A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: house tour (heavy on the pics)  (Read 9363 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

colie
« on: October 07, 2005 06:14:23 PM »

Of course, it is still very much a work in progress. It probably will be "in progress" for quite sometime, due to the very limited budgets and time constraints of students.

Here is the house from the outside (back in january, when the Camilla's were in bloom!)

And here is what you see when you walk inside and turn towards the dining room.

Hanging next to the door is a thing that my husband's grandpa made, that originally held the hymn numbers that would be sung that day, and as you can see it has found a new life as a picture frame.

Speaking of, here is the dining room.

And no, that poinsetta hasn't been alive since christmas, it is another old picture- though little has changed. This room hasn't really recieved much loving yet. It needs some art and the chandalier definately needs a revamp. And we could use a rug. Sorry, I didnt mean for this to turn into a to do list.

Now, back to the living room.

This is along the wall going towards the hallway. They are self portraits I did in an art class. It feels wierd to walk by them daily, but I would rather look at them than an empty wall.

And this is the living room. Those doors open onto a cute little patio, but unortunately that patio is overlooked by our neighbors ugly garage add on, which I couldn't look at for another second, so I covered the window panes in tissue paper. It blocks a little bit of the light, but the price was right so I am not complaining.  I know the single curtain looks ridiculous, but... work in progress, ok! I am just waiting for the perfect fabric to call out to me, before I can make some real curtains. oh, and of course the money to buy that fabric.

Here is a close up of the coffee table, which was a collaboration between my husband and I. It has castors on the bottom instead of legs for mobility (a 6 foot long coffee table made with studs is not light!).

Alright, here is the kitchen.

I made the curtains myself, they adjust somewhat to block the light by pulling on them (think those cloth loops in old bathrooms). Ignore the mangled curtain to the right, I need to make a bigger border so it actually fits. It isn't pictured, but the walls are actually chalkboard paint. The counters were in terrible disrepair, so we painted the tiles to spruce them up. This is of course a tempoaray fix, but has held up wonderfully  thus far, and we definately have abused them.

And here is the bathroom. We haven't done much to it besides paint. The tile is authentic to the house, but the grout looks terrible and a few are cracked. The tolet and sink SEEM original- meaning, they are past their prime... we aren't sure exactly what to do with the bathroom yet though. Hmmm, I guess time will tell. We did, however, add crown molding, which we painted black to go with whatever the themish thing we have going in there.

Alright, thanks for looking! I am open to any suggestions as to what could spruce the place up. Also, look for a post on the bedroom and craft room/ painting studio/ spare bedroom in the near future as we pull those together.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005 06:18:29 PM by colie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
erinscissorhands
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005 07:32:47 PM »

wow, i love the living room with the tissue paper on the windows. and that front door is so fun with that little window! the shape of the door is awesome, makes me dream of living in a house rather than my apt.!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy shop- http://www.operationpapercut.etsy.com
my blog- http://www.operation-paper-cut.blogspot.com
OPERATION PAPER CUT- hand bound journals, stationery and more.
handbaghannah83
Cooking and Scrapbooking= <3 LOVE <3

Dont just dream it.....Believe it!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005 07:55:27 PM »

your house is tres cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honorhappy
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005 08:00:37 PM »

Is your coffee table a pallet?  That seems like a great idea!  Isn't it a bit on the short side, or do the castors raise it up more than I think it does?  I love the colors, I love the living room, and I love the potential!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
colie
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005 09:12:20 PM »

Is your coffee table a pallet?  That seems like a great idea!  Isn't it a bit on the short side, or do the castors raise it up more than I think it does?  I love the colors, I love the living room, and I love the potential!
Funny story, actually! It is a pallet inspired table. The original concept was to actually just get some busted up pallets (normally a GREAT source of free wood, since warehouses go through them like nothing) and put casters on them. I always saw them behind my school's art studios, behind factories- seriously, everywhere I went. So, we grabbed a few and set them on the porch. The next morning I went to clean them off, started banging on them, and little white ants started falling out. I am from North Dakota originally, and had never seen a termite before (they just haven't made it that far north, I guess), but I figured it out pretty darn fast. Of course I freaked out, because my house is old, and has a LOT of wood (floors, trim outside and in) and was just deemed termite free by an inspector. So, that pallatte was disposed of. We went looking again and again, but before bringing them home always gave them a good banging on the ground, and every single one had termites! So the moral of the story is always inspect your free wood. (That was meant to sound much less dirty than it did.)

The coffee table is really low, probably around two feet off the ground. I like low coffee tables, I think they make conversation easier (and anything on it, like flowers) doesn't interfere with the wiew of the tv (which is on the lowest shelf, next to the beethoven bust). However, for the night stand in our bedroom we built a box with casters on the bottom, which is really spiffy, and would translate wonderfully into a coffee table.

Anyhow, thanks for all the compliments guys! I have no family and few friends that live close enough to visit(my husband is in the navy, hence the uprooting), so it is nice to be able to share with you guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005 08:03:13 AM »

Very cute house, the roof line anyway.  The shrubs, while lovely, are too overgrown, and block the view of the house.  The interior shots show that your house has good "bones" and a lot of potential, and that you are enjoying decorating it.  Keep up the good work.  Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
t-dub
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005 09:13:27 AM »

I love the look of brick houses with flower shrubs in the front... such a homey feeling  Wink

I absolutley fell in love with the green in the kitchen... i think green is one of those colors that people are afraid of, but should really love instead. Fantabulous pictures sweetie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honorhappy
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005 07:12:40 PM »

Going to inspect free wood now...heh heh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msbeautifull
Craftser Afficianado

Drink Down Your Gin and Kerosine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005 02:34:01 PM »

i seriosuly love your house! from the charming outside to the ahhhhhmazing living room.  there's not one thing about that living room i do not like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On the way home held your camera like a Bible, hoping desperately it contained some sort of truth

Every revolution began with one small act of defiance
lady4feet
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005 11:00:59 PM »

Where did you get your shelves in your living room? I've been looking for them but haven't had any luck. Love you house, so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Six Lies About Digital Photography
Photography Lighting Techniques Part 1/2
How to use a light meter
How to Work with Natural light
How to Take Easy baby portraits
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...