A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jayne Cobb...glove?  (Read 1525 times)
Tags for this thread: jayne_cobb  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shizknit
« on: October 10, 2005 06:55:03 AM »

Greetings fellow browncoat knitters!

So, I decided a while ago that I would attempt the Jayne Cobb hat made by so many others.  Well, I went out with my wife on a multi-state yarn hunt for the right colors, and got pretty close.  I ended up settling on Lamb's pride bulky in Red Baron, Sunset Gold, and Autumn Harvest.

Anyway, this weekend, I got all the yarn and then remembered that I've already knit at least 5 or 6 hats for myself (I've been knitting less than a year, so I'm pretty much a "hats and scarves" knitter).  Realizing I didn't need one more, I decided to head into glove territory.

So what if Ma Cobb had sent Jayne gloves instead of a hat?  Well, I think it might look something like this:

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/uploads/43254/glove1.jpg

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/uploads/43254/glove2.jpg

I wasn't following any pattern, but instead went completely "off the cuff" (ha!)  I've been hunting for an easy glove pattern that uses a bulkier yarn on large needles, but have never really found anything, so I just combined some ideas that I had seen in other glove patterns.  Being a guy with big hands, I am nearly incapable of knitting on anything smaller than US10.5 (this was done on 11's).  

Well, I'm somewhat pleased with the end result.  I think with what I've learned, I should be able to make a decent pattern for my next attempt.  Words of caution:  

• On yarn this thick, the glove is very warm!
  • I would consider moving down to 10.5's, just to tighten it up a little bit.  Even though its warm, if you want to make a functional glove on big needles, big holes in the fabric will reduce the ability to trap heat in outdoor wind.  
  • I knit the thumb separately and then stitched it on.  That might work for smaller needles/yarn, but its pretty clunky around the seam.  I might need to try something else

Not sure if I'm going to make a twin brother for this guy, but if I do, I'm pretty sure the trigger finger will be fingerless (How else would Jayne be able to please Vera*?)

*NOTE:  It might be appropriate to mention that Vera is the name of Jayne's favorite gun.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2011 12:00:15 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
remisica

Perception is a vicious cycle. Groar!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005 07:32:34 AM »

anticipating filthier minds?  Grin
i dont knit, sadly, but i like the design for your glove. and the fact that ur a boy knitter crazy enough to run pass the neighbourhood store for ur yarn.  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look for me in the white forest, hiding in a hollow tree.
samilynn9
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005 11:21:54 AM »

Really impressive! I cant beleive you are a new knitter and just "figured out" that pattern! Gloves seem so complicated to me....If you ever do write that pattern let us know! ( was it knit on 2 needles?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sammy :-)
redpurse
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005 03:30:32 PM »

Shizknit is my husband... I'm so proud Grin   I taught him to knit last year and now the student has surpassed the teacher. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shawnkyr

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005 06:07:29 PM »

Well congrats to you, Redpurse, on a student well taught!  And it takes gumption for a new knitter to tackle gloves sans pattern.

And really, if Ma Cobb were anything like most of us, it's entirely reasonable that she'd work up a whole set.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meeja
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005 01:57:29 PM »

Love it! Good for leftovers from hats too. Luckily I did mine with DK doubled, which means I can make gloves half as warm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shizknit
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005 02:04:58 PM »

Thank you all for the encouragement! (except Redpurse...I expect it from you!)

samilynn - It was knit on a set of 5 size 11 double pointed needles.  Fortunately I had an extra set, which was helpful when I got around to knitting the fingers.  I'm working on writing up the pattern in a legible way, and when I do, I'll post it.

Shawnkyr - I guess I *am* working up the whole set...I started on the 2nd glove yesterday evening,  Maybe I'll get to the hat and scarf eventually (knitted gun cozy for Vera?...hmmm!)

reminisca - I'm not gutsy enough to go into the yarn stores alone.  I drag my wife along!  I tease her that I can hang on to my masculine side as long as I don't learn to crochet, because as we all know, crochet is for pansies!  Grunt grunt!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shizknit
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005 02:11:47 PM »

Love it! Good for leftovers from hats too. Luckily I did mine with DK doubled, which means I can make gloves half as warm!

That might be a good idea...any thicker and they'd be the "Jayne Cobb oven mitts"!  You women with your small hands capable of knitting on smaller than size 11's....I'm envious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beach House Memories Book Trailer
Michelle Harrison on Her New Book Unrest
Hilary Weisman Graham on Her Book Reunited
Bremmer on His Book Every Nation For Itself in a G-Zero World
Sequels: Do You Need to Read the First Book?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...