A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 307,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help a clueless aussie throw a halloween party!  (Read 5880 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

killer_threader
lord polly waffle

and unto them he said "borange"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005 10:53:37 PM »

oh thankyou guys I'm soo touched ! but one problem I looked on the calender october 31st dosn't exist here! or it's not on the callender and the 30th is a sunday so I will just have to have it on the 29th. it's goojng to be soo much fun! I have to do things that are quick and easy because it's the weekend after my exams so I have to study and plan it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and he said unto the people of the hills and valleys " and all ye who eat brunch shall be damned to hell" and unto the people of the plains and seas "ditto"
craft-matic
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005 07:45:51 AM »

No October 31st!?!  How can it be? 

Well, no worries.  For kiddies, Halloween can only be the 31st.  But once you get too old to trick-or-treat, people often celebrate the weekend before.  This year, all the parties I know of are on the 29th. 

The decorations are really key for a party.  String lots of fake spiderwebs around.  Hang things in them (plastic spiders, fake bones....). 

If you make cupcakes, bake littel cookies in the shape of headstones (with a touch of black food color to make them look like granite).  Use a toothpick to write RIP one them, a phrase that nobody actually uses on gravestones to my knowledge but is somehow archetypal.  Then crush up chocolate cookies to look like soil, stick the headstones in the cookies, and surround with crumbles. 

The readymade this month has a cat-skeleton window dressing.  You could do something similar to covor your lampshades with.  Print animal skeletons out on transparency film, then cut them so they'll sit flat around your lampshades. 

We also used to make little tissue-ghost garlands.  Take a cotton ball, lay it in the middle of two tissues laid out on top of each other, wrap a string around the neck...draw a little face on the ghostie....

Cut out black bats from construction paper and tape to your windows.  If you want to be elaborate, cut the body out of consruction paper and the wings from black or brown tissue so that the light shines through them.

If you can't find a pumpkin to carve (or even if you do) you can do halloween luminarias.  Readymade had something like this last year.

http://www.sunlandimports.com/page/1/PROD/chililights/271638

If you don't use those in Oz, then just cut a pattern out of the bag, fill the bottom with sand, and put in a little tea light.  They don't catch on fire.  Promise. 

How cold is it where you are this time of year?  If it's freezing outside, you can do them with ice, too.  Fill water ballons, set them outside.  Let them freeze until they are frozen through about 2 cm, then break the ballon and drain the inside water.  If you do this with orange or red food color in the water, they will look spooky.  You could also put little plastic spiders in or something.  You can make these in the freezer if you have room, and as long as it isn't too warm they won't melt very fast.  In these you don't need sand. 

May favorite spooky movies are the Vincent Price ones.  The pit and the pendulum....  The House of the Red Death, The Haunted Palace....especially the ones directed by Roger Corman.  Spooky, cheesy, indulgent.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
killer_threader
lord polly waffle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005 11:59:04 PM »

I'm going have to throw my party like a whole month late! I have exams Sad but on the upside it gives me time to craft and make this party something truly special. I'll have to get my bum over to america one year to see how it's really done ! you guys have been the best help ever such great ideas and tips! I am happy to tell you guys about any aussie traditions your curious about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and he said unto the people of the hills and valleys " and all ye who eat brunch shall be damned to hell" and unto the people of the plains and seas "ditto"
batgirl
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005 11:06:22 AM »

Yeah, it's normally the nearest weekend anyway. Nov 1st is All-Souls day so Halloween is the night before, when the spookies come out to play. The idea is to dress like one of them so they won't getcha! For my parties I take black trashbags and cut them in shreds and staple them to the ceiling in the hall, so the hall is filled with black streamers. Then I hang a strobe light in the middle and have a fog machine at the end, and the music from Suspiria (great Italian 60's horror, very weird and trippy) playing, so you enter the party through this weird tunnel. Inside I play Suspiria on the tv, and hang a pole from the ceiling horizontally, wrapped in black-light Christmas lights and black and purple tulle, with bats hanging down. I have a costume contest and scary food and candy. The mixture of candy corn and peanuts in a black plastic cauldron is very popular! About a week before my friend hosts a pumpkin carving party so we use the pumpkins. I also use the sea salt and olive oil method, sometimes with a bit of rosemary oil. YUM! Have fun! I once had a Halloween party in England when I lived there. My friends were a little confused and insisted on Pumpkin Pie cause they'd never had it (even though it's the wrong holiday) But they played along nicely!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005 08:58:57 PM »

