A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hotel Key Cards  (Read 2058 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sallamander
« on: October 12, 2005 09:23:39 AM »

I've been lurking and admiring for a while, but this is my first post.

My husband used to tour with a small theater company, and, for some wonderful reason, he saved all of the hotel key cards.  I have two four inch stacks of them!  They are mostly the same shape and size, although some are longer or narrower.

We also just bought a pair of very expensive airplane tickets to CA for the holidays, so I am racking my brains right now for clever, cheap gift projects. 

So far I am thinking that I could use little rings to connect them at the corners into an open box shap, add handles and a lining to make purses.  Or maybe somehow make a small card wallet with them.

Any brilliant inspiration out there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005 12:27:09 PM »

Can you make a row of holes all around each card?  Maybe with a hot ice pick or a drill?  Then you could crochet them together to make
  - a bag or portfolio
  - desktop boxes for Post-It notes, Cd-Roms or pens
  - "in" and "out" trays for a desk
  - a travel wallet, with sections for passport, money, credit cards
  - maybe even some small wall shelves - sort of like a printer's box with lots of compartments

With just a few holes on each side, you could join them with jump rings and make a room divider

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
honorhappy
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005 01:13:00 AM »

You could make a belt.  Maybe you could use them to decorate the frame of shadow box, and put little momentos of your trips together.  Put them all together in a poster frame, with any plane ticket stubs and reciepts you may have had.  Decoupage the cover of a scrapbook/a box for other momentos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kewlchik
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005 12:44:12 PM »

I know people were shrinking chip wrappers and making key chains out of them. Would these shrink or bend if heated? If you could bend them, you might wrap them around a wooden spoon and make beads with them, and then you could do a necklace or key chain. The other thing I was thinking of was, couldn't you use them as picture frames making the little stand from something, gluing it to the back and put a glass blob on the front with your pics under it and maybe a little hand painted message?Or magnetic strips to the back for cool fridge magnet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sallamander
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005 07:36:55 AM »

Can you make a row of holes all around each card?  Maybe with a hot ice pick or a drill? 

Well, I had some freetime last night, so I dug out this awl to start poking holes when my husband suggested that I use the drill press!  Duh!  So much easier!

So I drilled holes in two sets of cards to make bags: 3 cards vertically accross, 2 cards horizontally for the bottom, 1 verical card for each side.  I'll post pictures when I do the next one.

I had some trouble making the bag to set inside.  I sewed one, but the seams were visible through the gaps between the cards and it looked awful.  I'm not the most inspired seamstress.  I think I am going to get some thick wool felt and stich little boxy lining-bags out of that.  Maybe with little velcro or snap closures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SKerri13
Tutorial Contributor

Don't Eat the Paste

conformity is subversive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005 07:40:20 AM »

I'd be interested to know as well. I stay at the Sheraton a few times a year so mine aren't all mixed, but I keep them too.
Smiley I was thinking of  turning them into luggage tags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sallamander
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005 08:43:20 AM »

Luggage tags!  what a great idea! 

You would just need some ribbon, cord or straps and maybe a buckle.  If the info on the luggage tag was set, you could print a cute little info label out on a printer and maybe decopage it to the card. 

I actually found, last night, that the diagram/info side of the card is much more fun and interesting than the hotel/advertising side.  Except for a few that had "welcome" written in large scripty letters.  It has a very chic post-modern, industrial design effect.

I am definately going to try that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Frew-Frew
Caution: Eye Irritant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005 11:48:06 AM »

Whatever you do with them, make sure you destroyt the magnetic strip on the back. They actually carry a lot of your personal information on them.

This is a way cute idea, though, a Vegas Hotel key purse would be awesome  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chuck Norris does not knit. He bangs the table, and the shockwaves force the yarn to create clothing.

http://frousworld.blogspot.com/
sallamander
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005 12:48:03 PM »

Whatever you do with them, make sure you destroyt the magnetic strip on the back. They actually carry a lot of your personal information on them.

Wow.  Good thought.  How do I destroy the info?  Could I just run a strong magnet across them, or do I need to actually damage the strip?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mh_ccl

Everyone's a super hero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005 10:40:51 AM »

Wow.  Good thought.  How do I destroy the info?  Could I just run a strong magnet across them, or do I need to actually damage the strip?
I worked in several large hotels, and I don't think you need to worry about the magnetic stripes. All it holds is the room number and the date/time the card will expire. Your name, address, payment info is on the hotel computer, which is a different system.

If, however, you are still worried, simply take a magnet and run it across the strip a few times. I've seen cards that were demagnetized by credit cards (stronger magnetic strip) and cell phones (don't know why), so a simple magnet should do the trick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Scanning Technique in Sudoku
The Double Scanning Technique in Sudoku
Collecting Modern Sports Cards
Collecting Vintage Sports Cards
Collecting Sports Cards
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...