A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mentor needed  (Read 664 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iloveeightiesrock
Debbie Stoller ROCKS!

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2005 10:14:45 PM »

I am looking for a mentor/advice. I am a senior in design/visual communication and want to pursue a career in design/diy/publishing. I have worked very hard and am an accomplished student and designer. My goal is to work for a publishing company that produces diy publications. Then open an independent company and publish diy mags and special intest books. any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
foufigirl

Sketchbook Project Theme: In Flight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005 12:58:13 PM »

hiya! it's great that you know what you want to do!
i have 14 yrs experience in the design field so can offer a few things:
-gear your portfolio towards what you want to do. don't show stuff you don't like/want to do, as that is what you will end up doing(Murphy's Law and all that jazz!!) so for publishing, show  examples of page layout/brochure/catalogue if possible. show examples of any printed pieces you may have done.

-be honest about your skills and how long it takes you to do something. so many times i have seen potential hires say they know how to do something or use required software but when it comes down to it, if they don't, it's very apparent very fast!

-in publishing and publication design, attention to detail and consistency is very important. i can't stress that enough. spellcheck and spellcheck again.check your layouts for consistent margins, placement of recurring elements, consistent typesetting and alignment!

-know that, despite what instructors might tell you, you will start most often at entry level design jobs by doing the crappy grunt work. you might not get to design anything for a while! and probably won't get paid very much to do it! it may seem like torture, and sometimes it is, but you can learn from it and the better you do it, the faster you can get past it. and it's always good to know the technical side of the design process as in file organization, file prep & prepress, etc.

-the publishing industry is heavy on the freelance side, often not having in-house staff, rather having 1-2 designers and farming out the rest. you may have luck in applying for freelance work.

-most of all, employers want to see that you're excited about design, eager and willing to learn. if an employer asks you if you know how to use a certain program or technique and you don't, say "not yet but i plan to take a course/learn/study it" or something like that to show that you are being proactive.

-no matter what, every work environment/studio/agency has a very different way of doing things. be open to what senior designers/art directors.employers say, listen and learn!

i hope that will help you & good luck! it's a fun industry to be in!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005 01:25:16 PM »

I just have a couple things to reinforce foufigirl's advice...

I am an editor, although it's for a business publication (*yawn*), but I will sit there with a clear ruler and check all edges of the articles on EACH draft that I see.  I see that kind of thing go unchecked far too often and it bugs the crap out of me.

SPELL CHECK IS A NECESSITY!  I may not use it for myself, but I can damn near spot any misspelled word when it comes across my desk.

Make sure you're up-to-date on all the software that is common, for example Quark and Photoshop, all the countless others... one of our GDs "fudged" about Quark experience, and it shows.  A LOT.  If it weren't for the inventive and downright awesome designs this person comes up with, they'd be out of here in a second.  The head honcho was VERY forgiving on this issue, and probably shouldn't have been, but the GD is getting better every day.

There is a ton more, but I don't have particular expertise in that field.. limited, but enough to know the basics.  My advice: get a few people to look over your stuff, check the details and lines, and make sure it looks right.  When you've seen it a billion times, your brain makes up for what is missing without you even knowing it.  A fresh eye is all you need to see a misplaced subscript or non-italicized comma.  Sadly, I can pick that out in a flash...

My kids are going to have the best grammar EVER!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
iloveeightiesrock
Debbie Stoller ROCKS!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005 01:51:40 PM »

Thank you for the advice. I did my internship with the Cincinnati Ballet this summer and the experience was phenomenal!  I am very excited about "getting out there" and have started a diy craft club at the college and am hoping to start a craft mafia in my area. Thanks again .. any advice is greatly appreciated and extremely beneficial. I believe the more advice you get from your peers and mentors the better off you are. thanks again! Off to bake for a bake sale benefit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Converting a Tracing Object into Paths
Extreme Website Makeover - Adjusting the Trace Settings
Extreme Website Makeover - Adjusting Tracing Presets, Mode and Threshold
Extreme Website Makeover - Live Trace and the Tracing Options Dialog Box
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating a Company Logo with Illustrator®
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...