A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I do require... a SCARF  (Read 682 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mackster
« on: October 09, 2005 12:52:20 PM »

Hey everyone!

So, the deal is - I have some beautiful yarn sent to me by a friend, and I absolutely must knit a scarf with it. The problem is - I tried knitting Mom's Sophisticated Scarf from SnB Nation with it, but the gauge is just odd, the stitches are too wide and thus would not be a warm scarf. I tried altering gauges and such to make it work, but bah.

SO - I've come to you witty and awesome crafters with a challenge - can you guys help me scour the web for a good scarf pattern?

Rules - I'd like something along the same lines as the Mom's Sophisticated - that is, a relatively wide and long scarf, with SOME sort of a pattern to it - whether it be an interesting rib, some sort of basketweave pattern, whatever - nothing too difficult but will make it a little more interesting then, say, a 2x2 rib or garter stitch.

I mean, if there's something you think I might like, post it anyway - I'd love to see as many possible patterns as possible!

Here's the yarn specs:

Rowan felted tweed
50% merino wool / 25% alpaca / 25% viscose/rayon
50g
gauge: 22 sts and 30 rows = 4 in in st st (size 5 US/3.5mm/9 UK needles)
Link to the Rowan site with the yarn itself.

Thank you all in advance! <3
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005 12:55:27 PM by Mackster » THIS ROCKS   Logged

teruterubouzu
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005 04:27:03 PM »

What a nice gift. Have you seen the "My So Called Scarf" pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amey
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005 11:49:55 PM »

What about simply swatching a stitch pattern you like and then using that swatch to determine the number of repeats you'd need to make it as wide as you'd like?

So, if you want to do a basketweave that gives you 20 stitches over 4 inches (this is COMPLETELY hypothetical - numbers pulled out of the air).  if you want an 8 inch wide scarf, then you need to cast on 40 stitches.   If you want a 12 inch wide scarf, then cast on 60 stitches. 

This site might give you some ideas: http://knitting.about.com/library/blstitches.htm

~amey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jazzybelle
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005 06:23:43 AM »

Make sure that if your swatch rolls up on itself, that you add a border of a reversible stitch. Seed stitch has always been my favorite for scarves and stuff. I think garter stitch is too distracting...

And I have the perfect yarn for "My So-Called Scarf" and I've decided that I must make it, right now, even though I have (with all seriousness) thirty seven scarves sitting in my closet from my crochet mania two years ago. Fun Fact: I have never knit a scarf, because when I learned to knit, I had more than fifty scarves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***I love personal swaps!***
Jazzybelle
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005 07:41:58 AM »

Word of advice: I made a swatch of the pattern for the My So-Called Scarf, and it's REALLY dense. So use big needles with less stitches. And does anybody know if, in the second row, you're supposed to PURL in the first stitch after the P2tog? Because it didn't look right when I knit it, so I purled it and it looked fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***I love personal swaps!***
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Raita
How to Make Plain Raita
Fry Your Paratha
Presenting the Paratha
Roasting and Presenting the Paratha
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...