A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,911
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycled Halloween- Post your ideas  (Read 4862 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rangerbeth
« on: October 12, 2005 10:39:06 AM »

In an effort to consume less (yeah I know I know, but every little bit helps) I've been trying to decorate without purchasing those decorations that won't last and will just fill the dumpster after the season. I made some little "critters" out of old lightbulbs (the big fat type) painted with plain jane acrylic paint and pipe cleaners.

I would really love everyones input to make this a festive, but lest wasteful season.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tamagotchi
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005 10:54:55 AM »

I love them, they're adorable!  I don't have any pictures of my own to post, but here are some recycling-friendly ideas:

1)make decorations out of pine cones and nuts from outdoors
2)cut out monsters from craft paper and tape them to the windows so that they appear to be peeking out
3)make paper spiderwebs using the same technique as for paper snowflakes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
rangerbeth
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005 11:26:39 AM »

Such great ideas tamagotchi! I immediately went on a hike to get some twigs and came up with this fall tree! Its just twigs spray painted black with "leaves" made of twisted up tissue paper glued on with a glue stick.

Keep the ideas coming! I know we have some "greens" in here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005 12:10:35 PM »

oooh, i love the tree..i may have to use that for the buffet table at our Halloween party.

We are throwing a spooky extravaganza and have used almost all recycled items to decorate.

For yard tombstones we carved styrofoam sheets that came as shipping padding.

My girlfriend had tons of gift tissue paper that she's been saving from gifts over the years that we accordian folded into large paper flowers (our party is specifically a Dia de los Muertos meets Night of the living Dead party).

For a few weeks we collected tin cans as we cooked, drilled holes in them, and painted them in bright colors to use as luminarias on the front porch.

We also picked up some white sheets at a garage sale and used red food coloring to create very creepy and realistic bloody sheets to cover the furniture.

We really haven't spent much on anything else considering the scale of the pary. It's taken some hard work and lots of planning but it's also been way more fun than just buying stuff at the story.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tamagotchi
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005 12:24:23 PM »

Such great ideas tamagotchi! I immediately went on a hike to get some twigs and came up with this fall tree! Its just twigs spray painted black with "leaves" made of twisted up tissue paper glued on with a glue stick.

Keep the ideas coming! I know we have some "greens" in here!

these are so beautiful!  I am in awe of your recycled-craft godliness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
honorhappy
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005 05:07:41 PM »

Wow, I love the lightbulbs and the twigs...I'd keep the vase out all year!

I'm doing a lot of recycling crafts for this Halloween, mostly due to being broke right now.  I took paper bags and added halloween magazine/catalog cutouts.  Those will be luminaries for the porch.  I made a few record bowls for candy dishes, and I found a jack o latern but I'll be keeping him so that's not wasteful (actually, he may become a planter this spring).  I'm duct taping an UGLY chair on our porch in orange, and it'll probably stay that way.  I'm making a sign for the trick or treaters with the backing of the a notepad and some wire.  I may make glue gun spiderwebs (draw a design of a spiderweb, trace with glue gun, let cool, peel off the cardboard...I didn't make this up, but I don't remember what website I found it on).  I'll be keeping whatever I can for the next year as well, or for other crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cafeywalsh
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005 08:15:11 PM »

You can fashion a skinny out of scale scarecrow out of old pantyhose stuffed with old quilt/pillow stuffing or rags.

Torso legs & arms--
Just put 2 stuffed pantyhose together with the waists touching and tie up the legs a little farther to make the torso longer and have part of it left for arms. Head--
Take another pair of hose & stuff the panty part to make it more round like a head and shred the legs to look like hair bunching it up.

Tie rags on for clothes and paint a face. You could also use raffia or yarn for hair.

Use whatever you have to tie this thing together-- cut stips of more pantyhose, duct tape, wire... Use whatever is in your rag bag to dress this thing... the more raggedy the scarrier!

I haven't made this yet, I just thought it up from an old lifesize doll that My mom made of ragedy ann-- she just stuffed it with old pantyhose and is was very nice. I think that using the actual hose as the outside matierial will make it very scary with the beige coloring.

I'll post once I make one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005 05:06:24 PM »

Light bulbs as Halloween decorations?  Brilliant!  I just replaced three bulbs and was wondering what I could do with the burnt bulbs...thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
strangerthanyou
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005 05:23:44 PM »

I'm not sure if this counts, but me and my friend usually go the thrift store to put costumes together. Like, this year we're searching for things for fairy costumes, and then modify them if needed. It's so much better than buying costumes, and much better quality than, say, party city.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ohhdarling

Stuff me in your bones.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005 05:30:02 PM »

Just today I saw some really cute homemade Halloween decorations. They were decent sized rocks with skull faces painted on them. Looked really neat. I thought they would look especially cool with Dia de los Muertos style skulls painted on. Also, when I was a kid, we used to make little ghosts out of Kleenex by crumpling one up in a ball, placing it on the middle of another one, and then using string/elastic/ribbon to secure (like a little sachet). Draw a little ghoulish face on, and hang in the tree. This is pretty juvenile but if you did it with scraps of fabric and did more than a typical child's drawing of a face on it, they could look cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We calm ourselves with store-bought dreams.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Party Hair for Every Length
Short Hair Trend Taking Over Hollywood
How To Clip In Hair Extensions And Curl For Big Volume
Exclusive: How to Add Instant Bangs With Clip-In Extensions
Exclusive: How to Apply a Clip-In Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...