A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,902
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Project ideas for an uber-newbie knitter?  (Read 576 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

facelikeallama
« on: October 10, 2005 12:20:01 PM »

Okay, so the only things I've ever knitted before are scarves, but I want to move up to something different and a little more challenging.  Thing is, every thing I look into doing just looks so difficult and, well, scary.   Tongue  I want to improve my knitting, not get frustrated into quitting!

So, ideas for a sort of a stepping stone project I can do to ease myself into more difficult knitting projects?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005 12:30:01 PM »

If you've got Stitch and Bitch (the first book), you could always do an umbilical cord hat.  They're super easy, and you get valuable circular, joining and double pointed needle experience.  And you can always donate the finished product to a hospital for newborns... just make sure you use supersoft acrylic yarn so it can be machine washed easily, and won't irritate the baby's head. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
gaiter_girl

Hullo, My name is Bear. Grrrrrrrrrr.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005 11:07:17 AM »

Heh...it took me forever to move past flat knitting so I can suggest things like the fraggle rock hat somewhere around Craftster.  Try doing a search (maybe "beginner knit projects") here too.  I can't remember what my search terms were but when I was new I found a lot of great suggestions here.  I even found a thread (of course I can't find it now) that had a list of suggested projects and what skills you would learn from them.

In general, I would say look for patterns for hats, bags, arm or legwarmers...they're all good little projects where you can learn new skills and not be committed too long to one project.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My my...aren't we a knotty little girl?
Baigneuse
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005 02:08:55 AM »

Another easy project you could do is the devilish shrug here on craftster. It is basically a couple  rectangles that require some sewing but with very cool results.

The fraggle hat is also a good idea. In fact it  is the hat I'm wearing in my avatar picture. That pattern can be found on marniemaclean.com.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005 02:41:15 AM »

for new knitters i definately agree with the shrug idea.... (that devilish shrug was mine Baigneuse was reffering to so you can ask for help anytime) other then that fun hats with pigtails are definately good (fraggle rock hat) or different bags are fun and easy... arm warmers are a must knit... ive knit many easy yet fun things so if you want to have a look at my site for ideas go for it.. and ask any questions.. it doesnt have to be hard to look good ...  Smiley oh link for site is in signature
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lynnsch
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005 06:08:48 AM »

My first non-scarf project was a felted cloche hat...very easy to knit using bigger needles, and any mistakes I made were felted away.  I definately recommend some felting because if you make any mistakes, the end result doesn't suffer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Blossom from the Powerpuff Girls
How To Draw Yoroi From Naruto
How to Draw Kid Goku
How to Paint HBK Shawn Michaels
How To Draw A Native American Tipi
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...