A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,123
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Costume Help... Fairy Wings & Pirate Costume  (Read 2029 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkcottoncandy
« on: September 20, 2005 08:02:29 PM »

Okay, so, my Strawberry Shortcake idea fell through, so, I'm doing the fairy thing... which is what I originally had in my head for about a year now. My costume's done (as far as figuring out what to do, how to do it, etc). Everything's almost complete, only I have to go get the rest of the supplies for the skirt and top (which isn't a lot)... only thing it's missing is wings. Now, granted, Wal-mart even sells wings this year, but, I don't think they have the right colors (I'm doing green and pink w/ gold accents).

Does anyone know how to make fairy wings?

Also, due to my costume choice, my boyfriend has decided to be Captain Hook, only he's in the same situation as me, and he can't spend a great deal of money on a costume. I have a few ideas for helping him with a cost-saving costume, but, was interested if anyone had anything better. So, what are your pirate and/or Captain Hook ideas?

Thank you guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evilwench
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005 08:08:34 PM »

don't know about the pirate thing... but here's a really awesome tut for fairy wings http://www.livejournal.com/community/goodbyescissors/51737.html#cutid1

hope that helps Smiley and good luck Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In my dreams I can fly
michellecooley
just ME

prettymess

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005 08:11:49 PM »

for the wings just use wire u can bend (one year i used just wire from hangers!)  then make two wings whatever shape u want ( I did long kinda pointy ones)  then wrap tule ( or however u spell it!!) over then and decorate w/ glliter etc!!  then i tied mine togetrer and conected them to my costume in the back!!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.myspace.com/michellecooley

"Ever Day....... has a beginning and an ending......"
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005 08:15:57 PM »

pants: find some old pajama pants or sweats.  preferable in a solid (or stripe!  ha-har!).  black, grey, red, green.  at a length he's comfortable with, cut the bottoms of the legs of in a zig zag pattern.  or scrunch the pants up so they're poofy and slap on some tall pirate-y boots. 

shirt: you could do a white dress shirt and slash and dirty it up a bit.  try thrift stores and see if you can find any with puffy sleeves or ruffles on the chest (not 70's tuxedo ruffles, though).  while thrifting, be on the look out for any vests. 

sash/belt: get a long piece of fabric (maybe a strip of an old bedsheet from a thrift store) and tie it around his waist.  long raggedy ends are a plus. 

accessories- a bandana (or pirate hat), an eyepatch, a sword, 5 o'clock shadow.  all shoud be relatively easy to find anywhere with costumes.  if he doesn't have tattoos, you could get some fake ones or draw them on with marker/pen/whatever on his arms. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scissorchic
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005 08:18:53 PM »

I reccomend coat hangers and white pantyhose for fairy wings.  I bet you could just draw on them or even dye them and use gold glitter.  Some rhinestones would be nice.  The opportunities are endless!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005 08:24:55 PM by scissorchic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicegirl512
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005 11:46:28 AM »

don't know about the pirate thing... but here's a really awesome tut for fairy wings http://www.livejournal.com/community/goodbyescissors/51737.html#cutid1

hope that helps Smiley and good luck Wink

Those wings are gorgeous!  I ordered some beautiful wings off eBay last year to be a winter fairy--but the seller accidentally sent me pink instead of white.  I love me some pink, but there was no way it was going with my costume so I had to make some really quickly.  I used basically the same method (though they were not so elaborate and gorgeous!) except for the center I cut four rectangles out of a cardboard box about 3" x 4" and stacked them on top of each other and taped with duct tape to make a block.  Then I duct taped the wire ends to the block, and finally covered the block with a knee high stocking, then decorated that with fake flowers.  I sewed elastic straps to the part of the block against my back.  It worked quite well and gave them some stability.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005 03:17:16 PM by nicegirl512 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy Shop for my jewelry!
Catgirrrl
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005 02:21:50 PM »

I saw this idea for wings in a costume book (can't remember the title though):  Take iridescent cellophane and crinkle it up.  Smooth it out and cut wing shapes that are no bigger than 11x17.  Cut very thin gauged silver wire to the veins.  Laminate the wings with the wire and cellophane in place and then cut the wings out leaving just that thin laminate edge needed and one edge to attach it to your costume directly or to wing straps.  They looked like great insect wings, particularly dragonfly wings if you made four, two smaller than the others.

I had wings last Halloween that were half angel and half demon (I made the demon side with wire, tights and paper mache) that I had to take off a lot since they were being crushed in the party crowds.  Next time I do a wing costume, I'll probably try this above method since it sounds fairly sturdy and wouldn't require as much work.

I always thought it'd be a fun twist to incorporate the crocodile with a Captain Hook costume, like with a stuffed one attached to his hand instead of a hook.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OrangePeel
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005 02:49:18 PM »

My idea for making wings is similar to everyone else's in that you use thin bendable wire & then attach chiffon (in your desired color) to your wire wings using glue.  Decorate them as desired.

For your pirate costume, check with your local thrift stores for appropriate clothing.  Frankly, I think that the post from Smaryclothes has the right idea!

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You might be a quilter if:
you smuggle your fabric stash in with grocery bags to fool your husband into thinking the grocery budget is going for food.

YUP!!  That's me!!!
cathie_filian
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005 03:19:15 PM »

check out this link for instructions on making fairy wings - http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=DIYHOBBIES-10-20-05

they are super easy to make.  good luck.

creative juice for the holidays - make it, bake it and cocktail shake it - Nov. 27th thru december - diy network.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Monopoly
How to Milk a Cow
Monopoly Theory Guide
Learn about Monopoly Game Variations
Learn about Monopoly Community Chest Cards
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...