A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,939
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Candy  (Read 5216 times)
Tags for this thread: candy , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

around
mama

where are we going? why are we in this handbasket?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005 05:57:49 PM »

i just have to thank you for posting this. i have been making hard candy with lor-ann oils for about 16 years and have never looked at their website. THERE IS SO MUCH GREAT STUFF ON THERE.
I make the stove-top hard candy recipe, and at Christmas time, i make cinnamon (dyed red), butterscotch (the oil has enough color to make it the perfect gold) and spearmint (which i dye green). but they have about a million flavors. i use that exact recipe and have NEVER had any trouble. one caution: the cinnamon is STRONG. before you put the oil in the hot candy, you'd better have the windows open and the fans going or you'll have that cinnamon smell up your nose for a MONTH. don't inhale while you're doing it either, because it BURNS. Bad.

here is the lor-ann website, and there are SO MANY OTHER great things on there. i hope i get caught up by Christmas so i can try some more!!!

http://www.lorannoils.com/gor_recipes.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the centuries are sprinkled with rare magic and divine creatures who help us get past the common and extraordinary ills that beset us

Favorite Craftster quote --
"Normal" is for chumps, suckers and saps. -TheMistressT
pmpknpunk
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005 10:58:02 AM »

Oh my gosh I know what you mean, the Cinn. burns soooooooooo bad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kewlchik
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005 09:04:45 AM »

ALMOND ROCA (EASY)   

1 lb. butter
2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. Karo syrup
6 tbsp. water
1 c. blanched almonds, crushed

Melt butter, remove from heat. Add Karo syrup, water and sugar. Cook on medium heat to 290 degrees or until color of brown paper. Stir in almonds. Turn into pan, melt Hershey bar over Roca and sprinkle with fine chopped almonds
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005 10:57:58 AM »

Candied nuts are super easy and eating them is addictive. Take a couple cups of nuts of your choice (not chopped; half pieces are good); Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. When melted, add about 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar. Turn the heat up to medium high. Stirring constantly, quickly add the nuts. This will cook quickly, so don't walk away. When the sugar gets dark, remove the nuts to a single layer on foil to cool.

At this point you can add some sprinkles of cinnamon or whatever you fancy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moonbubbles
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005 06:47:01 AM »

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I'm going to try making a batch of pepperment bark (test run first) Wish me luck.

Amanda
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluesparkie

crafter and fashionista

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005 08:15:44 AM »

I love this thread!  I've been making fudge for the past couple years and it always gets really good reviews, my niece even asked for it for her birthday this year.  This recipe is really easy and doesn't require a candy thermometer.  If you like your fudge more or less sweet, you can adjust the ratio of milk to semisweet chocolate accordingly.

1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Line an 8x8 inch pan with aluminum foil. Set aside.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine marshmallow cream, sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt. Bring to a full boil, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and pour in semisweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in nuts and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan. Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours, or until firm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/bluesparkie

I'm not a nymphomaniac, I'm a compulsive liar.
not2old4glitter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2005 09:16:03 PM »

I make that peppermint bark too, oh it's so good and last year I made these chocolate graham crackers, really thin and crispy, and spread the white peppermint bark goo on them while the white chocolate was still melted. Then put it in the fridge to harden. You could do it with storebought chocolate graham crackers too but they are thicker and less crispy.

I am addicted to the candied nuts, I do almonds and pecans most years and sunflower seeds are really good too. I salt them right after I spread them out to cool, the salt sticks because the candy part isn't quite cool yet. The sweet/salty contrast is really good, it's like honey roasted nuts. I have made pralines too but I don't like them as well as the salty/sweet candied nuts. Chocolate dipped pretzels have that salty/sweet combo too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Petunia0384
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2005 07:55:02 PM »

Can someone tell me how hard it is to make the peppermint bark?  I don't mean to sound like a wuss, lol, but I'm a college kid who isn't exactly the best cook in the world.  If it's not too hard, I'm thinking of making it and putting it in canisters (they usually have holiday themed ones at the Dollar Tree) to accompany all of my gifts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005 05:52:09 AM »

Can someone tell me how hard it is to make the peppermint bark?  I don't mean to sound like a wuss, lol, but I'm a college kid who isn't exactly the best cook in the world.  If it's not too hard, I'm thinking of making it and putting it in canisters (they usually have holiday themed ones at the Dollar Tree) to accompany all of my gifts.

One of the first posts is my recipe.. not to toot my own horn, but it's awesome stuff.  And, since it's chocolate chips vs. almond bark, it can be made in a microwave!  Just go to dollar tree, get the candy canes there while you get the tins, and you'll be on your way to presents in no time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
Petunia0384
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2005 06:13:12 PM »

One of the first posts is my recipe.. not to toot my own horn, but it's awesome stuff.  And, since it's chocolate chips vs. almond bark, it can be made in a microwave!  Just go to dollar tree, get the candy canes there while you get the tins, and you'll be on your way to presents in no time.

Microwave is good, I like my microwave...  lol. Smiley  I will definitely give it a trial run in December and if I succeed, Peppermint Bark for everyone! Smiley  Thanks for posting the recipe. Smiley

Also, if I did a white chocolate drizzle, how do I do that?  I have gel dyes from my cake decorating class, so I was thinking of using those.  Do I just let it drip off a spoon onto the bark?

Sorry to sound like a cooking idiot, lol...  Again, college student, and my preference for cooking is Lean Pockets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Burt’s Bees Encourages Catcalling with New Body Butter
Max Factor The Face Winner Behind the Scenes
How To Highlight and Contour Using Drugstore Products
This Ingredient Can Treat Skin Damage And Aging
Greg Lauren For Barneys New York
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...