November 2nd is Day of the Dead too. haha. Wow. No wonder its so big over here. Day of the dead is a mexican tradition i believe. Sugar skulls painted with sugar icing - yum...someone here has an avatar of one. There's also square pieces of paper cut out with skeletons in them (like how paper snowflakes are made)...very colorful that day is. People just remember the lives of dead loved ones.

Halloween is great though. My mom used to decorate the house with ghosts, pumpkins and little haunted house thingies. Even fake spiderweb stuff with fake spiders in it. And some sheets with a ball in the middle with a string tied around the sheet and the bottom of the ball (so that it looks like a ghost with a head and no body just hanging) Some people put stuffed clothes on the porch to look like lump people and maybe add a severed head to the side. Black Cats are a big deal too. It's probably because of the superstition about them though. Bats are a big deal too.

In America, it's become a really commercialized thing. All the stores come out with Halloween decorations like in August...all sorts of halloween type candy is put out - especially candy corn and cookies decorated with bats and spiderwebs. A lot of people are witches, black cats, ghosts, and zombies for halloween. But nowadays, too, a lot of people are dressing up in something sexy - like a maid or a female devil, or something cutesy - like a carebear or an M&M chocolate.

handing out muffins or candy to your friends would be cool on halloween, maybe with a little paper sack decorated in a dracula face or something creepy.

There's also a fun game I play sometimes, but played it more in my younger days called "Nelson's eye" it's so great even for regular parties and I dont know ANYONE else who did it. But its great fun and perfect for halloween. It's from an old book I have called "The Way To Play"

here's the game:

"This game plays on a blindfolded person's heightened imagination.
Play: several volunteers who do not know the game are asked to leave the room. They are blindfolded and brought back one at a time. One of the other players begins by asking the blind man to feel "Nelson's good leg" - and the blind man's hands are guided to that he can feel someone else's leg. He is then asked to feel Nelson's bad leg - and his hands are guided to a chair leg. Next the blind man must feel Nelson's good arm and feel someone elses arm, and then to a stuffed arm for "nelsons bad arm"" and so on. I liked to tell my friend they were touching intestines - spaghetti, and nelson's "eye" a grape or a sqaushy pickled onion. And gross stuff like that. They really freaked out, but then we were kids too. haha. I got such a kick out of it because no one else knew the game - this is a really old book. 1975 is old to me haha. But I dont ever remember anyone else playing it. It's just an easy game to play, but your friends may think its lame because of their age.

"haunted houses" are a big deal too, but that's a lot of work. There are usually places in America set up all over town that may charge a minimal fee to be led into a "haunted house" to be spooked out. It's usually pretty cool. you should check it out one of these days when you visit america. Some are really awesome but some are really stupid. I cant go into detail about them because it's late, but some people also just go visit actual haunted places around town. I've never done that but had lots of friends who did.

I do agree on the movie thing tho. As I got older I watched movies on Halloween. Here they show Rocky Horror at the theatre at midnight on halloween. I grew up watching that show every Halloween. If you can find a local theatre club who performs it, I suggest going (because I know your costume will be from it and therefore u must like it!)

Hope this helped some...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
McJulie-O
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005 01:13:43 PM »

My favorite "Halloween" movie is Spaced Invaders, a hilarious little green men invading on Halloween so they're mistaken for trick-or-treaters film. Affectionate look at a goofy small town in middle America which has a big night to remember. Watch for the aliens and the old-timer farmer who conspire to rid themselves of the dreaded Destroyer Droid bestowing on it the Tri-Nitro-Toluene Award (TNT- get it?) Very fun.

