A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hotel Key Cards  (Read 1904 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sallamander
« on: October 12, 2005 09:23:39 AM »

I've been lurking and admiring for a while, but this is my first post.

My husband used to tour with a small theater company, and, for some wonderful reason, he saved all of the hotel key cards.  I have two four inch stacks of them!  They are mostly the same shape and size, although some are longer or narrower.

We also just bought a pair of very expensive airplane tickets to CA for the holidays, so I am racking my brains right now for clever, cheap gift projects. 

So far I am thinking that I could use little rings to connect them at the corners into an open box shap, add handles and a lining to make purses.  Or maybe somehow make a small card wallet with them.

Any brilliant inspiration out there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005 12:27:09 PM »

Can you make a row of holes all around each card?  Maybe with a hot ice pick or a drill?  Then you could crochet them together to make
  - a bag or portfolio
  - desktop boxes for Post-It notes, Cd-Roms or pens
  - "in" and "out" trays for a desk
  - a travel wallet, with sections for passport, money, credit cards
  - maybe even some small wall shelves - sort of like a printer's box with lots of compartments

With just a few holes on each side, you could join them with jump rings and make a room divider

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
honorhappy
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005 01:13:00 AM »

You could make a belt.  Maybe you could use them to decorate the frame of shadow box, and put little momentos of your trips together.  Put them all together in a poster frame, with any plane ticket stubs and reciepts you may have had.  Decoupage the cover of a scrapbook/a box for other momentos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kewlchik
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005 12:44:12 PM »

I know people were shrinking chip wrappers and making key chains out of them. Would these shrink or bend if heated? If you could bend them, you might wrap them around a wooden spoon and make beads with them, and then you could do a necklace or key chain. The other thing I was thinking of was, couldn't you use them as picture frames making the little stand from something, gluing it to the back and put a glass blob on the front with your pics under it and maybe a little hand painted message?Or magnetic strips to the back for cool fridge magnet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sallamander
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005 07:36:55 AM »

Can you make a row of holes all around each card?  Maybe with a hot ice pick or a drill? 

Well, I had some freetime last night, so I dug out this awl to start poking holes when my husband suggested that I use the drill press!  Duh!  So much easier!

So I drilled holes in two sets of cards to make bags: 3 cards vertically accross, 2 cards horizontally for the bottom, 1 verical card for each side.  I'll post pictures when I do the next one.

I had some trouble making the bag to set inside.  I sewed one, but the seams were visible through the gaps between the cards and it looked awful.  I'm not the most inspired seamstress.  I think I am going to get some thick wool felt and stich little boxy lining-bags out of that.  Maybe with little velcro or snap closures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SKerri13
Tutorial Contributor

Don't Eat the Paste

conformity is subversive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005 07:40:20 AM »

I'd be interested to know as well. I stay at the Sheraton a few times a year so mine aren't all mixed, but I keep them too.
Smiley I was thinking of  turning them into luggage tags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sallamander
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005 08:43:20 AM »

Luggage tags!  what a great idea! 

You would just need some ribbon, cord or straps and maybe a buckle.  If the info on the luggage tag was set, you could print a cute little info label out on a printer and maybe decopage it to the card. 

I actually found, last night, that the diagram/info side of the card is much more fun and interesting than the hotel/advertising side.  Except for a few that had "welcome" written in large scripty letters.  It has a very chic post-modern, industrial design effect.

I am definately going to try that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Frew-Frew
Caution: Eye Irritant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005 11:48:06 AM »

Whatever you do with them, make sure you destroyt the magnetic strip on the back. They actually carry a lot of your personal information on them.

This is a way cute idea, though, a Vegas Hotel key purse would be awesome  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chuck Norris does not knit. He bangs the table, and the shockwaves force the yarn to create clothing.

http://frousworld.blogspot.com/
sallamander
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005 12:48:03 PM »

Whatever you do with them, make sure you destroyt the magnetic strip on the back. They actually carry a lot of your personal information on them.

Wow.  Good thought.  How do I destroy the info?  Could I just run a strong magnet across them, or do I need to actually damage the strip?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mh_ccl

Everyone's a super hero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005 10:40:51 AM »

Wow.  Good thought.  How do I destroy the info?  Could I just run a strong magnet across them, or do I need to actually damage the strip?
I worked in several large hotels, and I don't think you need to worry about the magnetic stripes. All it holds is the room number and the date/time the card will expire. Your name, address, payment info is on the hotel computer, which is a different system.

If, however, you are still worried, simply take a magnet and run it across the strip a few times. I've seen cards that were demagnetized by credit cards (stronger magnetic strip) and cell phones (don't know why), so a simple magnet should do the trick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Romantic Loner
Romantic Loner Short
Saving and Recovering Your Photos in Photoshop CS6
How to Draw Ken the Eagle from Science Ninja Team Gatchaman
How to Draw Master Croc from Kung Fu Panda 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...