A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to get out of a funk  (Read 1055 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fruithead
« on: October 11, 2005 07:40:58 PM »

hey ladies (and those few guys out there)

i need your clever ideas and input. i'm in an awful funk. just blue and lonely (as all my friends are displaced and i haven't made a new one at university yet as i'm a good five years older than the rest), feeling ugly and uninspired and utterly bored with myself. i need a new interest, a new hobby, a new passion. to keep this on a crafty level, it is affecting my crafting as i have little inspiration to make anything or finish anything i start.

to aid in the suggestions, i love writing (creative and journalism), literature, tv, movies, music (music, music, music! rock music in all shapes and forms), fashion, stenciling, sewing, jewellry making and so on.

anyone know where i'm coming from? anyone have suggestions on how to get out of a funk like this? i feel like i need a big change, something new and fun and social. thanks girls!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FancyShmancy

smoke. drink. craft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005 07:48:51 PM »

i'm not sure what advice i have for you, because i've been feeling the funk lately, also... but i guess i would suggest possibly posting something somewhere in a local forum of sorts (maybe a campus bulletin board?) about arranging a crafting group or club... or perhaps one even already exists that you could join!

sometimes i would go knit at this local independant coffee shop in hopes of someone striking up a conversation after seeing me, but all i got were little old yuppie ladies! heh.

oh, and i usually buy new lipstick or do something with my hair when i'm feeling like i'm stuck in a rut... perhaps you could design and create some cute new clothes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seriously? like, seriously.
Kayla
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005 08:04:34 PM »

well my best advise is to strike out and do something completely new and fun!
is there something you have always wanted to try but never had the nerve??

when this happened to me i started to go out swing dancing, and well christmas will make 5 years of shaking my booty on the swing dance floor!!
i have met some of the most amazing people from all over my city and even the sourrounding cities! and to add to the greatness of swing dancing its a very international thing and so when i was traveling through Europe last spring i found all kinds of places to go dance and met locals and they always gave me the inside scoop on which ever city i was in!!

but if swing isn't your thing then some other out of the "normal" for you is what should be your next step cuz hey, even if you didn't like what you tried you can at least say that you tried it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wristcraft

A Craft a Day Keeps the Therapist Away!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005 08:06:36 PM »

Go to a craft store/fabric store and just hang around, looking at stuff. You might get inspired, or better yet, meet a nice craftster doing the same thing! Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005 09:01:24 PM »

Swing dancing is an awesome idea!

But in case you'd like to try something literary, and accessible at any time of your day:  Have you ever played a letter game?  You and someone else agree on a scenario/world/time; you each create a character; the first letter must establish WHY the two characters are pen pals; after that you simply keep writing back and forth -- only in character -- incorporating each others' creations into your character's story.

Example:  Jane lives on a boat.  June lives on shore.
              June mentions the three husbands Jane has in different ports, and suddenly the author of Jane has to adapt to that.

....  Undecided  Did that make any sense at all?

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
Jehnaier
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005 11:06:24 PM »

Well, if you love music, you could take up learning an instrument. If you play one already, you could learn a new one.

And I have to say, PimpernelSmith, your idea sounds really cool. I have to do that sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fabric

we are the blood of the beast

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005 12:01:03 AM »

you sound precisely like myself.
Sorry to say, i'm not quite out of the funk yet so i'm not sure what's tried and true.
Things i'm thinking about doing though, include:
renting an instrument for a month without lessons and trying to make some wierd post-rocky music.
shutting up the "what are you going to do with that?" monster in my head and just sit down to make an elaborate collage.
any art. ANY art. the inspiration may not be there... it may feel forced as hell... but i think it's actually been helping.
wow.
wanna hang out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hippie9

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005 11:43:51 AM »

I recently moved to Vancouver, BC (and am set to move to Seattle, WA at the end of the month) and was infinitely lonely, with no friends. I used to live in Ontario for a very long time and all my friends are there.

Anyway, I listed some stuff on freecycle.org and found a friend! We've gone to movies and hung out and have even driven to Seattle together!

You could try freecycle, or craigslist.org
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/
fruithead
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005 02:24:40 PM »

keep the ideas coming ladies! suggestions like these are exactly what i need--and all the others feeling like me.

Swing dancing is an awesome idea!

But in case you'd like to try something literary, and accessible at any time of your day:  Have you ever played a letter game?  You and someone else agree on a scenario/world/time; you each create a character; the first letter must establish WHY the two characters are pen pals; after that you simply keep writing back and forth -- only in character -- incorporating each others' creations into your character's story.

Example:  Jane lives on a boat.  June lives on shore.
              June mentions the three husbands Jane has in different ports, and suddenly the author of Jane has to adapt to that.

....  Undecided  Did that make any sense at all?

Smiley

that is a hilarious idea! i love it! now i just have to find someone silly enough to do it with me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005 02:27:21 PM »

that is a hilarious idea! i love it! now i just have to find someone silly enough to do it with me!

I must admit the I am silly enough!  I'm just so swamped with unpacking and trying to get a start on holiday gifts (I'm making almost all of them this year) that I hesitate to offer. I'd be so *&%*& slow and erratic in the writing.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Replace face a In Photoshop
How to Remove Date/Time Stamp from Your Photos
New Mic Test - Product review
How to Use Vanishing Point Tool in Photoshop
How to Import Brushes in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...