A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,657
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What is your favorite local independant yarn store?  (Read 1309 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shirley Ujest

Nothing to see here, move along.

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2005 12:33:20 PM »

I just got into knitting and while the choices at the Major Craft Stores is nice, I really try my best to support independant book & toy stores. Now, since I am still in the honeymoon phase of knitting, focus my kharma dollars on indy yarn stores.

There is one way north of Metro Detroit.  In the very lovely little village of Linden ( East of Fenton off of 23) called: The Art of Knitting at 175 N. Main, Linden, 48451.  (It's about 35 minutes from me.)

Why I liked Them.
They had, I felt, a really diverse selection of yarns (wool, chenille, alpaca and loads of german/Euro and Japanese makers and some other stuff.) and supported a few local spinners (? not sure if that is the title used, but people who make their own yarn) and it is in a lovely barn like building complete with couches and overstuffed chairs to sit in for lessons.  Their bathroom is very cutesily decorated too. I found their selection of needles and pricing to be very fair and competitive. It's probably 20 minutes farther driving for me with near zero traffic, but I'd rather spend my money there than at a Major Chain where I tend to wander and do impluse purchases of shite I don't need and will never use.

Area Perks: Another plus is it is about 75 yards from a river and the Library ( which is the Old Mill) is right next door ( about 30 yards)  so it is very picturesque.  Apparently there is a lovely coffee shop in down town Linden, but I did not have time or money to partake with my 5 year old.

There are also few antique stores in the area and the next town east is Fenton where they have The French Laundry to eat at ( awesome food) and great little stores.

Mods: I am not connected to this yarn store. I am just trying to promote local businesses where people live, something I strongly beleive in. If this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melissa85148

I do lots of weird things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005 12:43:19 PM »

I went to Ohio Wesleyan University for 2 years and in the little town of Delaware, Ohio where the school is located is a great LYI.  The Stitch Stops Here is right in Downtown Delaware on a side street off of Sandusky Street (the main road in Delaware).  They have an incredible selection of yarn- everything from novelty to wool to cotton and more and they've got a great selection of books and patterns.  The women who work there are really nice and helpful too.  Delaware, OH is located about 30 minutes away from Columbus, OH so take a trip there if you can!

Eleganza Yarns in Frederick, Maryland is the LYI I've been going to since I returned home to MD.  Its a fairly new store with a small selection of yarns but it has the basics and some neat yarn I've seen no where else.  The woman who owns the store is so nice and helpful and is an experienced knitter.  Eleganza has a great selection of books and patterns, notions and needles and spinning supplies too! Check them out on Shab Row in Downtown Frederick!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

drownfuchsia
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005 09:43:55 PM »

My favorite indie LYS is Nina in Chicago's Ukranian Village neighborhood.  The lady who owns the place is uber-sweet and is always willing to help you out with things, provided the shop isn't swamped.  A lot of people complain that its too expensive, but I don't find it to be overly pricey.  I've taken two classes there so far, a hat class and a teddy bear class.  The teachers for both were super friendly and helpful.

For you Chicagoans/Mid-westerners, you can find Nina online at ninachicago.com

-a.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not the carefullest girl.
http://drownfuchsia.blogspot.com
redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005 11:22:26 AM »

My favorite is the Yarn Barn in Lawrence, Kansas.  I really do love it, but my "favorite" label may be skewed as its the only LYS I've ever been to, and the only one within 60 miles of where I live.  They carry a good variety of yarns, including lots of Rowan and Brown Sheep.  Sometimes I wish they had more of certain types of yarns.  Maybe that's just me dreaming of a yarn store near my house with every kind of yarn ever made.  I'll just have to wait until I open that one! Smiley

Some good news though: I was just at the Yarn Barn yesterday and they are now carrying Cascade 220! I've never had a chance to use it, but it shows up so much in patterns that I bought me a skein to make some Knitty pumpkins.  So that's fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlcitizen

Llama's taste good with milk.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005 12:36:39 PM »

i love hillcountry weavers in austin tx.

is this topic in the right forum though?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I knit therefore I am.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Christmas Tree Cupcakes
How to Make a Pre-Fab Lattice Pie Crust
How to Make a Bakewell Tart
How to Make Cookie Dough Dip
How to Make Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Crumble Topping
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...