A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to learn the german way of knitting. Help.  (Read 865 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shirley Ujest

Nothing to see here, move along.

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2005 04:10:03 PM »

My MIL is from germany and can knit like she is on expresso-crack combo ( and she doesn't like to knit, she prefers crochet)  the way she learned 50-55 years ago is completely different than what I have learned.  She hasn't knitted in probably 5 years but mmmaaaan, is she fast.

I had been talking earlier that night with a friend of mine who lived in germany years ago and was re-taught the proper way to knit ( not the american way) and she agrees, it is faster. Things are not Knit and Purl, but Left and Right.

I take these two collisions of the exact same thought from two seperate people  as a message from the Crafting Goddesses that I Need To Learn How To Knit Zee German Way.

Does anyone have any good links to such a method for either on cd-rom or whatnot?  ( I learned to knit from a Cd-Rom from coats and Clark, its very good, btw.)

Since I am new to this wonderfully addictive thing, I'd like to give it a try while I am nursing my first cold in a long time.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lillyanka
Yarn Ho

Foodie, photographer wannabe, knitter, WAHM

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005 06:21:27 PM »

If by german you mean continental (holding the yarn on the left hand) go to www.knittinghelp.co m. This website has videos that show you how to knit very clearly. They also have a CD-ROM with all the videos from the website and some extras, which costs $20. I tell you, this website is the best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lillyanka/

Blog: http://www.diariodeunagourmande.com

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lillyanka/

Currently on my second read of George RR Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.
"You know nothing, Jon Snow."
Shirley Ujest

Nothing to see here, move along.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005 04:06:44 AM »

Yes, that would be it, continental.

Thank you lily!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhiandmoi
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005 04:52:57 PM »

A super fast way to knit  (which I don't know how to do) is to knit continental for one row thenbackwards English for one row. That sounds like what she does knitting left and right.

http://www.wonderful-things.com/backword.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005 05:20:02 PM »

Did you know that the throw method of knitting, which actually began in England and travelled via the British to America, was developed because it looked more proper for an English lady?  At that time, for proper British families, knitting was a hobby more than used for providing needed garments, so speed was not a consideration.  The throw method was considered more seemly, and so it was adopted by those who knitted for pleasure and something to busy their hands while they had tea and cakes with the other women of society.  And even then, the continental method was still used among British families who were making utilitarian items.  I found it very interesting.  Personally, I learned to knit continental because the other way made no sense to me at all.  I used a video that I found on a thread here at Craftster, but I'd be hard pressed to find it these days, I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
lillyanka
Yarn Ho

Foodie, photographer wannabe, knitter, WAHM

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005 09:13:26 PM »

Yes, that would be it, continental.

Thank you lily!

No problem. I help you today, and maybe one of these days I'll need you to help me. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lillyanka/

Blog: http://www.diariodeunagourmande.com

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lillyanka/

Currently on my second read of George RR Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.
"You know nothing, Jon Snow."
gaiter_girl

Hullo, My name is Bear. Grrrrrrrrrr.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005 10:58:39 AM »

Lothruin...that's actually really interesting.  Where do you find these factoids???  I'm all about random trivia and you seem to pop up with cool tidbits all over Craftster (not that I'm stalking you...we *ahem* just frequent the same boards and whatnot).

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My my...aren't we a knotty little girl?
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005 12:07:39 PM »

lol, well, if you want to know the truth, Gaiter_girl, I've always been full of seemingly useless trivia.  I am constantly seeking out knowledge, and I don't seem to forget very much, so I've got stores of random facts just floating around in my head.  But, I also belong to a trivia website, where members make trivia quizes on many and varied subjects, and I was writing a quiz on knitting history.  It was during the research for that quiz that I found that little tidbit.  I'd heard it before then, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
wrybrarian
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005 12:37:29 PM »

Wow, cool thread! I knit the "continental" way, too, which is the way my mom learned to knit, and her mom, and her mom's mom and so forth...it's kinda cool. I'm about fifth generation American, but there is still some "old world" in me!

And yes, I have to agree with the suggestion to use knittinghelp.com. It demonstrates everything for righties and lefties.

Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introduction to Adobe After Effects - Overview
Grass Text Effects
How To Create A Masked Image in iWork Pages
How to Create and Color Objects in Illustrator Lesson 3
How to Create and Color Objects in Illustrator Lesson 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...