A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Painting on Perspex  (Read 688 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annie is a ninja
« on: August 11, 2005 04:04:54 PM »

My aunt has employed me to make a wall hanging for her via paint on perspex. I am anxious to get started on it, but am troubled by the type of paint to use. My best guess is acrylic. Does anyone know for sure?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sweet_Enemy
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005 07:23:53 PM »

If Perspex is a kind of plastic, you can get mediums to mix into acrylics so that they'll stick more permanently to it. 

Here are some links that might be helpful: 

http://www.goldenpaints.com/products/medsadds/polymers/index.php

also their contact info, because I've heard their technical help-line people are really nice and helpful:

http://www.goldenpaints.com/contacts/contact.php

Also, we just got this book at our store, and I have been sneaking a free read whenever I have free time:
http://www.watsonguptill.com/detail.html?id=0-8230-3159-4

I don't know if it has info on perspex or similar, but if you work in acrylic, check it out.

cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BadBird
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005 06:10:50 PM »

Painting on plastic can be very hard.  There are 3 things that make it difficult.  1.)  Plastic is very smooth and has little tooth for paint to stick  2.) MANY plastics contain a additive that helps them stay slick and clean, so paints will not stick  3.) Plastics off gas.  This means that as plastics get older gases from the chemicals in the plastic escape into the air, if you cover it with something sold, like paint, the plastic can't breath and often bubbles will appear. 

Sorry to sound so negative but I owned a sign and graphics shop for 20 years and plastic was always a pain. But, for all I know you'll slap on a layer of Acrylic paint and have no trouble.

DO A TEST FIRST!
and try calling the manufacture of the material and they should be able to help you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.andreazuill.com - Paintings and Embroidery
www.badbird.etsy.com - Art Prints and Embroidery patterns
http://zuill.us/andreablog/
river_roane
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005 12:38:04 AM »

I remember having seen commercials for a type of spray paint that is meant to bind to plastic to paint it effectively. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it, but I'd imagine if you went to a Home Depot or something like that, they could help you out.

In my search, I did find this, though: an "adhesion promoter." It seems like it will help prepare the surface so that it takes paint better, which may work better anyways if what you wanted to do can't be done with spray paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LibbyLib
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005 04:04:27 PM »

I don't know if this is of any use to you, but I have actually used some mica powders, such as PearlEx, mixed them with some PerfectPaperAdhesive and if needed, with a little Gum Arabic.
I have pinted on glass and plastic and it worked perfectly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Greetings to you all
LibbyLib
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Better Bacon
Four Cheese Mac & Cheese
Apple Sauce Cake Recipe
Authentic Bayou Country Gumbo
How to Make Chicken and Artichokes with Chef Patrick Connolly at Bobo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...