A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
326 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boston: Finding yard sales  (Read 1374 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hilatron

Robots craft too!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 24, 2004 04:41:08 AM »

So, everyone, I need to do some serious yard-saling this summer.  I was wondering if there's a good place that you all look for sale listings in the Boston area, whether it's one of the many small weeklies, a city paper, or an online source. 

I'm in Brookline and without a car, so cruising around looking for signs is a slow and tiring process.  I tried Craigslist, but people don't really advertise ahead of time on there - "garage sale" usually means "come by my house after work on a Thursday!" whereas my ideal is to spend a Saturday or Sunday morning hitting the pavement with a list and a map.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004 05:30:28 AM by hilatron » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty Robot: Handmade goods for discerning humans
tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004 12:59:50 PM »

Hmmmm...I live in Somerville....also without a car.  I have usually had pretty good luck with craigslist in finding yard sales for the up coming weekend (I look in the "community" section or the "for sale" section).  Sometimes people will advertise in the newspaper...though with the internet being free and all, not sure how much they do that anymore as things like craigslist are free.  What about looking on bulliten boards in shops (coffee shops, grocery store, laundromat) near you?  Eh...I might not have been too much help...sorry.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FunkyBubble

Help, help, a Herrible Hoffalump!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004 01:01:09 PM »

I live in Newton, and I know that every Saturday if it's nice out there are a ton of yard sales.  Although my mom does usually let me use the car, you could just take the T, hop off and walk around. A bike would probably make it easier, although lack of a car makes it hard to carry a bunch of stuff.  It seems that a lot of churches and temples have yard sales.  If you're interested, Temple Rayim on Washington St. in Newton is having a big yard sale June 6th.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reconstructed Skirts and other crafts
http://www.funkybubble.com
A-Team Mama
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004 05:34:59 PM »

Have you tried The TAB? It's a weekly. That's where I'd go first to advertise a yard sale. I live in nearby Needham and our community newspaper listed around 10 last week.

Happy hunting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hilatron

Robots craft too!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004 05:12:42 AM »

Thanks guys!  I will try all of your solutions (duh, it never occurred to me to look in the Community section of Craigslist!)

I kind of feel like a tool that I had to ask this at all, but I grew up in a fairly small town where there was one place in one paper to advertise sales, and your other option was driving around with Mom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty Robot: Handmade goods for discerning humans
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Who Rocked the Frock: Edie Falco, Tess Daly, or Shalom Harlow?
Top Five Fall Denim Trends
How to Make a Personalized Apron With Elmo
How to Care For Leather Shoes
Akademiks Clothing Promo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...