A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The amazing wall of storage in my kitchen!! (with tutorial)  (Read 4808 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , storage , organize  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

foreverfrida

Guess what?........Pig Butt.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 07, 2005 09:31:39 PM »

Hi!

I am so proud to have finally done something with the mess that was my kitchen. I managed to fit an amazing anount of stuff on the one patch of free wall space we have. Yay! Look:

I built the shelf/ pot rack thing myself. But the bookcase was just a thrift store find that I painted white.

ff

The pot rack was made like this:

1) At Home Depot or wherever, buy two wooden shelf brackets. these usually come in packs of two with the hardware included. Also, buy two closet rod sockets. these are in the closet section. it's two round sockets, and one has a notch in the top so that you can slide the pole in. You will also need a board that is 10" wide and cut to the length you want your shelf to be. DO NOT get the pole yet.

2) at home, attach the closet sockets to the brackets. one socket per bracket. there is usually a screw that comes with the sockets.

3) paint and prime the shelf and the two brackets

4) hang the brackets on the wall at the desired height. try to center the shelf so that the brackets can be attached to the wall studs. Also, the brackets should not be farther apart than your shelf's length. . And hang them so that the sockets point in, toward each other. To make sure they are level, attach one bracket, then have a friend hold the other one up against the wall while you put the shelf on the brackets. place a level on top of the shelf, and have them slide the bracket up and down until the shelf is level.

5) once both brackets are up, center the shelf over them and screw it into the top of each bracket.

6) now, measure the distance from INSIDE one of the sockets to INSIDE the other one. Go back to home depot. in the plumbing section they have galvanized pipes. get a pipe cut that is the right diameter for the sockets, and is the length you just measured.

7) slide the pole into place, and put S hooks on. you may have to go to a kitchen supply store to find the big sizes of hooks. they should have them. just ask for replacement pot rack hooks.

voila!!

ff

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011 01:35:27 PM by PixieVal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Other finished projects at my blog, The Finished Object
scissorchic
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005 10:05:45 PM »

Nice idea!  My pots are ugly though.  Maybe when we get new ones I will do this!  You must have some good support with those nails though, huh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

foreverfrida

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005 11:12:23 PM »

Thanks!

Actually, the whole thing is held up by only two screws!! Of course, they are huge screws and they are driven into the studs...

Our pots are all hand-me-downs too, but they don't look so bad because they are all pretty much the same color and you are only looking at the bottoms anyway. I think that old things are very in right now, yes? Very shabby chic Smiley

ff
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HatsOff2Heart
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005 11:49:53 PM »

That pot rack/shelf that you built really is amazing.  How did you do it?!  Your kitchen looks so cool.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
avizzius
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005 03:21:37 AM »

Amazing. It looks  s o  kitchen-y.. : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
foreverfrida

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005 08:04:33 PM »

The pot rack was made like this:

1) At Home Depot or wherever, buy two wooden shelf brackets. these usually come in packs of two with the hardware included. Also, buy two closet rod sockets. these are in the closet section. it's two round sockets, and one has a notch in the top so that you can slide the pole in. You will also need a board that is 10" wide and cut to the length you want your shelf to be. DO NOT get the pole yet.

2) at home, attach the closet sockets to the brackets. one socket per bracket. there is usually a screw that comes with the sockets.

3) paint and prime the shelf and the two brackets

4) hang the brackets on the wall at the desired height. try to center the shelf so that the brackets can be attached to the wall studs. Also, the brackets should not be farther apart than your shelf's length. . And hang them so that the sockets point in, toward each other. To make sure they are level, attach one bracket, then have a friend hold the other one up against the wall while you put the shelf on the brackets. place a level on top of the shelf, and have them slide the bracket up and down until the shelf is level.

5) once both brackets are up, center the shelf over them and screw it into the top of each bracket.

6) now, measure the distance from INSIDE one of the sockets to INSIDE the other one. Go back to home depot. in the plumbing section they have galvanized pipes. get a pipe cut that is the right diameter for the sockets, and is the length you just measured.

7) slide the pole into place, and put S hooks on. you may have to go to a kitchen supply store to find the big sizes of hooks. they should have them. just ask for replacement pot rack hooks.

voila!!

ff

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
George Melloan Talks About The Great Money Binge
Paige Toon Talks About Chasing Daisy
Laurie Abraham Talks About The Husbands and Wives Club
Andrew Clements Talks About We the Children
Regan Hoffman Talks About I Have Something to Tell You
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...