A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,715
Currently Running With Scissors:
789 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "American and Asian but not Chinese cuisine for a picky fiance :(  (Read 1673 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

motleykitten

Fuck nosejobs. Jewish Noses are HOT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005 11:25:45 AM »

You're Trinidadian huh? Woah, I can't say that 5 times fast!  Cheesy I am a bit of a picky eater too, and I am on the organic bandwagon as well, so I might have some ideas.
Rice is an American and Asian staple, and there are about as many kinds of rice out there as there are people. Throw some chicken or tofu and some veggies maybe into a wok, and cover them with any sauce from mild to spicy (whatever he likes best).
Sushi can be an acquired taste for some, but its good for you, and its delicious. Only thing is, its expensive, can be hard to make, and you have to taste a lot of bad stuff before you find a place that makes it right (i.e.; don't buy your sushi at Target!).
Asking his mom what recipes she made that he liked is a good idea too, awynkoop.
What about Vietnamese? Pho (a soup) is really good and can have chicken, beef, pork, whatever in it.
Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up yours, young people. You and your rock and roll 8-track tapes!
laureg

*alchemist extraordinaire*

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005 12:03:59 PM »

you're a better woman than i- i'd be directing him to the nearest cereal box.

and that comment about it's not like his mom makes, or whatever- yiiiiiiiiii!!! this may be the time to remind him that he's marrying YOU and not his mother, otherwise it's going to be a very long "till-death-do-us-part".

seriously, though, why doesn't he take a cooking class? or both of you together? or  could google the recipes he wants to make and you two could cook together on the weekends. it would also be a nice opportunity to spend some quality time together   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you are not the boss of me
tamagotchi
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005 02:22:28 PM »

seriously, though, why doesn't he take a cooking class? or both of you together? or  could google the recipes he wants to make and you two could cook together on the weekends. it would also be a nice opportunity to spend some quality time together   Wink

I totally agree with this!  My boyfriend is Russian and only likes things that I will never know how to make.  Every time we go out to eat, I watch what kinds of things he orders, and then we learn how to make it at home.  For example, when he was into sushi I bought him a sushi mat and a book on making sushi, and we had a roll-your-own sushi party.  Once I had coached him through a few recipes (the Joy of Cooking helped here) he started making stuff on his own.  The other day he made banana bread.  He was so proud, he brought it into work to show off to his coworkers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
sharc
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005 05:20:19 AM »

Wow .. .thanks for all the suggestions!!!
I think Cam knows that it hurts a bit, but still kinda does it a bit "oblivious" to the fact maybe? I dunno. . ..he's just what I call "weird" that way and my Mom calls "plain darn disgusting". I mentioned the cooking thing to him again, and says that he'll cook Tuesdays and Thursdays .. . last time he was home alone, he cooked plain rice for dinner. .. ..so I'll let you know what happens tonight !  Undecided
The sushi, I'm actually not a huge fan of, (it's more like a been there done that kinda thing for me), and Cam likes to eat it in the Jap. restaurants, but maybe it's something I can try with him. .. .. he says that in Ohio, you don't get fresh fish too often, and I do remember last year when I went diving for lobster and brought a few home (he loves lobster), he almost died when he saw them in his kitchen sink. .. .**almost** didn't eat any (he looks before he eats). .. he's a funny kid, he really is, but refuses to admit it!
The dinner idea.. .. .I've done that, except it was family and friends over, and he'll just have a tiny bit of whatever it is, and say that he's not hungry, then scrounge around the cupboards later and admit he didn't like the food. **sigh** now c'mon guys, be honest with me. . . is Caribbean food *that* bad? . . I guess I find it hard to believe, as I don't eat the really "weird" stuff, and so many people come to Trinidad and fall in love with the cuisine  Huh

. .. .ps. . .Friday I made a 32-bean soup I'd gotten in Wild Oats (we decided to have Boston Market instead Sad, Saturday I made turkey chili n' cornbread (that one was ok), Sat. night we had chinese food (he had wanton soup), and Sunday we had Burger King and leftovers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005 07:20:27 PM »

mmmm jerk chicken mmmm ... scuse me started daydreaming Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bastelmutti
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005 06:59:30 AM »

Speaking of Caribbean food, do you have a recipe for spicy meat pies?
mmmmmmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharc
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005 07:27:23 AM »

do you mean jamaican patties?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shmooey
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005 12:41:14 AM »

i realllly like caribbean food! No its not weird, infact, i dont know anyone who dislikes it.

Im honestly a little taken back by how your fiance is acting about all this. Everyone has been sort of hinting- but i guess i'll be blunt Tongue

Of course i dont know your personal situation, but he seems to be treating you pretty shitty about this whole thing.  And even if it seems like "Oh its just food", and isnt really a big problem, well... food is an everday part of life, and i can  promise it will be a huge issue later if he cant think of one nice thing to say about you putting out so much effort.

I would firstly- let him know that it is NOT okay to treat you, and your cooking like that. Like an above poster said, Just because he likes his orange chicken a little bit differently, is NO excuse to simply throw your food away. That sounds very immature, and wow... i cant even imagine what i would do if my boyfriend said something like that to me.

Also, if he cant appreciate your efforts in the kitchen... cook good food for yourself, and tell him to figure out what food he wants. You have no reason to cook for him when he wont appreciate it, and wont like it.

Im truely am sorry if i sound mean or something! :/ i just cant stand to hear about fellow craftsters in hard family situations like this. You honestly dont deserve to be shut down about your cooking like that! 

That being said, Can you have him make a list of foods he does like? or will he feed it to the dog if its not EXACTLY how he likes it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharc
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005 05:34:40 AM »

Shmooey,
Thanks so much for your honest opinion. . ..I needed that! I've voiced it many times how picky and hard to cook for he is, and the last resolution he came to, was to cook on Tuesdays/Thursdays (days he's home early). I also accidentally left up this post on my comp. screen last weekend (I promise it was a genuine accident!), and think he may have read it. He's started to try a bit harder though with other things around the house, and eats his own thing when I'm away at my parents (when last I checked, he had plain rice for one dinner and cereal for another!) and so far for Tues./Thurs., we've been having take-out  Shocked My next step though is to do what many have suggested and make *him* make the list, with no help from me, so that I can get *better* at this stuff. . .. . **grin** who knew moving out from Mom's wing would be this hard at times!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bastelmutti
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005 06:35:45 AM »

My next step though is to do what many have suggested and make *him* make the list, with no help from me, so that I can get *better* at this stuff. . .. . **grin** who knew moving out from Mom's wing would be this hard at times!!

I think you got to the crux of the problem - it's not you who needs to get *better*, it's HIM! HE is the one with the respect problem - it's not your cooking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Upcycle a Plastic Bottle Into a Bumblebee
How to Make a Jet Zeppelin from a Balloon
How to Make a Piece of Recording Tape Into Tumbling Tapeweed
Princeton Review On The Most Selective Colleges - Your Best Application
How To Tan a Hide
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...