A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
368 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Candy  (Read 5110 times)
Tags for this thread: candy , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Moonbubbles
« on: October 06, 2005 05:30:42 PM »

Does anyone know how to make any christmas candys. Did a few google searches but who knows in they are any good. Please post the proven Yummy candies and how to make them please.
Thanks,
Amanda
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005 12:00:52 PM »

I make Peppermint Bark every year, with white chocolate, milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips.  I think it tastes better than the almond bark stuff you can get in blocks, for this recipe anyway.  Pretzels taste better with the almond bark.  Odd.

Anyway...

Peppermint Bark

1 (12 ounce) package white chocolate chips
1 (12 ounce) package milk chocolate chips
1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocoalte chips
24 hard peppermint candies FOR EACH BATCH
(usually I just mix candy canes and starlight mints and crush them together... and I don't use a set limit, I eyeball it.  And taste it a lot.  Wink)

Line a cookie sheet with wax paper (parchment works, but wax paper works better.)

Melt the chocolates (separate batches!) either in a double boiler or in the microwave in a micro-safe bowl, slowly. In the microwave, I use 50% power for a minute, stir, and then do 50% power for 30 seconds, then 50% power for 10 second intervals until melted all the way.
Crush all the peppermints in a big ziptop bag with a rolling pin or hammer.. whatever you've got laying around.

Pour the peppermint bits (separate batches!) into a seive or strainer over the melted chocolate (that will put the tiny bits in, while keeping the big pieces out to decorate with... or you can skip that part and just dump a bunch and save some.)  Stir it up.

Pour it onto the wax paper and spread it out evenly.  Sprinkle the leftover candies on top.  Let it stand for about an hour.. I usually put it in the fridge after the hour is up for 15 minutes or so.  Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
Starla

It's a piece of cake!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005 12:46:02 PM »

I do recommend the peppermint bark.  I made it last year and was a big hit.

I gave out Rocky Road drops last year too, also a big hit.  This one is super easy

12 oz bag of milk choc. chips
mini marshmellows
chopped up nuts of choice (i usually use peanuts and almonds)

melt the choc. chips in a bowl in the microwave at half power.  Make sure to pull them out just as they melt, do not leave them in too long or the chocolate will scorch and seize. 
I didn't put in how much marshmallows and nuts to use because it is up to you.  Mix in the amount you thinks looks good.  I usually put in a cup of nuts and then as many marshmellows as the chocolate will hold together.
Then just plop the mixture out in mounds on some wax paper.  Make them as big or little as you like.  And then let them solidify.  This can take awhile, sometimes overnight. You can also put them in the refriderator to speed up the drying, but don't leave them in there too long.
These look great packaged up in cellophane with ribbons.  And you can change the ingredients all you want.  Make peanut clusters using only peanuts, or peanut raisin clusters.  Or use white chocolate.  I made smores drops using marshmellows and Graham crackers (coarsely crushed.). 

A big hit with my family every year and they only take a few minutes to make.

I also have a lovely dipped chocolate almond truffle recipe if anyone is interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scream-a-little
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005 03:08:18 PM »

i'm also a big fan of the peppermint bark.. but one thing i also get my kids making is chocolate dipped pretzel sticks. they dip them in the melted chocolate chips and then roll them in sprinkles..SUPER EASY!!  this year i am making fudge & truffles too.. i would love to see your truffle recipe Starla..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One shoe can change your life"   Cinderella
ecstasia
Little Girl Lost

I love personal swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005 04:32:58 PM »

I found this recipe last year and made it and everyone at work loved it. I'll be making it again this year I'm sure:

Peppermint Fudge
1 12oz package of white chocolate chips
1 can vanilla creamy frosting
1/2 tsp. peppermint candies (crushed)
4 drops of red food coloring
1 tsp of peppermint extract

Directions
Line 8" square pan with foil extending over the edges of the pan. Lightly spray the foil with PAM. In a large microwave bowl microwave chips on high for 1-2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Stir in frosting and peppermint extract. Spread in pan. Drop red food coloring over fudge. Pull knife through mixture to make marble effect. Sprinkle crushed peppermint candy on top and press slightly. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour, no longer. Remover fudge from pan by lifting foil. Cut into 30 squares.

It's super easy and super yummy!

-- Lissi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wenders

"Talent is God's gift to you, what you do with it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005 01:18:24 PM »

I love making peppermint patties at Christmas they're easy and oh so yummy not to mention a crowd pleaser  Smiley Check out eaglebrand.com they have some great holiday candy recipes.

Peppermint Patties:
Ingredients
 1 (14-ounce) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
 Green or red food coloring, optional
 6 cups confectioners' sugar
 Additional confectioners' sugar
 1 1/2 pounds chocolate-flavored candy coating*, melted
 Instructions
 In large mixer bowl, combine Eagle Brand®, extract and food coloring if desired. Add 6 cups confectioners'sugar; beat on low speed until smooth and well blended. Turn mixture onto surface sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar.
 Knead lightly to form smooth ball. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on wax paper-lined baking sheets. Flatten each ball into a 1½-inch patty.
 Let dry 1 hour or longer; turn over and let dry at least 1 hour. With fork, dip each patty into warm candy coating (draw fork lightly across rim of pan to remove excess coating). Invert onto wax paper-lined baking sheets; let stand until firm. Store covered at room temperature or in refrigerator.

Notes: *Also called confectioners’ or summer coating 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you."
-Maya Angelou
night_owl
Crafty Mom

I love being a mom!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005 01:35:01 PM »

This inspires me to go find all my candy recipes!!  Hopefully I'll be able to find 'em so I can post 'em Cheesy  Either way I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this thread; all the recipes posted so far sound great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog

I'm back after a long time away and trying to find time to craft as I adjust to life as a mom!
re
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005 12:27:51 PM »

I once tried a recipe using corn syrup to make my own candy cane candy. using a candy thermometer, you boil the syrup and peppermint extract, and SUPPOSEDLY, have two pots one red coloured (food dye) one white. well. I decided to be origional, modify the recipee using only one pot with blue food colouring to make it icy looking. your're supposed to string it out of the pot (dripping from a spoon) and stretch it onto wax paper. well, I obviously did everything wrong, because the stuff was so darn hot, it solidified mid air, burnt and melted through the wax paper, melted all over my counter and hardened, and turned brown, not blue. that was also my last attempt at candy making beyond fudge or brittle.

the day was saved though. I ended up with all these lumpy brown turd looking candy - I chipped as much off my counter, put it in a tin and labeled it: "candy cane flavoured snowman poop" and gave it to my friends husband who LOVED IT. the stuff apparently tasted fine. (I wouldn't know if he was just being nice about that though - I am diabetic.

Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

night_owl
Crafty Mom

I love being a mom!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005 12:38:18 PM »

re your story just made my day!!  That sounds exactly like something that would happen to me!!  When I cook, it's a rule that I have to disconnect the smoke alarm first 'cause I ALWAYS manage to burn something (of course as soon as the smoke has cleared, I reconnect the alarm).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog

I'm back after a long time away and trying to find time to craft as I adjust to life as a mom!
re
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005 02:06:00 PM »

yes, I have learned - if you can't follow directions well (or are too impatient to do so, like me) and it involves high temperatures and sticky things and baking - avoid it at all costs, or buddy up with someone who will make it and you do the packaging. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Flattering Plus-Size Styles, from Tim Gunn
Tim Gunn: Designing Clothes For Plus-Sized Women
I Have DD Boobs And A Flat Butt! What Do You Wear?
A Great Substitute For Heels, from Tim Gunn
Helen Vs. Cleopatra, from Tim Gunn
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...