A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitty Crinkle Bag  (Read 8245 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_bed , jordy_bag , cat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bubbledragon
« on: October 12, 2005 05:04:07 PM »

Taking a hint from a poster somewhere who mentioned buying a simplicity pattern for these, only to find it was in essense a Jordy bag with batting and cellophane as a lining, I decided to make one myself.  My Taboo is very young yet, and doesn't seem affected in the slightest by catnip (I don't think kittens are).  So I've been struggling to find things to entertain her with.  (She does love fuzzy mice, but my dog keeps stealing them from her and chewing them apart.)

Anyhow, here it is.  It was actually quite difficult.  The outer material is a dark/black jean type material, and the inside is fun kitty face flannel.  (I found it at walmart, but I don't think they make it anymore.  Oh well.)  I ended up sewing the denim as a layer, then pinning the sheets of cellophane to it and stitching it on separately.  The lining doesn't quite stay in, because it's slippery, so I may add a few tacks in the corners to keep it inside.  Don't worry too much about the cellophane getting out of control - it's supposed to be crinkly, right?

Unfortunately, Boo isn't much interested in it - I had to stick a treat inside it for her to even get near enough for this picture.  Maybe another time.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
radal16
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005 08:23:19 AM »

I feel your pain...  I made a fish-shaped cat "cave" for my cat from a Simplicity pattern.  It used a lot of foam and my machine wouldn't stitch through it so I ended up handstitching almost the entire thing, bled all over the place too.  Now my cat won't get near it and it sits around as cat toy storage.  Sigh...

You did a really nice job though, love the print on the inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inna
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005 09:06:48 AM »

I feel your pain, I was going to make the fish cave or a crinkle bag for my cat, luckily I gave her a paper bag to play in first - she didn't like it. My cat has a thing for boxes - the smaller the better. So now I am thinking of knitting her the kitty pi - the circular bed - I think I will sew up a quick version to see if she would like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
redrose1028
Leanne

ciao~hola~salut~hello~

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005 05:58:13 AM »

my cat would probably like this- she doesn't play with toys, all she does is hide from my dogs,eat, use the bathroom, and sleep. seriously. she is like the laziest cat. Smiley

i like the pink/purple print with the little faces on it tho

your cat looks just like mine, but mine doesn't have as much tan spots Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`'.(`'.**.').')
`..*Leanne*..`
(.'(.'**`'.)`'.)
shylitlegoddess
Jill of most trades

Why is there bacon in the soap??

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005 07:35:03 AM »

The thing about cat nip is you have to start introducing it at a young age. (6-9 months) otherwise cats don't develop and interest in it.

I have two cats... one is a year and a few months, one is 18 years. The younger I introduced to nip early by rubbing it into a scratching post.

The older of the two wasn't introduced to it by his previous human companions so he doesn't care for it.

My kitten might like something like this... She likes things that make noise.

Thanks for the pic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snlfreak83
Hemp Kitty Art

The Crafty Cat Lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005 05:13:22 AM »

I feel your pain, I was going to make the fish cave or a crinkle bag for my cat, luckily I gave her a paper bag to play in first - she didn't like it. My cat has a thing for boxes - the smaller the better. So now I am thinking of knitting her the kitty pi - the circular bed - I think I will sew up a quick version to see if she would like it.

One of my cats have a thing for boxes as well. And the same thing goes for ones that are smaller...except for the fact that he is kinda big...not really a huge cat but not tiny...and I've watched him attempt many times to fit into boxes that end up ripping as he gets in. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafty kid. I just can't help myself.
dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005 11:58:26 AM »

My cat LOVES paper bags. I wanted to make something crinkly for him that would last longer than a paper sack, but I didn't know what to put in it to get the noise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Toadstool

'Ol Green Eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006 06:47:48 PM »

Haha! This is so adorable Smiley

FYI, my Walmart still has the same kitty pattern in stock if anybody is interested Smiley I believe it's between 2.50 and 4 dollars a yard (i dont remember, my sister got it a few weeks ago), but I can pick anybody up some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eveel

www.sinfulknitter.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006 05:01:25 AM »

May I suggest this pattern?

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=63399.0

It's the felt cat toy pattern.  I made 3 of them yesterday and my younger cat actually came into the living room carrying one to play, something she hasn't done in ages.

They take little stuffing, In fact, I just used the scraps of felt and for one of them, a tissue.

I am off to make a dozen more for a few ladies at work.

ps. love the bag, my cat is too nervous for one like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has justified my packrat behaviour
melkat02
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006 07:58:45 AM »

How cute!!!

My cat has no interest in catnip either and never has.  (he's 1 year old now) But he does love anything with bells and cellophane "crinkle" balls. 

I actually bought one of these crinkle bags for him at wal-mart but yours is MUCH cuter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sauteed Peppers and Onions
Cornbread and Pinto Beans Recipe
Cabernet Steak Sauce Recipe
Grilled Cabernet Tenderloin Recipe
Holiday Recipe Substitutions
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...