A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Green Bag With Cane Handles - My First!  (Read 1755 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lomax
« on: October 13, 2005 07:34:16 AM »

So after signing up with Craftster and then peering around for a while I came across the ever so popular 'Jordy' bag, I figured with a tutorial that well done I really should give the bag a try.. Now I only started last week, my first project was a rather ugly knitting needle holder which In the past few days I have vowed to do with more appealing materials and to add some quality to it... Don't get me wrong, I did a good job for a  trial.. I just see now all the places where I could have done something else or gotten the lines straighter another way..  

I feel the same about this bag.. I got to the end of it and I had figured out various ways that I could have attached the handles to this bag instead of the way that I had.. I have also come to realize the VAST differences in  interfacing options.. When I went to put the lining and the outer fabric together I would have been much better to has used some of the bonding web that you iron on seeing as I was given some! I also had a fight with the sewing machine in one point and there is a little bit of the dark thread I used for the outside on the inside... Other than that I am actually pretty happy with it.. I figure no one will really see the inside other than me Smiley

And now... For the images!

The fabric and handles...
http://jml.gotroot.com/greenbag/picture063.jpg

Handle pieces...
http://jml.gotroot.com/greenbag/picture061.jpg

The Completed bag...
http://jml.gotroot.com/greenbag/picture069.jpg

http://jml.gotroot.com/greenbag/picture070.jpg

http://jml.gotroot.com/greenbag/picture071.jpg

So, at the end of the day.. I am pretty happy that I managed to pull it off, I figured out better ways to do this style in the future and I will forever know  a way to sew a square bottom bag without having to sew a zillion pieces together Tongue
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011 09:21:08 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dark-Eyed

I craft, therefore I am.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005 07:57:15 AM »

I love it! It's so great! Where did you get such neat handles? And is it reversible? (it looks like it is). I think it looks perfect! Oh, and great fabric combo! Oh, I do like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haven't decided on a signature style. Am in process of crafting one.
lomax
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005 08:24:48 AM »

Thanks! I got the outer fabric from a remnants bin at Joann's as well as a bunch of other fabrics with the sole intention of using them to make bags, I find I never had the right one for the right mood (actually I never had any!), and I am/ wasn't really keen on really girlie handbags because all the ones I saw were not ones I would have purchased..  This green one fits in my small pencil case,  my glasses, either my a5 drawing book or my day planner.. wallet.. and its green Tongue  I am pretty sure that I got the handles at the same place perhaps on a different day Smiley

I gave reversing it a try and it seems to work, though the fabric around the handles is a little messy and as I said in the previous post there was a mishap with the sewing machine and there is some dark thread on the lighter side..  Other than that it looks alright Smiley I still prefer the other side on the outer and having that nice green lining to peer into Smiley 

« Last Edit: October 13, 2005 06:54:24 PM by lomax » THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005 09:41:29 AM »

wow that is gorgeous! I love your colour combination! Good Job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005 01:00:17 PM »

Very very cute!  Nice job for your first try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
hotkiss2
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005 01:40:05 PM »

Very beautiful.Good job, but the handles are not cane it's called mulch or elephant grass.We have lots of it here in Dominica growing all over.So the Caribs here use them for stuff like that.Anyway, you did a fantastic job, couldn't have done it myself Tongue.Congrats!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetpadee

I'll diffuse you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005 02:02:00 PM »

Hey great job with your bag! It caught my eye because I have done a few purses with cane handles and had some difficulty figuring out a visually appealing way to make carriers for them. I love your method! The bag looks awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005 04:45:45 PM »

hotkiss2 that is very interesting about it being elephant grass on those handles. I actually thought they were bamboo. Thanks for the tip now I'll have to do some searching around and when I do see something I'll be wondering. Very cool to get info like that and attach it as a label somewhere inside the purse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lomax
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005 07:12:36 PM »

Thanks for the kind replies! Well I said it was cane because the label on the said -cane- so I figured that was what it was... But now that you point it out I am curious as what the differences are in the handles I have seen, it is definitely something I will have to look into in the future. Smiley

Sweerpadee - The way that I did them in this instance was not really the most successful IMHO, seeing as  moments after having finished it and looked at it I realized at least a few ways that I could have done them which would have been easier to sew.. One would have been to  work the handles into the outer layer in the same piece and then to wrap it around and under the inner lining.. I guess I can experiment with them on the next few bags I am going to make Smiley I would be interested in hearing about anyways you try to do this style in your bags Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
espritz
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005 08:33:51 AM »

e bag is awesomeeee!!  Cheesy neat job for first timer!

i love e bag. period.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* black fish blue fish old fish new fish; this one has a little star; this one has a little car; say what a lot of fish there are *
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Taking Flattering Maternity Photos
What You Need to Take a Great Picture
At Last, A Formula For What Photos The Internet Likes
Every Instagram Filter, Definitively Ranked
A Boudoir Photo Shoot Is The Sexy Gift That Keeps On Giving
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...