A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
363 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Holiday Decorating for a Studio  (Read 1443 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

honorhappy
« on: October 08, 2005 04:03:16 AM »

I don't actually live in a studio apartment; I live in a two bedroom apartment but I have roommates that are not only dirtier than me, they don't celebrate Christmas and probably wouldn't be too kind to any nice decorations in the living room/dining room/kitchen.  This means that all the decorating and festivities are going to be confined (for the most part, anyway...I may deck out the patio and put a few bowls of pine cones or ornaments on the dining room table, etc) will be confined to my bedroom and private bathroom.       

Considering I love to craft and I'm on a limited budget, I've been mulling over how to decorate.  (Also, I love Christmas, and this is the first year my boy and I are on our own to decorate and celebrate!)  So, without further ado, here are the plans I have to deck the halls in a small area:

1.  We have a mini fridge, so I'll be making holiday magnets to replace my usual ones. 
   2.  Stringing lights in both my bedroom and bathroom  (not around the shower!)
   3.  Since the bed is a major focal point in our room, I'm going to go out and find some kind of holiday bedding, even if it is just some green and red pillowcases and sheets or some holiday throw pillows.  (Most Christmas goodies aren't out yet, so I haven't made up my mind.)
  4.  We have two mini Christmas trees.  One will be somewhere in the bedroom, and I'm putting one in the bathroom, ontop of the little towel rack/storage space I made from an upright milkcrate and contact paper. 
  5.  I'm making Christmas ornaments from magazine/catalog cut outs and clear contact paper.  (These are also going to be Christmas gifts.)  The tree in the bathroom is going to be decked out with Disney characters, since the bathroom is very "girly" and eclectic.
 6.  I'm putting stockings up, on the back of the bathroom door or on my closet door.
 7.  My shower is glass enclosed, so I'll be getting Christmas window decals.
 8.  I may get a few boxes, take down some of my lesser used knicknacks (we are pack rats) and put up Christmas knicknacks
 9.  I'm also thinking of getting some of "snow sheets" and lining my dresser(s) and desk with it

I hope these ideas help you guys with any rooms or small places!  I'd love any more tips or ideas, and I'd love to know creative ways you've decorated your small places.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Raaspberry
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005 07:17:59 AM »

Those are really good ideas. Last year I bought a mini Christmas tree, as well as lights and ornaments, at the dollar store for a grand total of less than 5 bucks. Even though my family decorates for Christmas, I still wanted something festive in my room.
I'm not sure how you feel about the scent of cinnamon, but every year we made ornaments made of a cinnamon/glue type mixture, and they smell really good. I'm sure there's some sort of recipe on here, or else I can get it from my mom.
Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honorhappy
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005 12:14:54 AM »

Actually, I love the scent of cinnamon.  I didn't have luck with those ornaments last year, though...I dont know why, but they didn't harden.

I thought of some "money saving", more diy things I may be doing in my room.  Instead of the snow spread, I may be using all the extra wrapping paper I have to cover my dressers and desk.  I don't wrap many presents, but I have a bunch of paper from my MIL, who keeps the leftovers every year.  I may be making the good old paper chains instead of having as many lights as I wanted, we'll see about that.  I may also be making the window cling I talked about putting on my bathroom shower, as well as decoupaging more wrapping paper on there!  Also, I'm going to make some wreaths, using a hanger and, on another one, making a cardboard cutout.  Yay for decorating on a budget!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
not2old4glitter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005 10:01:41 PM »

For small spaces I like to literally "deck the walls", since it doesn't take up any floor or table space. Put garlands above doors, windows, or paintings/posters. They can be real or fake pine garlands, or the sparkly tinsel kind. You just need a couple of thumbtacks and drape it in a swag, it's easy to take down too unlike a tree. I like the fake pine garlands because real ones make me sneeze, but you can add ribbons, ornaments, little pinecones, etc. all attached with floral wire. And put mistletoe above your bed!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Darian
The standard snowflake.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005 10:41:22 PM »

Don't forget to dangle snowflakes from the ceiling. You can do big ones, but also littler ones with multiple flakes hanging at different lengths along your string. I really like fishing line for this, since it's practically invisible. In addition, at craft stores you can get window paint (specifically designed to be easily washed of glass) and paint the insides of your windows with faux snow drifts gathered along the bottom/sides.

Since you have mini trees, you could also wrap little boxes to put under the little trees.

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it! --Elwood Blues
honorhappy
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005 02:42:00 AM »

Yeah, I agree with the decking the walls and ceilings!  I'm going to start collecting pine cones soon so I have a big bag to decorate with.  I have a few doors and one window, so I probably will do some swags.  Another idea is to dangle some ornaments over the window sill and from the string lights/garland on my walls.  I'm making ornaments this year, and I have a feeling I'll have too many for my two mini trees!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookem
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005 02:32:42 AM »

take fishing line and use it to tie a bunch of pine cones together to make a garland- its also a good decoration for outside
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Like A Pro Hair Tips From Ken Paves
Voluminous Barbie Ponytail Tutorial
5 Ways to Fight Off Frizz
Salon Giving Back Through Beauty
2 Hot Hair Trends From Hollywood’s Top Celebrity Hair Stylist
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...