A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cardi-Wrap or Cardi-Shawl  (Read 2374 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , shrug  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laura99
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005 01:00:37 PM »

Heyy michelle,Congratulations!!!!.
 I spent $13.75 for the pattern and I don't have a serger, I'm jealous, very jealous. And you are right the pattern looks so simple. I need to go and buy fabric, just waiting for $$$$$$$$$$$$. And if you said was so easy to put it together, I should by at least 2 different fabrics  Grin.

And thanks to post the type of fabric you used. I always have issues (lots of them) buying the correct fabric for any project. And I'm not going to tell the time I invest looking for the right fabric that ends being the wrong one  Cry. Sooo I'm going to look for the Poly stretchy suede.

Laura
THIS ROCKS   Logged
michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005 08:48:19 PM »

Heyy michelle,Congratulations!!!!.
 I spent $13.75 for the pattern and I don't have a serger, I'm jealous, very jealous. And you are right the pattern looks so simple. I need to go and buy fabric, just waiting for $$$$$$$$$$$$. And if you said was so easy to put it together, I should by at least 2 different fabrics  Grin.

And thanks to post the type of fabric you used. I always have issues (lots of them) buying the correct fabric for any project. And I'm not going to tell the time I invest looking for the right fabric that ends being the wrong one  Cry. Sooo I'm going to look for the Poly stretchy suede.

Laura

I think you could use medium or lighweight stretch fabric, I just used a medium weight for warmth because I live in Saskatchewan (chilly now).  I think too heavy a fabric would pull down and feel akward.  With the stuff I used I can't really tie it in front or back, there is too much bulk, but draping it over my shoulder looks awesome. 

Here is the finished wrap! The pics aren't very clear thanks to me trying to edit them LOL!  (Yikes how can I edit "red face"!) And sorry they are huge pics.

Hopefully that helps you a bit and I can't wait to see yours!

Michelle Giordano
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laura99
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005 11:44:21 AM »

I have serious doubt about your cardi wrap Wink Are you sure you didn't buy it?Huh (joking) That's awesome, like the fabric a lot! You did an excellent work there. I think you are the first one to post a Homemade Cardi-Wrap. That's what I'm talking about the classic/elegant look. You are pretty so I think anything looks good on you. The pics are great they capture everything I need it to know.Besides I love big photos I can apreciate better others work.
 I had 2nd. thoughts about making it, you know the cheap homemade look (I'm not that good sewing), but yours looks G-R-E-A-T!!! So Michelle I'm going today to the fabric store, Hopefully by Monday I will have some pics.
You Inspired me even more! Thanks for posting the pics.
Ohh by the way I use the photoshop (30 day trial  Shocked) and you can make even the teeth whiter, erase wrinkles, pimples ( I have some) etc....hehehehe).

Thanks for everything.  Laura
THIS ROCKS   Logged
michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005 01:54:50 PM »

Laura you are too sweet!  Thanks for liking my cardi-wrap.  Honestly its easy to make them look professional.  just press the hem nicely.  on the corners of the hem I did something different than normal. 

First I folded and pressed the corners over 1" so it looked like a triangel and then I folded the straight edges 3/4 of an inch and they met up nicely at the corners.  then I just top stitched it down.  What a pain to press this stuff, it was sensitive to heat and melted on the test scrap, so I had to use a press cloth.

HTH

Michelle Giordano
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laura99
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005 12:40:41 PM »

Michelle, I cant believe I did it again! I bought a cotton knit fabric, too heavy I mean to thick, like you said only way to use is like a wrap, don't you think the front tails are too short? they don't stay like a wrap unless putting  a pin or something hehehe. By the way I'm not giving up OHHHH NOOOOOOOO!
I have problems with the sleeves, first time sewing something is not straight, I washed my fabric before started and the #$#$@#!! !! fabric shrink about an inch, anyway I started cutting and sewing and I said no problem an inch is nothing, oh gosh,too short in my shoulders so no way I can use it like everyday, unless I don't move and stay like a photograph.
 Remember that I said I'm going to buy 2 fabrics? well... I did, I bought the same fabric. Sooo the other one I'm going to do something else Cry and buy another one, this time very light wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to light, no matter if I freeze Undecided.
 I followed your instructions for the finishing and it worked.  I mean If I don't wear it, If I just show anybody  my cardi wrap no one is going to notice is too small, the sleeves are crooked and yes! looks professional.
 I'm going to try it again and again. By the end I should it buy in cashmere with all this mistakes I'm making. Anyway I wanted my cardi to have pride and dignity so, Is going to have it hehehe.
Michelle dontt ask for pics  I need a sewing or seam-stress(?) psychologist at this moment and heavy doses of whatever. Later I will show you what I did.

Bye for now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005 09:17:05 AM »

Michelle, I cant believe I did it again! I bought a cotton knit fabric, too heavy I mean to thick, like you said only way to use is like a wrap, don't you think the front tails are too short? they don't stay like a wrap unless putting  a pin or something hehehe. By the way I'm not giving up OHHHH NOOOOOOOO!
I have problems with the sleeves, first time sewing something is not straight, I washed my fabric before started and the #$#$@#!! !! fabric shrink about an inch, anyway I started cutting and sewing and I said no problem an inch is nothing, oh gosh,too short in my shoulders so no way I can use it like everyday, unless I don't move and stay like a photograph.
 Remember that I said I'm going to buy 2 fabrics? well... I did, I bought the same fabric. Sooo the other one I'm going to do something else Cry and buy another one, this time very light wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to light, no matter if I freeze Undecided.
 I followed your instructions for the finishing and it worked.  I mean If I don't wear it, If I just show anybody  my cardi wrap no one is going to notice is too small, the sleeves are crooked and yes! looks professional.
 I'm going to try it again and again. By the end I should it buy in cashmere with all this mistakes I'm making. Anyway I wanted my cardi to have pride and dignity so, Is going to have it hehehe.
Michelle dontt ask for pics  I need a sewing or seam-stress(?) psychologist at this moment and heavy doses of whatever. Later I will show you what I did.

Bye for now.

I am sure what you did is fine, and so what if it is too small for you.  Christmas IS coming......do you have smaller friends/sisters/cousins/whoever?  That way your money isn't wasted!!

I agree its not long enough to tie behind, it would have to be at least 10" longer, and then would look funny any other way.  Maybe if it was done in light t-shirt knit it would work that way.

I already had the fabric, and I had bought 1.5 Meters.  the pattern said to buy 1.6 meters, but I figured that pattern layouts always waste fabric so I would be fine.......I was so wrong.  I had about 1/2 cm extra around the pattern.  I guess on vogue patterns you have to buy what they say.....prefferably more!

I just realized that I used inches and metric stuff in the same post.  I hope I don't confuse anyone, I think in both ways for different things!

I can't wait to see pics of your cardi-wrap when you are ready!

Michelle Giordano
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Horseshoes Throwing Tutorial
Overtime and Rebuttals in Beer Pong
How to Play a Normal Beer Pong Play
How to Start the Beer Pong Game
Shooting Styles for Beer Pong
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...