A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,030
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help threading needle  (Read 666 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

uplate6674
Professional Insomniac

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2005 12:46:56 AM »

I CANNOT, for the life of me, thread embroidery thread through my needle. I have one of those hand needle threaders, but no matter which way I try, I can't get it to work.

Can anybody explain how to do or provide a link with this info?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Im wide awake
Wide awake
Im not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no"

-U2
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005 06:43:45 AM »

First, the most obvious question,  Are you using an embroidery needle, or a sharp?  An embroidery needle has a long eye, and a sharp has a small round eye.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fidget
You have my undivided atten...Look! A bunny!

la-da-dee la-da-daa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005 06:55:31 AM »

Are you stitching with yarn or floss?  If floss, how many ply are you using?  If you can't get the floss through the eye of the needle, I'd bet you're using the full strand and not separating it into an appropriate number of ply.  (Standard embroidery floss (DMC, Anchor) one strand will separate into 6 ply.)  Unless you're stitching on a very heavy fabric (and using a huge needle) you seldom need to use a full strand of floss.  For medium weight fabric 2 or 3 ply are probably sufficient, for light weight fabric, use just one ply.

If you're using yarn (crewel) and can't get it through the eye, the needle may not be large enough for the weight of the yarn.

Hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I feed my soul with the stitches I sew.
My Wists
I practice random acts of kindness at random moments for random reasons.
girlgeeknz
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006 05:45:03 PM »

I just started crewel embroidery. The instructions in the book I'm following said to hold the needle in your left hand, and loop the wool around the outside of the needle once. Pull the needle tight and 'pinch' the end of the loop with your thumbnail. Slip the needle down and out of your loop.

Now use your thumbnail to push the tiny, tight loop into the needle's eye.

I found this really helpful, as crewel wool is quite thick and fuzzy.

Claire
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011 10:55:15 AM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ERPilly
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006 06:09:48 PM »

Those little metal threaders aren't worth a lot.  They break on anything more than single strands, it seems.  If you have the right needle (with a long eye), and the floss separated, and still can't get it in, try using a long plastic threader (available in the store), or use beading wire that's thin and really strong, and make one yourself.  Make it nice and long to give your fingers room to really grab it and pull.  You really don't need a tiny needle for fabrics that don't pull.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chelsea
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006 11:40:14 AM »

This is how I do it, and it NEVER fails to work.  It even works with thread that's frayed a little because you squeeze all the frayed ends together, sometimes you'll have to roll it between your fingers a little, but it still works.   

You squeeze the end of the thread between your fingers so you can just barely see it. Then bring the needle to the thread (instead of trying to poke an inch or so of free (floppy) thread towards the needle).  Then to make sure it doesn't come out, push the needle through your fingers still squeezed around the thread and once the needle is partially through, pull the thread you're already holding w/ your fingers out and through the needle.  Sometimes you'll miss, but 98% of the time it works perfectly.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mafia Inc. Authors on the Donnie Brasco-Rizzuto Connection
John Marzluff Shows How Crows Recognize Human Faces
Isaac Mizrahi Interviews Susan Fales-Hill on Imperfect Bliss
Sally Jenkinson Performs Her Poem "Lullaby"
Jeffery Deaver Talks About His James Bond Novel "Carte Blanche"
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...