A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Accesorize! Gauntlet/Bracer type things.  (Read 7773 times)
Tags for this thread: arm_warmers , tutorial , bracer  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CaptainRiley
Dirty Pirate

Methinks it is like a woozle.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2004 10:09:50 AM »

I actually made these a number of years ago...

...but do remember exactly how it was accomplished.

1) I created a pattern by measuring my around my wrist, around the point on my forearm that I wanted the things to end, and the legnth I wanted them to be.  Then I subtracted how much space I wanted between the laces from the first two measurements (because laces look cool), and drew a lovely polygonal pattern. 

2)  Next step was cutting.  With said pattern I cut four pieces of black fabric and two of fusable interfacing...

3) ...heated up the ol' iron and fused those suckers together (fabric-interfacing-fabric, of course).

4)  Enter sewing machine.  I took some legnths of black double-fold bias tape and stitched it around the edges for that suave finished appearance.

5) Eyelet time!  There are somewhere between fifty and sixty eyelets between the pair.  I punched a quick hole, stuck the thing through, and hammered it to death with the eyelet tool whilst languishing cross-legged on my kitchen floor.  Add in periodic feline interferance, and it was quite the feat.  I also managed to hit my hand over seventy times.  I'm graceful and coordinated, really!

6)  Embellishments.  I simply fired up said ol' iron again and produced a couple of coordinating Wal*Mart-ian iron on patches.  A little ribbon for laces, and voila!  Prettiness!

I plan to make another pair over the summer, and would be willing to attempt to assemble a step-by-step picture tutorial if anyone would be interested.  Problems encountered with my initial attempt oh-so-many years ago include:

-Rough edges on the eyelets.  I sanded them on this pair, but would be interested in perhaps using very small grommets next time (if they make them)

-With so many eyelets, putting these things on takes forever and a day (with considerable effort).  I'd be interested in trying something like velcro, though I love the look of laces (it was the original reason I started this whole thing).

-As iron-on patches will do, they have begun to separate from the project.  While I'm sure I could fix that with the proper glue, it also leads me to think of other forms of embellishment.  Perhaps using a contrasting bias tape?  Make my own patches?  Use a more interesting fabric to begin with?

Comments?  Suggestions?  Witty one-liners?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sagaciousblonde

i'm a ninjaneer!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004 10:17:49 AM »

Those look really cool!  Were they inspired by anything in particular?

What might be neat (and what I might now try) is to incorporate the design elements- the embellishments, the eyelets and laces- into larger arm or wristwarmers (though I suppose the whole open, laced-over gap defeats the purpose of said warmers).  Or to mod a pair of long black gloves for the same effect...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Waiter! Waiter! What's this robot doing in my soup?"
"It looks like he's performing human tasks twice as well, because he knows no fear or pain."

http://sagaciousblonde.etsy.com
CaptainRiley
Dirty Pirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004 10:25:27 AM »

So they're nonfunctional arm"warmers", at least they'd look cool.  Smiley

I was thinking to try a rather complex idea where they'd go all the way up to my biceps, like opera gloves, and maybe have the lacing be more a spiral pattern around the arm than an actual functional set... if that made any sense.  I can only imagine how difficult that would be, though. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amalia
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004 02:00:58 PM »

i cringed when i read your grommet story!! poor dear. I have this great little tool that makes grommeting about a billion times easier. It looks like a hole puncher, but it actually inserts grommets. you put a piece of the grommet on both sides of the fabric and squeeze the puncher... saves a lot of time. that way, you can keep the awesome lacey part of those arm dealies. which are super cute btw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and i'll carry you, if you promise to carry me, and we'll carry we. it's a simple thing, you and me.
twitching_cheerio
Moody Teen

fyi...thats not me...thats KAC :or: Kevin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004 04:35:53 PM »

omg those are so cute!!! i wuv things like that. they are uber awesome. and yes, i would be interested in a tutorial featureing pictures because i am instructionally challanged without pictures. well...not completely but still...also that grommet puncher  Amailia posted about
i cringed when i read your grommet story!! poor dear. I have this great little tool that makes grommeting about a billion times easier. It looks like a hole puncher, but it actually inserts grommets. you put a piece of the grommet on both sides of the fabric and squeeze the puncher... saves a lot of time. that way, you can keep the awesome lacey part of those arm dealies. which are super cute btw.
that is very cool because, like CaptainRiley, i am o-so graceful and talented. i hate putting in grommets cuz my fingers get al brused...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not all Scars Show
Not all wounds heal
Sometimes you can't always see
The pain someone feels

|K|e|v|i|n| |A|l|e|x|a|n|d|e|r| |C|l|a|r|k|
my Anti-Drug
Jera
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004 10:10:06 PM »

Those are pretty. What kind of fabris did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be to her virtues kind, Be to her flaws a little blind"
CaptainRiley
Dirty Pirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004 11:20:23 AM »

Scrap fabrics left over from making a skirt for RenFair, so I'll guess some form of cotton.  I can't remember the exact specifications, but I think most any form of fabric would work, if only the sewer is skilled enough to handle it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Poprocksandcoke
child of the spookie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004 03:01:54 PM »

those are cute. I like the roses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your mouth is likean open sore, where kisses rot and die
virtuoso
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004 07:21:45 AM »

interesting. I enjoy arm warmers mucho!

Hey, I'm a newbie here, can you tell me how to post my own posts?!~!

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DontEatCrayons
Just Fabulous Darling

crafty embroideress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004 09:06:19 AM »

muchly koolio  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Calligraphy Flourishing
How to Find Calligraphy Courses
How to Illustrate a Sphere
How to Paint Building
How to Paint Portraits from Photographs
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...