A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 301,998
Currently Running With Scissors:
400 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: flea market questions  (Read 3363 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mizswim4him

yeah whatever..

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2004 06:30:44 AM »

(I checked and I didn't see any threads that answered my questions so I just went ahead and posted)

Ok, If I rented a booth for a flea market,  how much stuff should I bring?  Does anybody here normally sell a whole lot at flea markets?  Also, would it be ok if I brought more than one different type of thing (like purses, pillows, and then soaps) or would that look unprofessional?  I'm just now going to try flea marketing to see how it works for me so any advice will be gladly taken!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004 06:33:23 AM by mizswim4him » THIS ROCKS   Logged
coffee

i need more coffee...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004 01:16:48 PM »

i've been doing a street sale for a while & sometimes the less stuff we have on the table the less stuff we sell.  i think people are more inclined to come to your table to shop if there's lots to choose from.  earlier in the day when our table is full of merchandise we get a lot more customers looking, but at the end if there's only a few things left people don't seem very interested.

*e
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee drinker,
bookbinder,
quilter &
creature maker
OldQlts
shop with me on ebay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004 07:31:06 AM »

Ok, If I rented a booth for a flea market,  how much stuff should I bring?  Does anybody here normally sell a whole lot at flea markets?  Also, would it be ok if I brought more than one different type of thing (like purses, pillows, and then soaps) or would that look unprofessional?  I'm just now going to try flea marketing to see how it works for me so any advice will be gladly taken!

for flea markets, it's usually "anything goes" [if it's legal  Roll Eyes] ... unlike craft fairs, where i think one would be better off with a more "focused" booth. re: flea markets, the only thing i'd suggest in the way of merchandise is not mix junque and yard sale stuff with handmades. i think it would still be worth it to do a great display, even at a flea market. lots of first-timers just set things on a table. i call this the "tin soldier effect" when everything is lined up Just So. use height, use different levels to display things on. it doesn't need to be a "fancy" display, you can use crates or benches or baskets, i.e., things you might have around your home. good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrairiePrimitives is my eBay ID. I tried to put a link here, but it didn't work. Sad
mizswim4him

yeah whatever..

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004 08:11:09 AM »

ok thanks! that totally answers my question.  I am going to a flea market so I will go ahead and take all of my little handmade goodies..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BluegrassBeagles
Swamp Witch

Rrruff! Rruff! <Bark!> Rruff!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004 08:25:17 AM »

I agree with Craftyboy. I have learned the hard way that folks coming to non-craft-specific events simply don't want to or aren't willing to spend the price that an item costs. For example, last weekend I did a spring festival in a nearby town. Lots of lookers and admirerers, but folks were spending money on the games, rides, and drinks. (it was HOT!) Fortunately, I made my booth fee back, but that's all I made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've discovered the wonderful world of blogs:
http://swampwitch.wordpress.com/

REduce
REuse
REcycle
REJOICE!
mizswim4him

yeah whatever..

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004 03:23:37 PM »

thats what I was pretty much afraid of.  The flea market has already happened and I made 30 dollars (not included the booth fee) and was there all day. i don't think it was worth it- next time I'm going to try a craft fair!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mr. Twigg

Twig furniture makers are naturally twisted !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004 02:48:26 AM »

Hi mizswim4him !
Generally speaking the more you bring to any venue the better your chances are of selling something. One thing I have found out about fleamarkets however is the mindset of the tipical customer at these markets is, well let's just say <i>cheap</i>. Granted you deal with smalls and I build furniture but the net result will be pretty much the same. Stick with dedicated craft shows, juried shows are best and take the time to set up an attractive, professional display. You'll have more sales and have a higher average sale too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Twig furniture makers are naturally twisted !
flyingfish
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004 06:38:19 PM »

thought i'd put in my two cents even thought you had a bummer expierence at your market....
i've done flea's, fairs and farmer markets.... first off- with all these types of markets it is differnt every week (or every time they host the event, total gamble). as far as selling crafts at flea markets i think it depends on the type of flea that it is.... do the type of folks frequent the market who would be interested in your wares? i think this is the basic question to look into for any market situation. if the buyers are there- then go for it. i would recommend checking out the scene a few times to see who's shopping....

this can also be applied to what you bring, especially if you make a variety of stuff- use you best judgment to feel out what you think folks will buy. BUT there is always a surprise sale to possibly be had so be prepared... i recommend bringing a lot of your best sellers (or things you may feel the best about, or the lower priced items) bring back-stock in bins that you can store under your tables in case your supply gets low, and brings a little less of maybe's (new items and higher priced things) and see if you have a secret seller....

i'd say give it another whirl unless it was a total bummer, also if you do give the flea another chance bring along some sewing, or other project to work on- i'v found people like to see the "crafters" in motion- even if it's not what your selling....

good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flying Fish Design... ))    -:|:-
                              .  .))
                             ((.   ..    -:|:-  www.flyingfishgallery.com
                             -:|:-      ((.*
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004 05:10:03 PM »

... would it be ok if I brought more than one different type of thing (like purses, pillows, and then soaps) or would that look unprofessional? 

I don't think people will mind if you have a motley collection of things. I love going to craft fairs... I look at everything, and more often than not, I see vendors with a variety of items for sale. Sure, there's always  "the soap lady," "the photographer guy," and "the old lady who loves to knit." But then, you also get "the people with the doll clothes, paintings, lollicups, and jewelry."

I say, make whatever you want and go for it. The more random stuff you have, the more likely you'll appeal to different shoppers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenfish
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005 10:35:14 AM »

I'm doing a flea market sale for some local church this upcoming saturday. 10$ a table.. and I'll sell my jewelry.. 10 bucks isnt that bad, and hopefully I'll sell something. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dress Like Model Cara Delevingne
How to Get the Mila Kunis Look
How to Get a Great Wedding Guest Look
The Fashion Industry Needs To Nix Body Labels
How to Give Your Wardrobe a Summer Makeover for Less
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...