A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,588
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my ubernatural w/long sleeves - first sweater!  (Read 20086 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LeSophie

mmmmmmmmmm......yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2005 04:04:50 PM »

hooray for uberpink!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my new blog at http://lesophie.blogspot.com/ !
BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2005 10:42:51 AM »

LeSophie (or anyone else who's made this and considers herself... busty) um, did you find that working even in st.st. after joining the body turned out wide enough through the bust?  I think that I'm bigger round the fullest part of the bust than just under the arms, and I'm wondering if some increases might be in order?
  Also... looking at your cardi, I think I knit more tightly than you.  I ordered 7 skeins and am knitting approximately the medium, but I hope hope hope I don't run out of yarn!  I'm now just at the body-joining stage (yes, I am a slow and rather on-off knitter! No FOs in a week for me!) and nearly 1/2 way through the 2nd skein...
  I love these top-down raglan patterns, though; it's so cool watching the knitting form this curvy 3d shape due simply to the occasional increase!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LeSophie

mmmmmmmmmm......yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2005 11:02:12 AM »

I actually didn't follow the pattern stitch amount to the "T" - so when the yoke was big enough to meet comfortably under my arms (I put the sweater on scrap yarn and tried it on to determine this) I went ahead with the straight st st and then incorporated the ribbing on down and it worked perfectly.  It is fitted but that is what I wanted since the yarn is so bulky.  And don't worry about the amount of yarn!  I am a 38C and made a L to XL with long sleeves with seven skeins of hpy bulky!  You'll be fine  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my new blog at http://lesophie.blogspot.com/ !
BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2005 11:21:59 AM »

Thank you!  I think I'll just go ahead and knit it straight, then.  After all, I can always rip out if it's just too tight.  Thanks for all your encouragement - you can tell this is my first time knitting a proper garment, hey?
Well, back to the needles...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2005 05:16:59 PM »

Just in case anyone else wants to know...
I knit 4 rows after separating the sleeves, and put my ubernatural back on the scrap-yarn to try it on, and decided that, although it was fine so far,there was no way that width would go over my breasts.  I have narrow shoulders and a really small rib-cage (I'm a 32F!) so I guess that makes the difference.
  So, I did breast increases by doing one increase (kfb) at the 'side-seams' (ie. on the front side of the 'underarm-seam' stitch-markers) for each of 3 knit rows, and then decreased back (k2tog) for the next 3 knit rows.  I have no idea if this is an accepted way to do it, but I think it looks nice.  I also started decreasing the back on the same row that I started the bust decreases, but doing the back-decreases about 1/5 and 4/5s of the way round the back section, so the decreases form fake princess seams. 
  It seems that even though I'm a real novice and have no idea how to design a knit garment myself, I just can't follow a pattern, either.  I'm the same with cooking, never follow the recipe exactly.  Do others find that this tendancy grabs them in all fields, not only those where they're practiced?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luv2stitch

Sometimes it's knit and sometimes it's crochet.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2005 05:37:39 PM »

I like the unbernaturals that have been posted here. I am tempted to try it this long weekend. Thanks for the modifications and tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2005 11:32:07 AM »

I finally put the buttons on my ubernatural and thought I'd show it off: (please excuse the terrible photos, my usual photographer is out of town.)

So the first thing you might notice is that the fronts are uneven! Somewhere, early in my attempts to re-math the pattern, I went terribly terribly wrong--and I didn't notice it until I was blocking. The perfectionist in me is screaming, but I think it adds to the charm.
I made this in Bernat Cottontots, one strand of white and one of blue held together throughout. My only worry is that the cotton is a bit limp (I really hate the static generated by wool cardis in the winter, and I didn't have a good cotton blend in my stash.) and I wonder how it'll hold up with washing. On the whole I'm happy with it--it fits great and is really snuggly. I love the unfinished boat shape of the neckline and the shoulder YO increases.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010 03:36:13 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
mayerlove
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2005 11:35:46 AM »

synne- i love it! great job. i like the off center-front part!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
Loveliness
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2005 12:37:23 PM »

Synne, your sweater is lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2005 03:46:26 PM »

Synne, your cardi looks really cozy!  And I've defiinitely seen off-centre closures as a design-element in cardis before, so just tell yourself it was intentional.  I like the look with slightly-smaller buttons, too, I hope to have not-huge ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Emo Hair: Haircuts for Girls
How to Remove Hair Extensions
How to Get What You Want at the Hairdressers
How to Get Hair Extensions
How to French Braid Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...