A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,653
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pricing questions...  (Read 7794 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Adrienne
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2006 01:52:35 PM »

I learned to be tough about my pricing from my mom who did the craft fair scene for years (she made personalized christmas socks - all quilted and appliqued), baby stuff (like bibs and towels and whatnot) and all kinds of really beautiful knick-knacks. She always said that you should charge what you think it is worth PLUS 20%.

she was always really awesome to her customers but would politely take NO CRAP from people who said they could get "the same thing" for less.

Also, my boyfriend is a webpage designer. He has been instructed (after being far too generous a few times) that he should charge what he thinks he deserves TIMES THREE!

never sell yourself short.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Touch not the cat bot a glove.
taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2006 07:32:49 PM »

So glad I found this thread!  I'd say price between $25 and $35, but no more than $40 (unless you use a more expensive fabric or make a bigger tote).  I would rather buy a $30 handmade purse than a $10 Wal-mart one any day.  When I get the "I can buy it cheaper at a store" crap, I tell the person to do so and then report back to me how long that item actually lasted.  The only people you should surround yourself with are those who value quality...anyone else will just bring you down.

I used to really underprice my stuff (just look at some of the stuff on my etsy site), until last year when my Ceramics teacher fell in love with a pair of armwarmers I knitted.  She didn't ask if I'd make her a pair, but if I'd sell her a pair!  Now, why can't more people be like that?  She's an awesome mixed media artists who sells her work for up to $1000 a pop, so she 'coached' me in the art of selling.  Her pricing system is: price of materials + $10/hour X3. 

Now, I've been in school for 6 years (got my Associates, and now into a Bachelors) in photography and digital media.  About a year ago I was accepted to show at this kind of high end gallery where I can also sell my work.  All of my art teachers, and crafty friends were thrilled when they found out, but my parents - who think I'm wasting my life when I could be a doctor...ugh - don't understand why a person would buy a photograph when they can just take their little throw-away camera and take it themselves.  Last month someone bought a photo of a door with graffitti on it (my fav!) for $50!  Before the gallery, I showed at a local cafe and actually had people hunting me down through the phone book to buy my work.  Nothing went for less than $30.

I agree whole heartedly with the "take no crap" way of doing things.  My pricing system sounds a lot like Muscharoni's, but if I get too mathmatical, my brain just shuts down.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
sullengal

I can not stop creating. I pray I never will.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008 12:03:16 PM »

I am also glad I found this thread.

I have in the past crafted for love and gifts. Back in the day it was gifts ONLY. After a year or so on craftster though, I've branched out into crafting for passion and art.

However, most of the stuff I make now is admired by co-workers who have me starting a small side-business. Unfortunately, sa most people, I usually jump into the first thing (necklace, headband, sock monkey) not knowing how much time or $ it will take. By the end, I sell a one of a kind special sock monkey with crocheted clothes for $20 after $10 supplies and 8 hours of labor. Or a buckeye's necklace that took several hours in sculpting then beading for $10.

That one time thing isn't so bad...but when they show off my work (which is very sweet, I admit) they tell everyone they're worth $10.

So I have CUSTOMERS and backordered necklaces and totebags, but with no concept of what they are worth.

I think I'm sabbotaging myself!

~Sullengal
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/sullengal
My Etsy Store - http://Omphalie.etsy.com
Ongoing Swaps :
New Moon Swap - Sent!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gameday Recipes: Irish Stout Cheese Stuffed Burgers
How to Make Homemade Chips and Dips For the Big Game
How to Make the Carolina BBQ Pork Burger
How to Bake Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Upgrade
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...