A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tare Panda Purse - Part II of Simplicity 4490 Sewalong  (Read 2917 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 06, 2005 07:27:54 PM »

My attempt to sew pattern C from Simplicity 4490 was not a rousing success...mostly because I have a problem with following instructions  Sad  Oh, and I also used the wrong interfacing material Roll Eyes  Here's the link to what started this madness:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=53187.0

Sucker that I am, I was persuaded by Miss_michelle to try again.  This is my attempt on pattern D from Simplicity 4490!

I didn't have time to shop for fabric, but I did find this lovely thing in my fabric stash:

Basically, pattern D is a smaller version of pattern C.  Here's what I came up with:

I decided not to do the ribbon ties because I don't have the patience for ribbon ties.  What I did need, was a pocket for the little bits and pieces that get thrown in my purses:

Okay, I'm happier with my 2nd attempt, but the purse still needs a little tweaking before I can use it.  So here's a question for you (that is if you're still reading this!):

Since I decided not to do the ties, the middle portion of the purse tends to flop (even though I used the stiffest non-felt interfacing I could find).  Any suggestions on how to remedy this?!?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010 10:50:03 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Winter Market 2014
brubendall
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005 07:59:56 PM »

Unless you use something REALLY stiff (like plastic canvas or something), you're going to have this problem because of the design of the purse.   I don't think that a ribbon tie would even help that much (if you're talking about a ribbon on each side of the purse to tie it closed).

Instead of having the top of the purse go straight across, you could make it curve down (like a semi-circle).  This will help.

Or put two handles, one on each side, instead of the one from end to end.  The single handle is basically pulling the two ends of the purse together, which makes the middle flop down.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005 08:26:12 PM by brubendall » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lizabethdesign.etsy.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizabethdesign/

Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.
echoglow
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005 08:21:47 PM »

i can't help with the floppy-ness, but i LOVE the fabric! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hyena
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005 08:25:38 PM »

oh my oh my oh my. where did you get that fabric!? I'm in love with Tare Panda! Please let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaami
was born with roses in her eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005 08:59:19 PM »

oh my oh my oh my. where did you get that fabric!? I'm in love with Tare Panda! Please let me know!

ME TOO! I MUST HAVE SOME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been away from the site going through lots of medical testing. If I have not wrote you or mailed something, please understand that my concerns right now are my health and I will send things asap!

Please DO NOT COPY the toys, drawings or stickers I make. They're copyrighted!
kat_penguino

I'm a noble rabbit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005 10:30:46 PM »

seriously! I love tare panda.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005 08:49:26 AM »

Unless you use something REALLY stiff (like plastic canvas or something), you're going to have this problem because of the design of the purse.   I don't think that a ribbon tie would even help that much (if you're talking about a ribbon on each side of the purse to tie it closed).

Instead of having the top of the purse go straight across, you could make it curve down (like a semi-circle).  This will help.

Or put two handles, one on each side, instead of the one from end to end.  The single handle is basically pulling the two ends of the purse together, which makes the middle flop down.

Thanks for the input and suggestions Smiley  And yes, the pattern did call for ribbon ties on each side of the purse.  I guess it's reassuring to know that the floppiness is due to an inherent design flaw, not the omission of the ribbon ties!  I have made other purses (without using a pattern) with two handles as opposed to one and they work alright.  It was kinda late last night when I finished it, so I didn't think about using velcro.  That might work, no?     
THIS ROCKS   Logged

STS Winter Market 2014
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005 09:30:22 AM »

jaami and hyena: I found the fabric on ebay ~ 1.5 years ago.  If I'm not mistaken, the item was shipped from the Philippines!  This is the first time I've used the fabric for any of my projects. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

STS Winter Market 2014
thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005 09:43:14 AM »

OMG tarepanda fabric?Huh  O_O
That's incredible.  And the purse is cute, too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://zomboid.com
My website, newly redesigned as of 9-2010! ^_^

http://facebook.com/heycookie
Yes, I have one of those, too. ^^;
brubendall
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005 08:20:36 PM »

Thanks for the input and suggestions Smiley  And yes, the pattern did call for ribbon ties on each side of the purse.  I guess it's reassuring to know that the floppiness is due to an inherent design flaw, not the omission of the ribbon ties!  I have made other purses (without using a pattern) with two handles as opposed to one and they work alright.  It was kinda late last night when I finished it, so I didn't think about using velcro.  That might work, no?     

Velcro might help a little, but then you'll still have the flop, it will just be to one side or the other with both sides together instead of each side floppin open.  It really is a design flaw.  Store-bought purses that are designed like this are ultra-stiff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lizabethdesign.etsy.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizabethdesign/

Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Carve a Pumpkin for Halloween
How a Native American Drum Is Made
Pumpkin Carving 101
How to Arrange Cymbidium Orchids in Cylinder Vase
Halloween Flower Decoration Ideas
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...