A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pricing questions...  (Read 6684 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

andreamarie
« on: October 13, 2005 06:09:03 PM »

The elementary school where I teach has an annual Fall Festival.  This year they are allowing24 vendor booths.  I have reserved a vendor booth to sell my purses and totes  and other random crafty things I've made. 

I have a hard time with pricing because I don't think that people in my small town are willing to pay the prices that I think my bags are worth.  People don't seem to want to spend $20-$30 for a purse when they can buy one at Wal-Mart or Target for $10. 

So, when you're at a craft fair, do you price your items higher to begin with, then lower your prices as the fair comes closer to ending?  Or do you just start out at a lower price than you would like to sell your stuff at?

Here are a few of my bags so you can get an idea of what I make:

What would you charge?  What would you pay?

« Last Edit: October 15, 2005 07:31:25 AM by andreamarie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am selling my crafty things to raise some money to go towards my adoption costs!

You can find my stuff for sale at:

http://andreamarie.etsy.com
Nesse
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005 12:52:09 PM »

Neat bags. I'd pay up to ten bucks for them. I'm also going to a craft fair. In November. and I'm not sure how much to sell my bags for. Here's one of them:

What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amyshrugged

ohhh...we could start over again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005 01:47:21 PM »

just wanted to jump in here and say I think your bags are priced well on your etsy site, andreamarie... the $20 to $30 range seems appropriate, $10 seems like selling yourself a bit short.  You don't have a factory full of people making these... so you shouldn't be expected to match Walmart prices.  These are handmade and one-of-a-kind.  Emphasize their uniqueness if people aren't used to paying for handmade goods.  I'm sure they'll be snatched right up -- they look very well sewn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now accepting orders for custom handmade books.. treat yourself to a new handbound journal or sketchbook! 
PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
tinkertoy
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005 10:24:28 AM »

Hi.  I'm not to craftster and don't want to rant too much, but I think selling a handmade intem like that for $10 is not just selling yourelf short, but gives people the wrong  ideas about handmade objects and is bad for everyone in the long run.  I can't imagine it takes you less than an hour to make one of those bags, so with materials and your time, plus the time you put into designing and experimenting, the time selling, etc. you would probably be paying yourself less than what someone in the sweatshop making the Wal-Mart one makes.  It is hard when things are a 'labor of love' and you really want to see people buy your work, and figuring an hourly rate for yourself doesn't always work, but make sure you are at least breaking even after your costs and paying yourself what you think is reasonable for your time.  It is tough because crafters like ourselves are often not so wealthy and usually need to charge more than we would normally be able to pay for the item- I like to support other crafters but often just can't afford to, but I also work in a coffee shop and can't spend $4 on a coffee either.  Value your work and yourself, see how it goes at the higher prices first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andreamarie
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005 10:43:01 AM »

Thanks for the responses.  Just for the record, I'm definitely not going to charge $10 for my bags.  That would be crazy! Smiley  I've explained to a few people who have made the Wal-Mart comment to me that a bag I make is worth more than a Wal-Mart bag for many reasons... it's one-of-a-kind and not made with cheapy materials.  I pay more attention to detail than a factory seamstress because the point of my bags is not to make as many as I can as quickly as I can and as cheaply as I can just to try and turn a profit.  Mine is a labor of love.

Some people just want a bargain, which I understand, because I'm often a bargain shopper myself.  But, if I see something that I like that's worth a more expensive price, I'll splurge every once in a while and pay what the item is worth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am selling my crafty things to raise some money to go towards my adoption costs!

Nesse
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005 04:27:45 PM »

Well, excuse my comment. I guess you guys are right. I'm just really cheap and wouldn't spend much on a bag. and I guess selling my bag for 8 bucks was kind of dumb of me.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

matuta

separated and now back again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005 04:44:21 PM »

I hate to be negative .... *sigh*  ..... but I make bags too and while I have sold a few on ebay I am always discouraged by peoples remarks that "they can buy a bag cheaper somewhere else". Well duh, even the dollar store carries bags but you get what you pay for too. AND I am not putting dollar stores down, they are a treasure trove of amazing supplies for $1! Anyways, I sat outside at a street festival in Toronto for like 8 hours, chatted up the customers but could not sell one bag  Cry  It was so frustrating! My sewing is really good and if I knew how to post pics I would so you can see them. I even use designer fabrics but people sometimes look to get things for almost free. Needless to say I sold out of a whole bunch of cat figurines that were mass produced. It doesn't give much incentive to make things to sell.
While I am on this rant I'd just like to add that most of my friends (not all) don't seem to appreciate really nice gifts that I make for their new babies and small kids. I really spend time looking for fabrics that the kids and parents will like, But these gifts (quilted blankets, bibs, burb cloths, diaper bags, aprons) don't seem to be appreciated as much as store bought toys. oh well.
I'd say to you though ... don't undersell yourself. It's not worth selling an item for less and you end up losing money on it. I doubt that someone who pays little for such an item will appreciate it as much.

