A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to use those H-U-G-E tea towels?  (Read 4293 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

uplate6674
Professional Insomniac

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2005 03:20:26 PM »

I ordered a tea towel blank from Sublime Stitching and noticed it is a *lot* bigger than the ones that came with the Stitch-It kit. I'm not that design-savvy, so I'm wondering if anyone has any examples of how they did the layout and placed the transfers. I'm wondering if the proportion of the transfers to towel dimensions will make things look markedly different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Im wide awake
Wide awake
Im not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no"

-U2
darlingcompanion
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005 07:27:22 PM »

i just copied the way my vintage ones were done which puts the design in the right bottom quadrant of the tea towel. it looks best this way when folded and haning in the kitchen,too! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emma Lee
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005 07:32:39 AM »

Did you already wash the towels to factor in shrinkage before you started stitching? Probably a good idea anyway, if you haven't already done so.  Smiley

Right bottom quadrant seems pretty standard, as darlingcompanion said...though with my first towel I'm doing right now I have the design centered near the bottom. It just looked better that way...I guess it depends on the patterns, their size and how many of them you're using.

Good luck! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirstenmonster
It's garden time, huh cha cha cha cha

it's understood Zeke does it for the hood

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005 08:22:22 AM »

Ooo!  Ooo!  Pick me!  I have an answer! 
I recently purchased some flour sack towels and I bet you ran into the same problem I did.  The ones in the kit were a neat tidy size, but the ones you bought were HUGE.  if you have a sewing machine, cut those bad boys in half and seam up the cut size to fix it up.  I find that these are a more reasonable size to work with, and much closer in size to the ones in the original kit.  I've been having better luck finding flour sack towels in big chain everything but the dogs butthole stores.  These websites on the internets charging over ten bucks for a couple of towels are way overcharging.  I found mine at (puke, I'm sorry baby jeebus) walmart.  I think I've seen them at meijers also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005 01:01:48 PM »

Ooo!  Ooo!  Pick me!  I have an answer! 
I recently purchased some flour sack towels and I bet you ran into the same problem I did.  The ones in the kit were a neat tidy size, but the ones you bought were HUGE.  if you have a sewing machine, cut those bad boys in half and seam up the cut size to fix it up.  I find that these are a more reasonable size to work with, and much closer in size to the ones in the original kit.  I've been having better luck finding flour sack towels in big chain everything but the dogs butthole stores.  These websites on the internets charging over ten bucks for a couple of towels are way overcharging.  I found mine at (puke, I'm sorry baby jeebus) walmart.  I think I've seen them at meijers also.

I tried this, but the ones I've been able to find are horribly not square and they just were weird when I cut them and hemmed them. Am I the only one finding this?
It sounded like such a good idea to cut them in half, but I wasn't as happy with them as I would have been if I had left them bigger. Hopefully my swap partner doesn't mind them being a little less than squared off. Anyone have any suggestions or am I the only one with this problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chasingthenuns
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005 09:16:05 PM »

I had this same problem.  I couldn't stand how small the design looked on such a huge towel.  The next time I ended up just buying some white linen napkins.  They were about the same size as the tea towel in the kit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005 04:32:37 PM »

Hey Ladies-

Okay, okay. Now I know you all hate the gi-normo flour sack towels. Really? You hate them that much? *sigh* I'm not surprised. Here's my tale of tea-towels: when I first started Sublime Stitching, I used to make the tea-towels myself, hemmed by hand. And *the Tea Towel* kit was the first one. So, if you have a tea-towel from back when with a "Sublime Stitching and I Made This!" woven label, I probably made that towel (the last few hundred were made by a seamstress I hired) myself. Then, I said "this is nuts!" and had to switch to pre-fab towels. The towels I made were nearly identical to what now comes in the Stitch-It Kit. Which, yes, is a nice size.

Personally, I'm not nuts about the mammoth tea-towels either, and always figure you resourceful and clever folks will cut them to make two. But, would you be much happier if I just ditched them and got differnt towels for you? Tell me like it is!  Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embroidery Rocks! Sublime Stitching RULES.
Kits - Patterns - How 2
http://www.SublimeStitching.com

Embroidered Artwork by Jenny Hart
http://www.jennyhart.net
Ezri_B
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005 08:06:03 AM »

Yes, I would be much happier
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wilcogirl

thats gwynne...rocking out!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005 08:51:36 AM »

wait, im confused...if the stitch-it kit contains the size tea towel that everyone wants, why cant we just get those individually??

In other words, yes...the blank tea towels are ginormous.  In fact as i write this i can see the one i ordered abandoned and half done in a corner of my room.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when some strange person is calling you their home, then you'll be where you wanna be - Jeff Tweedy
Twynk
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005 12:13:56 PM »

I bought a pair of tea towels from the Sublime Stitching shop so that I could embroider them for a Halloween gift exchange and due to time limitations (I was afraid if I started looking for something smaller I wouldn't have them finished in time and I don't have a sewing machine (to make them smaller)) so I ended up using them for the gift even though they're on the ginormous side.

Since then, I've purchased tea towels from a different site, but would gladly return to purchase more from Sublime Stitching if they were a more 'typical' size.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Hair Replacement for Alopecia - Part 1
How to Establish Guideline Lengths
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 4
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 3
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...