A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: question about paper...  (Read 1920 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

erinscissorhands
« on: October 11, 2005 12:20:13 PM »

alrighty, i did a search on here but didnt find exactly what i was looking for- i am about to start binding books and i finally have all the supplies i need...except for the MAIN one- paper for the pages. i dont really want to use cardstock but i will if thats what is recommended. i would like to purchase it in bulk and i am looking for something that isnt flimsy like printer paper. i have seen some paper on a few sites but they were all pretty expensive, and the bookbinding supplies sites dont even have any paper besides the stuff for the covers listed. the reason i dont want cardstock is because it usually runs on the expensive side. im looking for something that is durable enough to hold pictures but also good for writing/drawing. any suggestions would be awesome, regular stores or online stores, im up for anything.

thanks-erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy shop- http://www.operationpapercut.etsy.com
my blog- http://www.operation-paper-cut.blogspot.com
OPERATION PAPER CUT- hand bound journals, stationery and more.
amyshrugged

ohhh...we could start over again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005 12:48:38 PM »

ok... didn't mean to go off like this, but finding good bookbinding paper is something that occupies way more of my time than it should.  Really, why is it so hard to find something nice??  I feel your pain.  Here is my advice.

if you live near a Michael's or a Hobby Lobby (or similar) you can get large sheets of paper (usually about 19 x 25 inches) that is a nice quality... suitable for drawing or papercrafts, but not as heavy as cardstock.  Usually $1.15 - $2.50 for what I pick up (Drawing paper examples: Canson Mi Tientes I think?  Also Fabriano Tiziano).  You just cut it down to the size you need.  All different colors, sometimes with flower petals or threads in it, and usually different weights are available too.  Kind of nice because you can tear the edges with a butterknife if you want kind of feathery edges, or you can make really sharp cuts with some kind of blade.

These oversized sheets are ALSO nice because you can make sure the grain of the paper goes in the right direction.  Take a sheet of paper -- any sheet not made by hand -- and bend it so that the top and bottom are together.  (Don't fold/crease it, just bend.)  Now unbend, and bend the two sides toward each other.  See how it's easier to bend in one direction than the other?  That's the way the grain runs, and if you utilize that natural quality of the paper, your bookbinding will be easier and neater, and will resist warping over time.  (Most types of office paper have a grain that runs parallel with the longer edge; i.e., hot-dog bend is easier than hamburger bend, haha)  ::Phew::  Sorry for that tangent! 

*If you DO end up using cardstock, try getting coverstock instead, as it folds a little easier, try folding with the grain direction, instead of against (perpendicular to) it, and definitely use a bone folder, or at least the bowl of a spoon, to help you make sharp creases and avoid that cracking effect.

Back to paper sources.  I have my eye on some paper at this site: www.paper-papers.com.  They offer lots of nice paper in "Full Sheet" (~19 x 25 inches) size, and they will ship it that size or cut it down for you.  This is kind of pricey though. 

Also check out bookbinding shops like www.hollanders.com -- I am partial to these people because they are an awesome local business, very helpful and knowledgeable! -- here's a link to their papers: http://www.hollanders.com/decorative_papers.htm  scroll down to the last category and check out some of the offerings. 

If you are looking online, search for text-weight papers, and choose something in the 70-100 gsm range.  70 gsm is like a nice writing paper; 100 gsm is nearing cardstock thickness, but not as stiff.  (These would be similar to a 30 - 40 lb paper, if that helps.)

I guess I would mention the full sheets at Michael's/Hobby Lobby again, or else pads of drawing or sketch paper.  Pastel paper is nice because it's heavy, but not so heavy it doesn't want to fold.

Sorry this was so long... I am a little bit of a paper whore.   Roll Eyes  Hope it helped a little.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now accepting orders for custom handmade books.. treat yourself to a new handbound journal or sketchbook! 
PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
erinscissorhands
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005 01:05:54 PM »

oh thank you sooo much! i actually ordered from hollanders this morning...i should have looked around more for that paper there!

anyway, yeah my biggest problem is trying to find paper with the grain that runs the way i need it to. and it seems that in most cases it runs long, so forget folding in half to split it up.

your idea for the paper at hobby lobby is great! i think this will work perfectly, i dont mind cutting it to size thats actually what i was looking for, i want to make a lot of different sized books and this is perfect! thanks a ton, i was starting to think i was retarded for making this so difficult!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amyshrugged

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005 01:13:30 PM »

hehe... no it really is difficult!!  I dont know why it's so hard to find good paper... and I'm really relieved you dont think I'm a huge freak for launching into such a giant monologue about paper.  Yay.  Smiley  If there's more paper you want at Hollander's (so glad you have already found it & ordered!  They rock.), call them and see if they will add it to your order.  I bet they will, if they can. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now accepting orders for custom handmade books.. treat yourself to a new handbound journal or sketchbook! 
PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
onthinice
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005 08:39:52 AM »

I'm really relieved you dont think I'm a huge freak for launching into such a giant monologue about paper.

Hey, thanks for that monologue!  You gave me a bunch of possibilities for branching out.  So far I have only used 65 lb sketch paper from those 11" x 14" sketch pads.  It has worked fine so far, but I have been wanting to use something different for a change.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Into fictional letter writing? PM me. We need more characters. What am I talking about? Read about it at Dante's Wardrobe.
amyshrugged

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005 08:07:55 AM »

thanks onthinice... I'm really glad someone identifies with my paper obsession.  Smiley

I work in an office supply superstore that will remain unnamed... the best part of my job, of course, is the paper!  (lol.  I may be truly in need of help.  ah well.)  So this morning I noticed that the little kids composition books (1st, 2nd, 3rd grade) are compiled in one big signature, just like the "big kids" composition books... only these ones have those really cute dotted lines that show you how far to extend your letters!  Different sized lines for different grades.  I am pretty excited about this prospect... so I had to share it with you two.  It's not really sketchbook quality paper, but it's definitey cute for a notebook.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
amyshrugged

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005 08:23:57 AM »

ooh!  dangerous!  hehe.  thanks for the tip!  (and I really like the idea of actually using the kiddie paper to make journals for kiddies.  instead of for college students that like strange papers.   Roll Eyes)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
erinscissorhands
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005 09:43:14 AM »

yeah, i had just ordered through them and 10 minutes later they posted that thing about their sale...oh well, better savings next time Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

erinscissorhands
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005 09:43:59 AM »

also, is pastel paper a type of paper? im confused now...ive looked for it and all they give me is papers that are pastel colors :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amyshrugged

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005 10:24:58 AM »

um.. I don't know!  Hehe.  I was referring specifically to Strathmore Pastel (assorted colors)... here's a link: http://www.misterart.com/store/view/001/group_id/338/Strathmore-400-Series-Pastel-Pads.htm

it's 80lb paper, with a nice texture, the colors are muted but interesting, it's acid-free, it's tape-bound so you don't have to trim off the leftovers of spiral binding, and best of all, it's short-grained, so you can make decent sized books with the smaller sheets.  Got a 9 x 12 pad at Hobby Lobby for $3.59.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best and Worst Dressed at the IHeart Radio Music Awards 2014
Did Kim Kardashian Go Too Far With These Ripped Jeans?
Light Things Up in the Bedroom with Glow in the Dark Lingerie
Charles James Fashion Show 1982 Hosted by Halston - The Videofashion Vault
How to Dress Like a Celebrity on a Budget
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...