Good luck and I hope that you have much better luck than I did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andreamarie
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005 05:16:36 PM »

Nesse:

You don't have to apologize for your comment. Smiley  You were giving your honest opinion and I appreciate that.  As a crafter myself, there are a lot of things that I won't spend a lot of money on if I can make it myself.  I actually started making bags because I didn't want to spend a lot of money on one.

Matuta:

I have found that most of my friends really love getting handmade items from me as gifts.  One of my best friends just had a baby and I made her a diaper bag and I embroidered a bunch of baby onesies for her and she loved all of it.  And, most of my friends can count on getting a new purse from me at Christmas time. 

I guess maybe a lot of people assume that if something is handmade, it's cheap... since the cost of materials is usually less than the cost of a finished bag in the store.  But, the time and care that is put into making something for a person you care about it priceless, in my opinion.  I hope your friends will understand that one day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patiogardengal

Born to disturb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005 05:54:51 PM »

I'm brand new around here and a bit shy about chiming in on posts, but I felt for those finding their skills undervalued.   All I can say is, I know where you're coming from.

In the eighties I had a crafts business I quit because I could barely sell for cost.  The one item I had success with were handpainted pacifier keepers (I credit myself with inventing the first universal binky holder).  A few boutiques ordered, but soon wanted them cheaper.  When I lacked thousands (and desire) needed to productionize molds for mass production, they stopped ordering.

In the nineties it was custom cakes.  People who wouldn't blink at paying a week's salary to a fancy bakery would be incredulous if I quoted over thirty bucks, regardless of the cake's size.   They thought I just dashed into the supermarket, grabbed a 99-cent box of Betty Crocker mix, and whipped out a masterpiece in about an hour, like Lens Crafters.  Which of course couldn't be further from the truth.

In the new milennium I joined my husband, who does movie replica props and costumes.  Guess what?  Same deal happens to him.  People have expected full rubber batman suits (like the film) for under fifty bucks!  After all, they can run into WalMart and grab something off the rack for thirty or less, so where do we get off charging more?  We've actually been told this. 

After posting shots of my themed wedding (which we did the decor and costuming for ourselves), I've had requests for custom wedding work, too.  One girl asked for Amidala's wedding gown from the second Star Wars movie, and said she had seventy-five dollars to spend.  Seventy-five bucks wouldn't have bought the special lace for the veil, let alone the dress.  Another wanted a custom cake topper like ours, which had required eight hours and twenty-five dollars in materials.  They only wanted to pay twenty total. 

Long story short, this is how things are in this throwaway, mass produced society of ours.  I've found there's no use trying to explain why we charge more for handmade items than WalMart or the 99 cent store, because people don't have (or want) a clue, just a bargain.   Fortunately, there ARE those who want handcrafted items and understand their value,  but they're not always easy to find. 

Sorry for the long rant!!   I just wanted to share this so folks here won't take it personally when friends or prospective buyers say something thoughtless or fail to understand your pricing.  It's definitely not you!  Don't bow to pressure to undersell yourself because people are used to sweatshop bargains.

::steps off soapbox::
Janell

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lisa J.

Author of VISIONS and other romantic fiction
Writing in My Wildest Dreams at lisalogan.net
Do you write or read GREEN? Take the Green Writing Challenge!
amyshrugged

ohhh...we could start over again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005 06:00:41 PM »

thanks Janell... that was really eloquent and significant.  You should chime in more often. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now accepting orders for custom handmade books.. treat yourself to a new handbound journal or sketchbook! 
PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Captured Book Trailer
Philippa Gregory Reads from The Red Queen Part 1
A.J. Jacobs Wishes He Had This Talent
Meet Authors Virginia DeBerry and Donna Grant
Helene Cooper Talks About The House at Sugar Beach
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...