A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
761 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my ubernatural w/long sleeves - first sweater!  (Read 19403 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2005 07:42:27 AM »

i'm working on an ubernatural right now. the way the YO was written in the pattern messed me up too. (i eventually figured it out, but by then i was annoyed with the whole thing and decided to do something else instead. i had already made a modified version of Bad Penny, anyways, so i already had a raglan sweater with YO eyelets.)

what i did was to place my SM while i was knitting the first row (after casting on). this is before you have to make any increases. then when you start row 2, you can work up to the SM, YO, pass the SM, knit the stitch after the SM, YO again, and then carry on until you reach the next SM. by the way, for anyone who hadn't figured it out, you are in fact, supposed to knit one stitch between the two YOs. if you look at the pictures in the pattern, you'll see the knitted stitch between them holes from the YO.

oh, and when you are placing your SM, be aware the the 3 edge stitches in garter are included in the count for the first and last sections.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2005 10:26:02 AM »

I've not knit the pattern, but hopefully I can help.  When you do a yo it makes an additional stitch - so for each yo, you add one stitch to your needles.  Does that help?

I know that yo will create an extra stitch - so after row 2 I will be left with 57 sts on my needle, but theproblem I'm having is that I only have 40 sts prior to row 2 (cast on 40), but in order to work row 2, I would need 49!  Argh!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeSophie

mmmmmmmmmm......yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2005 10:30:32 AM »

OK, I've just dug out my pattern modifications and I have notes written all over them.  I'll try to get them all down:

First of all there was a knit-a-long early this year where people weren't too happy with the mistakes in the pattern.  I've linked it here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=21355.0 but warn you that they were very discouraged and I think with the fixes I've listed below you won't get fed up.  If you fix row 2, the rest of the pattern should work perfectly.

I read the following from the knit-a-long
Oops.  I completely forgot to tell you about the typos in the pattern...  I had made another of Stephanie Japel's designs, Bad Penny (also from Knitty) and it's the same basic idea: a top-down raglan with YOs.  So I realized that you're supposed to have a K1 between the 2 YOs.  Yeah, it seems obvious now, but when you're blindly following instructions it comes out all wrong!  As for the buttonholes I did what the pattern says, k3 yo k2tog, and I think it looks fine.  The designer now recommends doing k2 yo, k2tog. 

so then I did the following:

MY VERY SPECIFIC MODS:

I did decide to make my buttonholes k2 yo k2tog instead of what she put originally because I liked the look better so THAT is reflected in my new directions for row 2.

Cast on 40 (50, 60, 70) 44 (54, 64, 74) stitches. (you'll need those extra four- see below).

Row 1 (WS): Knit

Row 2 (RS): K2, yo, K2tog (this is the buttonhole I used), knit 3 (5, 7, 9) yo, pm, k1, yo, knit 4 (6, 8, 10) yo, pm, k1, yo, knit 18 (20, 22, 24) yo pm k1 yo, knit 4 (6, 8, 10) yo, pm, k1, yo, knit 7 (9, 11, 13).

(IF YOU DECIDE TO USE THE ORIGINAL BUTTONHOLE THEN ROW 2 WOULD BE:
Row 2 (RS): K3, yo, K2tog, knit 2 (4, 6, 8 )  yo, pm, k1, yo, knit 4 (6, 8, 10) yo, pm, k1, yo, knit 18 (20, 22, 24) yo pm k1 yo, knit 4 (6, 8, 10) yo, pm, k1, yo, knit 7 (9, 11, 13).)

Row 3 and all rows (WS): Knit 3 stitches, purl to last 3 stitches, knit 3 stitches.

Row 4 and all even rows (RS): Knit to marker, yo, pass the marker, k1, yo, Knit to second marker, yo, pass the marker, k1, yo, Knit to third marker, yo, pass the marker, k1, yo, Knit to fourth marker, yo, pass the marker, k1, yo, knit to end.

As she says  - don't forget your buttonholes every sixth row.

I also chose to knit all the ribbing on US13's instead of US11's as it makes a more relaxed ribbing and I did a very loose cast off with the US15's.

I'm actually pretty shocked that magknits/Stefanie haven't put these mods up.  Maybe we could get them to do that!

I also have to apologize profusely at having misled some of you.  I really did forget about my problems in the beginning because I was so happy with the end product.  Please feel free to ask me any more questions and please don't give up!!!

edited to add:
I dug around in Stefanie's archives and found the link to her corrections page for this pattern ALTHOUGH that first wacky seven stitches in row 2 aren't fixed there so I'd still go with my row 2:
http://www.glampyre.com/blog/archive/000669.php

« Last Edit: October 08, 2005 11:40:01 AM by LeSophie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my new blog at http://lesophie.blogspot.com/ !
mizuiro
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2005 04:24:10 PM »

That sweater is goregeous in those rich, dark colors.  I've been dying for a cardigan but keep putting it off.  I'll need to work on this one sometime *nods*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got Blog?  So do I:  http://yeahiknit.blogspot.com/
AmyKT5
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2005 04:32:40 PM »

I love your cardigan, I think it looks much better than the original!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dearsunexplode

blame it on plate tectonics.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2005 05:43:30 PM »

gorgeous. you're right, this sweater doesn't get alot of attention.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yahaira
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2005 10:41:41 PM »

looks great with the sleeves and the superbulky malabrigo you chose.  I heart malabrigo!

here's a kal on craftster if anyone is interested in seeing other variations and what problems arose from the pattern
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog --->
www.bitterpurl.com

my store --->
www.pureknits.com
taloola
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2005 12:23:11 AM »

i REALLY love your mods to this sweater...i think you have helped to instill courage into my little knitting heart...i want to knit this now.  i have one question....is there a way to do less or smaller buttons...yes, i am a fan of huge buttons...but i sort of feel that they over power the sweater...atleast for me they do?....anyhow, i am probably rambling...again, i am diggin on your sweater...and must finish my current project so that i can start this one!!!  eeep!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeSophie

mmmmmmmmmm......yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2005 08:48:41 AM »

Thanks again for all of the compliments!

The problem with smaller buttons is that with super bulky yarn and big needles you get darn big buttonholes.  You see it is just a simple yo, k2tog thing so the hole is the hole.  You can certainly make buttonholes spaced further apart and go back to stitch the buttonholes with matching thread to be smaller.  Just keep in mind when respacing the buttonhole placement that this sweater is fitted so you don't want it to gap open between each button.

Or if you are feeling adventurous you can knit the garment without the buttonband, then pick up stitches with smaller needles or smaller yarn or a combination of both and do any kind of buttonband that you want!  Stefanie has designed the bulky mini pattern with this kind of buttonband.

Hope that makes sense and good luck!

I'd love to see more of these done up so please post results when you have them!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my new blog at http://lesophie.blogspot.com/ !
kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2005 03:28:10 AM »

Thank you so much for posting your mods, they work like a dream and I am now well on my way to finishing this item!! The only problem I have now is that I have hurt my neck and can't knit at the moment - nightmare!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Power Book Trailer
Vincent Flynn Reveals
Thanassis Cambanis Talks About A Privilege to Die
Kyria Abrahams Reveals Her Motto
Kamran Pasha Talks About Mother of the Believers
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...