A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,079
Currently Running With Scissors:
752 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my ubernatural w/long sleeves - first sweater!  (Read 18810 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LeSophie

mmmmmmmmmm......yarn.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2005 10:25:58 AM »

I have finally gotten around to sewing on the 11 buttons and taking photos of my first ever sweater.  It is the free 'ubernatural' pattern (found here: http://www.magknits.com/chilly04/patterns/uber.htm ) by glampyre.

blocking it's lovely self

girl needs to find someone else to take her photos!

very cool 'eyelet' raglan increases up close!  these actually look much better in person - again, blame the photographer

yay - looong sleeves

My specs:
Yarn: MalAbrigo super bulky wool in VerdeAzul (7skeins even with the added long sleeves) for a size L on US15s

Mods:
I wanted the neckline a little less off-the-shoulder so I cast on fewer stitches in the beginning and continued until it met under the arms. 
I also wanted long sleeves so at that point I just kept knitting (via magic loop) w/ a few decreases at the wrist and loooong ribbing to mirror the long ribbing at the waist and the sleeves lovingly end at my knuckles just like I wanted!

My recommendations:
WHY HASN'T THIS PATTERN GOTTEN MORE ATTENTION?! 
Can you say big needles/gauge + NO seaming + NO picking up of stitches to add a button band = PERFECT first sweater?  I am not a small girl and consider this to be one of the most flattering bulky sweater patterns around.
Therefore, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED...

Now on to glampyre's bulky mini cardi  Grin she is my favorite designer hands down!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009 11:40:00 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my new blog at http://lesophie.blogspot.com/ !
shlowzikins
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005 10:29:39 AM »

your sweater looks great! congratulations on your first sweater!
i've actually been thinking about doing this pattern for a while now... i have some really barny thick and thin handspun that might be perfect for it, but i've been worried that it would come out to lumpy.
how did you manage with all the buttons?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005 12:56:31 PM »

That looks fantastic! I love the long sleeves, too. If I had a sweater made from Malabrigo, I would never want to take it off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
punkrockmom

never trust a knitter with the grocery money

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005 01:01:20 PM »

wow i love that!  i havent seen that pattern before-!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo37.blogspot.com
octagonfudge
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005 01:11:08 PM »

CUUUUUUUTE!  I shall proclaim this project awesome.
I didn't like the short sleeves so much but apparently didn't think to just make them longer (duh, guin) and now I really like it!  I've got 6 skeins of Blizzard just begging to be made into this.  Seriously, I can hear them now. 
Maybe it's not so good that my yarn is talking to me....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jumped on the bandwagon- www.octagonfudge.bl ogspot.com
Aunt Suzi
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005 01:17:46 PM »

Very nice job! 

Like octagonfudge, I didn't like the short sleeves.  So didn't even think about doing it.  Now that I've seen your version and read your most cogent arguments, I will definitely consider it!  Needing more cardigans!  But not till after the dozen Christmas projects are through..... 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

nushybum
nushybum the magnificent

Masquerade!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005 01:21:33 PM »

That is lovely. The yarn...the colour..and especially the mods! I didn't quite understand what you have done though...oh well, SnB time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shock Paper Scissors - a modern magazine for contempory crafters

Magic Fingers - a craft blog
vanessaj
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005 01:34:38 PM »

fantastic! looks great. i love Stefanie Japel's patterns, and you did such a nice job with it. congrats on your first sweater. i just finished my first sweater 2 days ago, also a stefanie japel pattern: boob holder, but i made mine a full length pull over. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LeSophie

mmmmmmmmmm......yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005 02:23:46 PM »

Hey!  Thanks all - it is so nice  to have feedback from fellow knitters  Grin

shlowzikins:  This yarn is thick and thin and I love the way it turned out - you do see through in spots but I think it makes an interesting fabric.  The buttons are a pain to sew on but worth it.  I think Stefanie has the right idea with the shell buttons though because they aren't heavy (although more expensive).  Mine definitely work but could have been a bit lighter in weight.

octagonfudge: On the contrary, I think if you have yarn in your stash that "calls out" for a certain pattern then it is destiny.  Either that or I'm crazy too! Shocked Making the sleeves longer is easy peasy because you have to go back to that point to add ribbing anyway - why not just keep knitting until you like the length?  I used magic loop and knit the sleeves in the round but if you don't mind seaming you could knit the arms flat and seam the arms later.

nushybum: Check out Stefanie's patterns - I think they are ALL top down raglans in one piece with fantastic different details (and thankfully for me) all of math worked out.  I doubt I will ever make a sweater with four or five pieces to all be seamed together now that I have done this.  Wendy of knitandtonic fame ( http://knitandtonic.typepad.com/knitandtonic/ ) is doing great things this way lately also - check out her fabulous striped number in Aurora 4. And if any of you haven't heard of Barbara Walker's Knitting from the Top I highly recommend it for wrapping your mind around the concept.  She doesn't have patterns but  tons of helpful info.

vanessaj:  Quick and finish so we can see the end result!

I just have to say again how grateful I am to Stefanie for her fantastic patterns - I refer to them all of the time and like I said before, as soon as I get the extra $, I'll be doing her newest bulky mini cardy (with a modified long bell sleeve because I just can't help it!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my new blog at http://lesophie.blogspot.com/ !
vanessaj
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005 04:35:51 PM »

i posted it on page 25 of the boobholder thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Be an Architect Part 1
How to Be an Architect Part 2
How to be an Architect - Part 3
How to Be an Architect Part 4
How to be an Architect - Part 5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...