A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,903
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pickle Favors?  (Read 3005 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

philodendron5
« on: October 14, 2005 02:44:21 AM »

SO! I am newly engaged and all of these ideas have been running through my head and now! I want your opinion too!

I've been thinking that for favors I'd like to give out.....a small jar of my Mom's world famous bread and butter pickles! YUM! I of course would fancify the pickle jar (simply of course). Do you all think that's weird? I think it would be a fairly economical favor and uber delicious.

AND THEN! The boy's (probably going to have to stop calling him that eventually, huh?) family has offered to make maple syrup in addition to the pickles.... (nothing like Vermont farm families, eh?) Would it be weird to give out pickles and maple syrup?

AND THEN! I was thinking.. I've been working on a family cookbook. Why not make a combination family cookbook and give out one to each family unit/couple/really awesome single friend... Is that over zealous? The wedding is a little over a year away...

(I've always been a little overzealous... do note the frequent "!" use... I even spell my name with one!)  Grin

I'm also thinking... that depending on how many children are coming I'd like to make small toyish favor specifically for them. Because.. what little kid really wants pickles? Of course these pickles are divine.. especially with room temperature VT Cheddar and ritz....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meatwad: I'm satan's onion... or scallion, something like that.

Frylock: I think you mean minion.

Meatwad: oh yeah, that's right.
psychodrea
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005 02:46:08 AM »

damnnit now i'm hungry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"how'd you know that?"
"....like any decent secretary...i listened in on the other line!"
PurpleHeather
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005 02:54:00 AM »

I think that sounds like a lovely idea, as long as it's something you're happy ding.  To me, I'd rather get a little table gift that has something to do with the couple getting married, than just something random from a shop.

The best Wedding I've been to had a special children's table, and an entertainer to keep them amused, so the parents knew they were safe, and the kids had a fun day.  I think that my cousin, whose wedding it was, got some local childcare students from the college to amuse them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

philodendron5
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005 03:02:55 AM »

The harpist and the concertinaist (is that a word) who are playing at the ceremony (hopefully!) are also storytellers. The plan is to have them entertain the kiddies in that weird"the ceremony is over and now the wedding party is being pictured, let's all get drunk at the open bar" time. 

I'm starting to think I need two years to plan.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stringy
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005 03:44:11 AM »

I think those are great ideas, and not weird at all, just very personal. Although you might find that doing all 3 might get a bit much when you're busy with other wedding stuff as well. But I've had any number of keepsakes and favours over the years, and my favourites are always the edible ones!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caradee
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005 07:08:29 AM »

Maybe you could alternate the pickles and syrup, so a couple would get one of each.  The recipe book sounds nice, but I think your budget is become all about favors!!  Why not just make them as thank you gifts for your parents, siblings close family and friends that help with the wedding (I'm thinking bridal party, shower hosts, or the actual "parent gift").
In Martha Stewart Weddings a while back the groom was a graphic designer and he made pickles as the favors.  He made a goegeous lable and went to a famous NYC pickle place.... if you come across it it might be inspiring.  He used the small tostitos salsa sized jars.
I definatley like favors that aren't traditional "wedding", I would NOT forget my pickles/syrup at the end of the night, your families ROCK.  great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing. felting. dyeing. hot glue bandit.
katymcf
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005 05:13:51 AM »

Sounds like you already have a theme coming together.

I agree that as the wedding gets closer, these things might seem like a bit much.  One suggestion is to maybe give the cookbook in bags that you make up for out of towners....or you could subtley suggest it to your bridal party as a favor for your shower.  My bridesmaids made a cookbook for a favor at my shower and it was a hit.  We gave strawberry jams as a favor at the wedding and at the shower we had a cookbook full of strawberry recipes.

Are you having a brunch the next day?  Be sure to serve the pickles and syrup there.  Darn, now you've made me hungry for real maple syrup!

Most importantly, it's your wedding...do what you you want.  If you want all 3 favors, go for it...it's your day!  Do what makes you happy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
philodendron5
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005 11:21:32 PM »

Thank you all so much for the input.... It looks like we're doing homemade raspberry jam, rather than pickles. My mom insists that pickles are inappropriate for a spring wedding, and since she's making it it's all good. Maple syrups a go though! And we're definitely going to do mini recipe books.. I think.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005 10:48:03 AM »

I like the little jars of goodies as gifts!!  Can I come to your wedding?...they sound TASTY!  If you do the 2 little jars...maybe put them in an itty bitty basket & tie the mini recipe book to the handle (with a ribbon or something).  Fill the basket with raffia, dried leaves, or dried flower petals (for spring).  That way the guests don't have to tote/balance little jars in their purses, camera bags, etc.

For the children...how about staying with your mini book theme & since their will be story tellers, making mini books of the stories they will be read??  Or they could get little jars like their parents...but little jars of candy/popcorn, etc., so they feel like they are getting the grown up gifts (but obviously not...hehe)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005 10:51:23 AM »

Here's a list of jams for wedding favors... Smiley

Pick a great recipe for your wedding favors

If you want to do something a little out of the ordinary, here are some ideas for "kicking it up a notch":

Fruit and Wine. Fruit and wine jams are captivating. Strawberry and champagne make a classic jam combination. Also consider raspberry, peach and champagne jam, or port and currant jam.

Hot, Hot, Hot. Jams spiced up with jalapenos and other hot peppers are sure to make a splash. Try raspberry jalapeno, peach jalapeno, hot pepper and mango/raspberry jam, or hot apple jelly.

American Gothic. Try gooseberry, currant, serviceberry, boysenberry, cranberry, plum or rhubarb concoctions.

Almost Aphrodisiac. Try jams that feature dark sweet cherries, strawberries, or figs.

Herbal Delights. Try rosemary and currant jam, blueberry lavender jam, strawberry lavender jam, or even tomato lavender jam.

Taste of the Tropics. Try jams made with exotic fruits such as guava, pomogranate, mangos, kiwis, limes, or pineapples.

Teddibly British. Black currant, orange marmalade, quince marmalade, tayberry, or even small pots of Devonshire cream.

from... http://www.favorideas.com/wedding-favor-homemade-jam.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Homemade Stuffing, Part 1
How to Make the Perfect Turkey Gravy
How to Use Thanksgiving Leftovers
How to Make a Thanksgiving Quiche
How to Make Thanksgiving Burritos
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...