A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please Help a Lefty!!!  (Read 527 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kiwimonkey
« on: October 09, 2005 07:09:01 PM »

my great-grandmother, my grandmother, and all my great-aunts were HUGE crocheter (is that the correct word for people who crochet?)  Anyway, I've always been fascinated by the craft.  When I was younger my grandmother tried to teach me, but we ran into problems very early on. You see I'm EXTREMELY left handed. And I just couldn't get it. She tried to teach me to use my right-hand, but the darn thing wouldn't (and still won't) do anything I tell it to.  She tried to teach me using my left hand, but we both would get confused and turned around. Eventually I just gave up.  I haven't even thought about crocheting since. That was over 10 years ago. Now I'm ready to try it again. There's so many projects I'd love to be able to do, but I can't. 
Here's where you come in.  Can anyone point a broke college student in the direction of cheap yet GOOD instructions for lefties?? 

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
If I can figure this out before Christmas my g'mom will be SO tickled!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ♥ swaps!
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005 07:49:10 PM »

I bought a beginners Boye crochet kit at the store (Michael's) and It had lefty crochet how-tos in it also. It may help you and it's around 8 bucks I think. comes with like 3 or 4 hooks, some stitch markers, and some other stuff plus a book of a few patterns and instructions. It's kind of outdated but it helped me learn. After that it's just practice practice, observe, practice. I got frustrated sooo much in the first week, but eventually I got it. I actually found out that I was slip stitching everything and not single crocheting.

Edit: I'm not really a lefty, but the instructions they have are just reversed with the pictures. But I can write with both hands...Yeay for Ambis
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005 07:57:27 PM by humblestumble » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
alison
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005 07:51:47 PM »

i bought the susan bates learn to crochet kit from michael's. with a 40% off coupon, it should be cheap.  i'm lefty and it was SOOOOO easy to figure out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kiwimonkey
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005 06:35:21 AM »

Okay Thanks! I'll look into both of these.
However, I was really hoping someone knew of a source that was labeled "For Lefties"  or  something of that nature.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005 08:11:08 AM by Kiwimonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ♥ swaps!
alison
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005 06:46:44 AM »

the susan bates kits have all of the left pages for lefties and all of the right pages for righties, but its not speficly lefty only. i think it has a thing onthe cover saying "directions for lefties"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005 10:29:33 AM »

yea same for the boye one. Theres a section for right handeds and a section for lefties. Even illustrations next to each instruction.

There's also stitchguide.com

and crochetville.com may be able to help you.

Stitchguide.com doesnt have a lefties section, but it does have videos...you could just hold up a mirror to them and watch the mirror though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
kimmykat420
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005 09:07:27 PM »

my mom just pointed out to me the other day that i crochet w/ my right hand now, but i learned to crochet left-handed. i'm a lefty, and when it comes to knitting, i am left-handed. but for some odd reason i changed hands and became right-handed just for crochet. sorry, that wasn't much help, but you got me thinking about how weird i am w/ this post. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Flowers are the sex organs of plants. Who thought it'd be romantic to castrate plants?!"

"You may control my mind, but you'll never control my ass!"

SPEND YOUR MONEY, BUY MY STUFF!
www.punkymompirate.etsy.com
Nevadanteater

has the world changed or have i changed?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005 04:11:17 AM »

check it!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=57056.10
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nic Pizzolatto Talks About Galveston
Nic Pizzolatto Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Steve Martin Reads from Born Standing Up
Andrew Clements Talks About Report Cards
Remixing Shakespeare
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...