I refuse to watch the seriously scary horror flicks because life is scary enough as it is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misstialouise
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005 06:57:17 PM »

Omg.. are you serious?

October 31st exists all the world over... yes, even in Australia (which is where I am)... I don't know what wierd calendar you're looking on... but it exists, my friend...

30 days hath September, April, June & November
All the rest have 31 except February alone
Which has 28 days clear, and 29 each leap year.

There you are.

oh thankyou guys I'm soo touched ! but one problem I looked on the calender october 31st dosn't exist here! or it's not on the callender and the 30th is a sunday so I will just have to have it on the 29th. it's goojng to be soo much fun! I have to do things that are quick and easy because it's the weekend after my exams so I have to study and plan it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005 07:01:40 PM »

oh good, that confused me big time, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 2010 <3
I love my son!
<3 Ethan Orion - December 2015 <3
killer_threader
lord polly waffle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2005 04:38:43 AM »

Omg.. are you serious?

October 31st exists all the world over... yes, even in Australia (which is where I am)... I don't know what wierd calendar you're looking on... but it exists, my friend...

30 days hath September, April, June & November
All the rest have 31 except February alone
Which has 28 days clear, and 29 each leap year.

There you are.

yeah I thought that to it was the free leunig calender that you get with sydeney morning herald it's bound to be dodge Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tamagotchi
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2005 11:13:12 AM »

There's also a fun game I play sometimes, but played it more in my younger days called "Nelson's eye" it's so great even for regular parties and I dont know ANYONE else who did it. But its great fun and perfect for halloween. It's from an old book I have called "The Way To Play"

here's the game:

"This game plays on a blindfolded person's heightened imagination.
Play: several volunteers who do not know the game are asked to leave the room. They are blindfolded and brought back one at a time. One of the other players begins by asking the blind man to feel "Nelson's good leg" - and the blind man's hands are guided to that he can feel someone else's leg. He is then asked to feel Nelson's bad leg - and his hands are guided to a chair leg. Next the blind man must feel Nelson's good arm and feel someone elses arm, and then to a stuffed arm for "nelsons bad arm"" and so on. I liked to tell my friend they were touching intestines - spaghetti, and nelson's "eye" a grape or a sqaushy pickled onion. And gross stuff like that. They really freaked out, but then we were kids too. haha. I got such a kick out of it because no one else knew the game - this is a really old book. 1975 is old to me haha. But I dont ever remember anyone else playing it. It's just an easy game to play, but your friends may think its lame because of their age.

"haunted houses" are a big deal too, but that's a lot of work. There are usually places in America set up all over town that may charge a minimal fee to be led into a "haunted house" to be spooked out. It's usually pretty cool. you should check it out one of these days when you visit america. Some are really awesome but some are really stupid. I cant go into detail about them because it's late, but some people also just go visit actual haunted places around town. I've never done that but had lots of friends who did.

this is really great advice!  I was going to suggest that thing about the grapes (for some reason a peeled grape will always be permanently associated with halloween for me).  when I was a kid we always listened to a record I had with a bunch of monster-themed songs on it, like monster mash and so on.  that was always fun.  besides movies, john bellairs books are great for getting you into a spooky and appropriately halloweeny mood.  I'd suggest the house with a clock in its walls and the spell of the sorcerer's skull, those are probably my favorites.  I read them when I was little and I still love them.  as for a haunted house, it is not so easy to make a whole house haunted, but it is fairly easy to make a haunted space.  for example, if you're going to be watching movies you could set up a tent made out of sheets around the television (like those forts we all made as kids) and decorate the inside with paper skeletons and bats and whatnot.  then sit inside your haunted tent and watch scary movies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Personalized Pet Collar
Wild Animals on Your Tree
Meatless Monday: Crockpot Mac and Cheese

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...