A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL ADDED: Thai Fisher(wo)men's skirt  (Read 77824 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« on: October 07, 2005 08:23:12 PM »

Yay!  I go from cute green skirt to black black black!

I was given a pair of Thai fishermen pants from a friend who went on a vacation to Thailand a little while ago.  The pants are so amazingly comfortable - I love them!  Anyhow - I had been thinking for a while about how much I love the style of the pants with the fabric folded over at the waist - and wondered what it would look like in skirt form.

So, with the help of my cat - I laid my pants on the floor and took measurements:

My cat really wasn't of much help

Rather than just making a simple tube type skirt - I ended up cutting and sewing the different panels that are on the pants and I came up with this.  Unfortunately, being all black and poor light makes it hard to see the skirt properly Sad:

I added vintage black lace trim to the top and bottom hems.

Tutorial

I hope my instructions below  make sense - I'm not very good at explaining how to do things.

There are two ways you can make this skirt:

Version One:
This version is plain, but very simple and doesn't involve much sewing at all.  Perfect for beginner sewers.

Version Two:
This is the version I did.  It consists of 4 panels for the bottom part of the skirt based on the panel layout and measurements of my original fisherman pants. This version IS easy to sew as well - it just takes a lot more time.  I also strongly recommend doing either Flat Felled seams or French Seams and top stitching them in place with two rows of stitching.  Not only will the skirt last you forever with the seams hidden like that - the top stitching adds a touch of decoration (you could top stitch in a completely different colour thread) and it also looks super professional Smiley

Instructions for Version One:

Version One Layout: 
Here - you can see where the different seam lines are going to be along with the placement of the tie at the back.  Pretty simple, right?

How Much Fabric Is Needed?:
I purchased 2 yards of 55" wide fabric for these.

Pattern Pieces for Version One:
Please note - there is seam allowance already added to these pieces.  Also, before cutting though you might want to take into consideration your body shape - if you are very slim,  you might want to make the pieces less wide.  If you are lovely and voluptuous - you may need to widen them a little.  I'm a relatively average size - and my skirt could easily fit people a few sizes smaller or bigger than me.

Side seam allowance = 1/2 inch
Hemming allowance top and bottom = 3/4 inch
Tie seam allowance = 1/4 inch

Sewing Instructions:

1. Cut your fabric out to the measurements specified.

2.Pin together the fabric for the waistband and the skirt body along the width and sew together.  I recommend flat felled or french stitching with top-stitch as it is a good decorative effect.  It is not necessary though.

3. Pin together the length - making sure you match the waistband seam with each other so it runs a continuous line around your body.  Sew together.  Please note that in this part - at least 4 inches (or more) of the "wrong" side of the waistband is going to be exposed when you turn it over as you are wearing it - you need to make sure that the seam for the inside of the waistband, at least, looks nice and neat (do french seams with top stitching or flat felled here - it will be better).

4. Hem the bottom normally and then top stitch.

5. Hem the top back-to-front.  Basically, fold your fabric over to the right side of the fabric and sew - then top stitch on wrong side/inside.  Remember, when you wear the skirt - the top inside part of the skirt will be folded over and see on the outside.

6. Get the fabric for the tie, fold in half and sew together with a 1/4 inch seam. Leave one end open so you can turn it out.  When you've sewn it together - turn the tie out.  Press so it is flat and then top stitch both close to both edges of the tie.

7. Find the center back of your skirt and mark 3 or 4 inches down from the top hem.  Center your tie at this point and pin in place.  You then want to sew a 6-7 inch center rectangle section of your tie onto the skirt.  It is easiest if you just sew over the top stitching on the tie.

8. Voila!  You are finished!  Now - you can add lace decoration and anything else you want. Then go and put your skirt on!

Instructions for Version Two - This is the Version I Made:

Version Two Layout: 
Here - you can see where the different seam lines are going to be along with the placement of the tie at the back.  notice that there are four panels for the body of the skirt?  The two panels on the side actually wrap around to the other side - there is no side seams on them - so it is four panels, not six.

How Much Fabric Is Needed?:
I purchased 2 yards of 55" wide fabric for these.

