A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PEZ Shrine  (Read 1869 times)
Tags for this thread: shrine , pez  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thealtmartha
« on: October 13, 2005 12:53:28 PM »

So I have a good friend who is an aspiring filmmaker and she took a class on making a documentary.  The topic that her and two of her fellow students chose was a woman who collects PEZ candy dispensers.  The movie turned out great and was shown at a local theater with the other student films to a sold out crowd.  I was super proud of my friend for challenging herself to do something new and for putting her all into the project.  I also really enjoyed the film as I'm a bit of a pop culture enthusiast. 

To congratulate my friend on her film I made this PEZ shrine as a gift for her.  It took longer to finish than I would have preferred but that was fun because by the time I gave it to her the drama around her film had died down a bit so I think I totally surprised her.

The entire shrine was made from 100% salvaged materials (I live in Portland which has the best Goodwill outlet store ever where you buy things by the pound right before they send it to the landfill) including the paint, the glue, the PEZ dispensers, the frame, the little tiny camera, etc.  I started with a small 4" wooden shadow box frame that someone had done something with and then abandoned.  I took out the glass and painted the frame yellow on the outside and off white inside.  I used an order form from a PEZ package that had a picture of a bunch of dispensers to cover the back of the inside with little images of Garfield, The Simpson's, etc. and I used a little plastic Barbie size movie camera as the focus point.  I used magnetic words to write out "A Pez Film" under the camera.  My refrigerator is full of word magnets that I have salvaged from Goodwill so that was easy enough to do.  The "pez" word was from a Spanish set and apparently means fish.  The name of her movie is "Sweetly Dispensed:  Inside the Heart of a Pez Collector" so I used these old cloth tabs from a discarded office supply set to write out Sweetly Dispensed on the frame.  I put the little edges from negatives inside on the edges to look like film and added some glitter on the inside edges as decoration.  On the outside (which you can't see on the photo) I collaged a bunch of different colors and pieces of the candy wrappers on three edges as decoration from a side view.  The name of their film production is "Triple Chicks Productions" because three women worked on the film so I glued three pedestals from PEZ dispensers on the base to represent each of them and added a clown head from the top of a dispenser because he fit so well with the colors and is wearing a hat that says PEZ.

This project was a blast to make and to give away!  My friend inspired me by making the film and hopefully someone will be inspired by seeing the shrine I made to pass on a good deed to someone else.  Sorry the photos are crappy, my camera is a cheapie.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lararum
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005 02:04:00 PM »

very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005 02:25:25 PM »

Reading this totally freaked me out. I, too, want to be a filmmaker, and I took a class last spring at a local college. I had a hard time picking something to make my "movie" on, so I was talking to the instructor and he said, "Here's a really bad example, but say your grandfather collects comic books. You could do something on his collection, you know, a kind of documentary." I thought about it and realized--my mom collects pez dispensers! And so, I made a documentary simply titled, "PEZ." I had a brief section on the history, an interview with my mother, footage from a pez convention, an interview with Shawn Peterson (author of several popular guides to PEZ), and an interview with a guy who was selling original artwork presented to the pez company. The point in case is that this is a weird coincidence. I really like your shrine!

P.S., did your friend happen to use the "You're A Pez Head" song in her documentary?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grannystylee
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005 04:11:58 PM »

What a great friend you are!  I wish all gifts given were so thoughtful and personalized (and made from entirely re-used materials no less!)
   I esspesialy like the way you used the negatives to look like movie film, brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spinning_sumo
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005 09:23:54 AM »

As the recipient of this amazing gift, I must let everyone know how moved I was to receive such a thoughtful gift! I woulda paid big bucks for this peice of art had I seen it in a store. Truly. I love the three "legs" at the bottom of the shrine in celebration of our production"company", Triple Chicks Productions, and the personalized, typed note on the back. It was a blast making the PEZ film and this gift was like the cherry on top, like getting an Oscar award. Smiley  A very cool way to feel apprecitated! Thanks a million, E!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snlfreak83
Hemp Kitty Art

The Crafty Cat Lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005 03:51:03 AM »

That is one of the coolest and funniest things I have ever seen. I have a friend who has been collecting pez dispensers forever. Really creative and very well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafty kid. I just can't help myself.
bunnygirl82
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005 04:56:42 PM »

What an original idea!  I love this!! Smiley Grin Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Optical Illusion Ring
How to Make Bakeable Modeling Clay Beads
How to Customize Your Backpack
How to Make a Monkey Refrigerator Magnet
How to Create a Floral Centerpiece
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...