisly ideas for the ol' tub?

I say you use the Urban Legend of waking up in a bathtub with your kidney misssing...You could pour ice into the tub and use it as a cooler for beer and beverages...attach a large note that always appears in the hotel room "Hi, you need to seek immediate medical attention, we have harvested one of your kidneys.  Thank you"  You can make it sound creepier than this (and add a little red paint to a small section of the ice)  If you Google missing kidney legend I'm sure you'll come up with the text for your note.  If you're really crafty, create a life size stuffed doll and put it in the tub, make his back all bloody from the hotel room surgery!

Hey how are those Shrunken Heads!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005 10:55:34 AM by stevenjames » THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
Ezri_B
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005 10:58:54 AM »

Excellent ideas already posted. I've gotten red acrylic paint (alot) then I got some old white towels from the thrift store and blood spattered the towels and a cheap white shower curtain ($1 from dollar store).  Kind of ala psycho. It looked nice.

When you said  voodoo I was thinking of the serpent and the rainbow. (It's been so long since I've seen it, I think that is the name) Where the one bathtub falls into the other ones. When the floors collapse. I can't really think of how to accomplish this, but it would be cool.

Fake bugs, snakes, vines, moss, etc... Don't clean it for a year, but you would probably need a years notice for that so maybe next years Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Maze
How to Draw a Boy Using the Word "Boy"
How to Draw Manga
How to Draw a Nude Woman
How to Brian Griffin
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...