Pattern Pieces for Version Two:
Please note - there is seam allowance already added to these pieces.  Also, before cutting though you might want to take into consideration your body shape - if you are very slim,  you might want to make the pieces less wide.  If you are lovely and voluptuous - you may need to widen them a little.  I'm a relatively average size - and my skirt could easily fit people a few sizes smaller or bigger than me.

Side seam allowance = 1/2 inch
Hemming allowance top and bottom = 3/4 inch
Tie seam allowance = 1/4 inch

Sewing Instructions:

1. Cut your fabric out to the measurements specified.

2. Pin together the fabric for the body of the skirt like this: - big panel, little panel, big panel, little panel.  Sew the seams for all of these.  Like before (especially with this version) I recommend flat felled or french seams with top stitching - the panels make it perfect for that.

3. Once you've sewn the panels together - you should have a big long strip.  Match up the fabric for the waistband of the skirt with the skirt body and sew together using the same type of stitching that you did sewing the panels together.

4. Pin together the length - making sure you match the waistband seam with each other so it runs a continuous line around your body.  Sew together.  Please note that in this part - at least 4 inches (or more) of the "wrong" side of the waistband is going to be exposed when you turn it over as you are wearing it - you need to make sure that the seam for the inside of the waistband, at least, looks nice and neat (do french seams with top stitching or flat felled here - it will be better).

4. Hem the bottom normally and then top stitch.

5. Hem the top back-to-front.  Basically, fold your fabric over to the right side of the fabric and sew - then top stitch on wrong side/inside.  Remember, when you wear the skirt - the top inside part of the skirt will be folded over and see on the outside.

6. Get the fabric for the tie, fold in half and sew together with a 1/4 inch seam. Leave one end open so you can turn it out.  When you've sewn it together - turn the tie out.  Press so it is flat and then top stitch both close to both edges of the tie.

7. Find the center back of your skirt and mark 3 or 4 inches down from the top hem.  Center your tie at this point and pin in place.  You then want to sew a 6-7 inch center rectangle section of your tie onto the skirt.  It is easiest if you just sew over the top stitching on the tie.

8. Voila!  You are finished!  Now - you can add lace decoration and anything else you want. Then go and put your skirt on!

I personally did French seams on all of the seams because the fabric would unravel pretty easy.  I then top stitched my seams twice like this:

This is a small detail of the lace trim I sewed on:

This is how the skirt is put on:

Center the back thin panel over your buttocks and pull out the sides holding onto the ties in your hand.

Fold one side all the way over - making sure the panel is still centered on your butt.

Fold the edge back over you body to the other side.

With the ties - tie a tight bow.  I always tie mine off center because I like the look of the ties hanging down.

Fold all the fabric above the tie down.  You might need to do a little pulling and adjusting here and there to get the front hem even.

A close up of the waist details:

« Last Edit: October 08, 2005 08:23:16 AM by pucchimaiko » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
Hyena
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005 08:39:23 PM »

That's cute! I made a little research about those pants today. I think I will make some too, perfect lounge pants!
The vintage lace on your skirt is beautiful, great job "as usual".

PS I saw in one of your post you don't drive! Wow I'm not the only one in this country (I though I was, really). But what a pain in the neck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FancyShmancy

smoke. drink. craft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005 08:50:26 PM »

that skirt is very cute! great job!

p.s... your kitty is a tubby little thing just like mine!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seriously? like, seriously.
loreleiariadne
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005 10:01:08 PM »

Cute skirt!! I wish I had enough fabric to make one. **must not go back to hancock's again for the 5th time today!**

btw ... your kitty looks just like mine!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glitter is the herpes of crafts. once it gets on you, it never goes away!
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005 10:14:21 PM »

I like the skirt, and love the pants as well. But I have to add...my boyfriend and I love your cat! He's so flubby bubby. Haha we like fat cats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
Shandra
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005 04:57:44 AM »

wow those pants look comfortable and I agree that your kitty is really cute Smiley

I wish I could see a little more detail as to how the skirt is put on (because it's black and you cant see the separate lines too well..it just kinda blends together if you know what i mean) but it looks cool. Very good idea!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005 06:34:05 AM »

I love the skirt and I want to make one.  Because of the black it is hard to see how the skirt goes on and how it was made.  Do you think there is a possibility of lighter pictures and maybe a tutorial. 

