A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 301,624
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SMALL Holiday Dinner  (Read 828 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

honorhappy
« on: October 08, 2005 03:46:33 AM »

This year my boyfriend and I will be celebrating both Thanksgiving and Christmas alone.  (Our families live in the Midwest, we live in CA.)  He may or may not end up working on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, I'll be off on Thanksgiving and can work his schedule on the Christmas holidays, so there will be time to cook.  But what to cook?  With it just being the two of us (a few friends and his sister might stop by, and we may visit his father, depending, but there is nothing guaranteed), I don't want to bother with a whole turkey or ham.  Maybe cornish game hens?  Maybe a small, canned ham?  (I haven't ever cooked one of those, do they come out well?)

I'm thinking that for Thanksgiving, we may do the traditional side dishes but substitute deli roast beef sandwiches (done up well with good buns and swiss cheese, etc) for the meat.

I'm just mulling things over, however, trying to make up some sort of menu so I can get my limited budget in order.  I'm sure others out there have had a small family dinner, so what tips do you have?  What kinds of meals have you made up?

We do have room for a little bit of leftovers, but seeing as we have a mini fridge and no freezer, I couldn't have food for days upon days or freeze anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005 10:45:49 AM »

You can buy turkey drumsticks or turkey breast without having to deal with a big bird.

Instead of stuffing you can do a garlic bread pudding, roast a couple of cobs of corn, and buy a sweet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honorhappy
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005 12:59:18 AM »

Turkey breast sounds like a good idea.  We'll probably make stuffing because he loves it, and it'll be gobbled up in no time!  But I do get what you're saying...I'm thinking about buying only enough yams for us, maybe a small greenbean casserole (hey, I love greenbean casserole!), and maybe the corn on the cob would work yummily as well.  I do think I'll do some baking, but only because I haven't had a chance to in some time.  We'll be eating good this holiday season!  Thanks for the advice.  Keep it coming!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005 03:08:31 AM »

i did pigeon one year for me and Mr Bunny. A pigeon each.
but i didn't realise till after that pigeons are better stewed than roasted. they were tasty, but very tough.

you could get poussins (little individual chickens) instead also. Or duckbreasts. Or you could cook a duck between you. Festive, but not as big as a turkey.

Often you have to order them in to the butcher's, but any decent butcher should be able to get them in. Ask round. In Australia I ended up getting the pigguns (as we childishly called them) for $12AUD each ($7 US).

As a family of 3 we cook half-hams instead of a whole one. We get them at the supermarket. Obviously there are still leftovers, but there is a charming cycle to life in January, punctuated by leftover ham with every meal. It lasts indefinitely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005 06:47:26 AM »

I'm down to a family of 3.  My daughter, granddaughter and me.  The step kids don't come around any more.
I usually do a small turkey breast, dressing in a separate dish, gravy, canned cranberry sauce, squash or sweet potatoes, a relish tray with carrot sticks, celery, broccoli and cauliflower, and of course sour cream, ranch dip.  And cheese cake for dessert.  Then we eat on this for 3 days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dolphin
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005 06:42:22 PM »

I usually do a small turkey, perhaps 10 or 11 pounds and that is plenty for my small family. We all get to savor the aromas as it is cooking and there will plenty of leftovers for additional meals or to freeze for later use..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honorhappy
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005 12:01:25 AM »

Thanks guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shlowzikins
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005 09:23:25 AM »

When it was just the three of us for thanksgiving, my family used to turn the entire leftover dinner, (usually turkey, some kind of grain dish, a couple of vegetable dishes, and something involving potatoes) into soup the day after thanksgiving. it can be hard cooking small amounts. We would freeze the soup, and one year we ateThanksgiving leftovers once a week until Valentines day. It was actually really really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005 04:26:22 PM »

what about roasting a chicken instead of a turkey?  i personally prefer chicken to turkey.  but i love both.  sl;fnioejfiojf thanksgiving!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ming
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005 02:26:13 PM »

i roasted a goose last year for thanksgiving for a get together, and it turned out pretty well. it was just something different, and since i'm not a big fan of turkey, i preferred that to what was being served at the dinner. it's just something different, i think a lot of American's are afraid to venture beyond cooking the typical poultry (chicken and turkey), but it's really not that difficult. Goose is also not as "gamey" tasting as duck, which I was surprised to find out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Installing a Web Widget in Dreamweaver CS4
Creating a Flash Gallery Using Bridge CS4
Linking Pages, Graphics, and Web Sites Using Dreamweaver CS4
Using Behaviors in Dreamweaver CS4
Adjusting a Web Layout in CSS
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...