A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me! I need an idea for a birthday present!  (Read 2145 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GummiSteph
« on: May 07, 2004 10:35:56 AM »

My older brother is turning 22 pretty soon and I have no clue what to get him for his birthday.  I am seriously short on funds so I want to make him something, but I have noooo idea!  He's gay, really into music (classical if that makes a difference) and he is an anthropology major.  I know that probably doesn't help, but if any of you have any ideas, please let me know!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004 10:43:12 AM »

How 'bout buying an unfinished wooden box from michael's or joann fabrics and decoupaging some classical sheet music on it?

if any funds remain, you can put a cd inside the box. otherwise, he has a nice box to display and store stuff in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
beccajo

I Lurve to Craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004 12:42:55 PM »

I think a really good gift would be a bookcase or CD holder....a few years back I made a really cool CD shelf that sorta looks like a greek temple-without a pic it will be kinda hard to explain but here goes.

I took 2 spindles from a hardware store that were 3 feet high and a plaque (so it looked like steps leading up to the parthenon or something) from a craft store that was about 8x10......then I took some scrap wood and measured it against the size of a jewelbox.  I cut the side pieces 3 feet high and marked them where the shelves would go (the height of the jewelbox plus 1/2 inch to allow for shelves) and screwed them into the plaque the same measurement jewelbox+1/2 inch apart so they could stand up straight or be stacked one on top of the other. On the second shelf I drilled out a small hole so a phone could be hooked up in that shelf-that's where my cell charges up now. Anyway.....then I got a piece for the back-1 inch plus jewelbox width times 3 feet high.
Shelves were just crappy scrap wood, I did end up cutting out a small portion of the shelf so they could 'slide' in but you could just screw them in there.  Screw everything together, screw it to the plaque, and then screw the spindles out front to act like pillars. 

So then I also made a little slanted roof-but you don't have to do that. I just liked the birdhouse look
 Wink  I painted it black then painted it white for the shabby chic look, but I'd rather have painted it with a coppery patina.  Just didn't have the patience at the time.

All told, I spent about $10  If you have a good scrapyard in the area, you should be able to get away with making it cheaper than that......and power tools made the job MUCH easier.....will do my best to get a photo of it if you want!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

won't you brighten a wee cat's day?

www.eoinadesigns.co m/shop.html
new crafter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004 07:21:12 PM »

I really like the classical sheet music idea..it seems like a personal,one of a kind gift.He'll know you put thought into it and didn't just go grab him something at a store!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hopeevey
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004 09:09:31 AM »

Just a few ideas:

make a cd holder - fabric or paper could work
find out what sort of notebook he uses for class and decorate one or more for him
make him an address book.  Everyone needs a sturdy address book
decorate pens and/or pencils for him
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gemjams
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004 11:51:23 AM »

For my best friends birthday I made him a leather wallet and some cuffs!! He really loved them and they were really simple to make!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade jewellery, clothing and accessories

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BettyStiletto
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bearing in to Win a Race in Backgammon
Bearing in to Save Gammon in Backgammon
Change Game Plan in Backgammon
Holding Game in Backgammon
Why Not to Hit Too Early in Backgammon
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...