I also think that lace was a very nice detail and gives the skirt character. 

Sorry I am not a cat person, I am a goat, dog, lizzard person, but he does look like a great companion. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005 08:34:36 AM »

Hyena - I tell you, once you start wearing these pants or skirt, you'll never want to wear anything else! So, so sooooooo comfortable!  And nope - I don't drive.  I had no need to know back in Australia because I caught the bus or train everywhere.  Here though - the public transport is scary and everything is so far away for each other!  I am studying to get my licence though.  I need to know how to drive to do craft shows Tongue

FancyShmancy - Thank you!  Would you believe my cat has actually lost weight?  She used to be even tubbier!

ViolentViolets Why thank you!  Oni (my cat), is kind of sensitive about her tubby bits actually - she'll take your hand off if you poke her in the belly Tongue

loreleiariadne - Thank you!  I only used 2 yards of 55" wide fabric for the skirt.  If you really wanted to - in the tutorial - with "version two" you could make the panels out of different fabric for each!  (now...that IS an idea!  I might have to try it myself).  Your kitty is adorable!  I love caramel coloured tabbies!

humblestumble - Aw, thanks!  The skirt and pants are uber comfy - I could live in them for the rest of my life!  Haha!  I've had Oni on a diet trying to get her to loose weight!  She used to be tubbier than what she is now.  It was just embarrassing when we took her to the vet a while ago and they had a chart on the wall showing 5 different weight stages of cats.  #5 was obese - and Oni made the obese shilloette look like a super thin supermodel!

Shandra - Thank you! Just put up a better description on how the skirt is put on along with the tutorial - hopefully that helps?

mommabear1963 - Thank you!  Your wish is my command - I just put up a tutorial for you.  I'd try to take lighter pictures - but my husband is out of town for the weekend so it won't be happening any time soon - hopefully the tutorial will shed a bit more light  on the construction and wearing.  I'm very happy with the lace detail myself - It adds a whole new slightly scrumptious look to it :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005 08:57:45 AM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the tutorial, and the explination of how to put it on helps.  Thank you sooo much I am very excited to try it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookishgrrl
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005 09:39:12 AM »

lovely skirt and lovely cat, btw---

but actually, I also just wanted to give out a shout of encouragement for learning to drive. I didn't get my licence until I was nearly twenty-three--and I worked on it for about three years, failing about two written permit exams and taking about three driving tests.

a couple of things that I did that worked:
-paying a professional instructor as I got started. it was good to have someone who *really* knew  what they were doing to navigate me through crowded downtown and packed highways. the other perk of this is that you drive *their* car--which has a brake on the passenger's side. Smiley as driver's ed gets expensive (there don't seem to be many breaks for those of us over eighteen), what really worked ultimately was...

-getting friends that were willing to take an hour or so out on a routine schedule for me to drive with them. as a thank you, I'd always treat for coffee or ice cream or something. lifetime bonds were formed during my little educational outings.

what didn't work:
-going out with my nervous husband, who with all good intentions, would point out that if I took that turn any sharper, we would have landed in the ditch and then the car would roll and be totaled and then we would be out our only vehicle and he would have to take a cab to work, etc. etc. Very calm driving companions seemed to work best, but ones that were aware enough to advise how to handle strange situations that inevitably come up when being on the road with other drivers.

-reading driving manuals--it helped to know the basic principals, but I found I retained the vital information much better when I was told while actually driving.

even after I got my license, I still was nervous and had a pretty hard time driving. I eventually found that just doing it and not avoiding it helped me to become a much better driver. I also found that doing the harder stuff--like freeway driving and crowded downtown maneuvering--made the everyday stuff much easier and less daunting.
anyhow, it's a tough thing to learn. best, best of wishes in getting through it with good humour and no incidents!!! and make sure you throw a grand party to celebrate your eventual acquisition of the license!!

(sorry--I know this has nothing to do with craftster--but I have eternal sympathy for the adult drivers-to-be in this country)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Donuts
How to Make Pete’s ‘Combo’ Pizza
How to Make Grilled Tomato and Basil Pizza
Deviled Egg Trio
Perfect Recipe For Burger Lovers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...