A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,272
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my ubernatural w/long sleeves - first sweater!  (Read 19960 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thisonegoesupto11
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005 05:42:56 PM »

gasp!  it's gorgeous!  i can't believe that's your first sweater!  love the yarn, love the pattern...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005 01:38:02 AM »

WHY HASN'T THIS PATTERN GOTTEN MORE ATTENTION?! 
Can you say big needles/gauge + NO seaming + NO picking up of stitches to add a button band = PERFECT first sweater?  I am not a small girl and consider this to be one of the most flattering bulky sweater patterns around.
Therefore, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED...

ok, ok, I'm sold!!

PS what is "magic loop"??
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005 01:40:02 AM by kinkyknit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ohmystars
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005 05:11:41 AM »

that's so nice - i didn't like the pattern until i saw yours
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeSophie

mmmmmmmmmm......yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005 08:39:38 AM »

Hey, thanks, ohmystars, I'm actually one of your fans and love how creative and fantastic your final products are so I consider that a high compliment!

kinkyknit:  Magic loop is when you use one set of circulars that is longer than the needed circumference for knitting something in the round (such as a sleeve).  Here is a link http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/ - keep in mind that they are showing you a video there of a tiny amount of stitches.  They also have a video tutorial of using two circular needles at that link - very cool.  "My" magic loop is definitely a bastardized version of that where I am pretty hard on the cable of my circular.  I just keep pulling the cable out between two stitches at the base of the lh needle to form a loop.  Then when the loop has 'traveled' with the work to the base of the rh needle I start over again by pulling a new loop through.    Geez, I better never write a tutorial - I think I've made things worse there!  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my new blog at http://lesophie.blogspot.com/ !
kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005 09:36:34 AM »

waoh - what a good idea!  (and here's me searching ebay for a "magic loop"...  Embarrassed)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2005 04:08:18 PM »

Help! I started knitting this tonight, and I'm stuck on row 2 (yes...row TWO!!!  Shocked)

It says: 

Row 2 (RS): Make button hole, knit 7 [9, 11, 13] yo pm yo, knit 4 [6, 8, 10] yo pm yo, knit 18 [20, 22, 24] yo pm yo, knit 4 [6, 8, 10] yo pm yo, knit 7 [9, 11, 13]

I have 2 questions:

So... Do I start off by making a buttonhole immediately? (k3 yo k2 tog)Huh

Also:

I'm a bit confused about the yarn over thing. Does it mean to literally do this?  Make a button hole, k7, bring yarn in front, place marker, k1, bring yarn in front, k4, ...etc??? The probelm I'm having is that I start with 40 stitches, and the way I'm reading the pattern, I'd need about 50 to do this.  Where am I going wrong?! All help appreciated! Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeSophie

mmmmmmmmmm......yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2005 07:42:04 PM »

HEY!  I'm excited that you're getting started and am happy to help (although I'm part way into a whiskey cocktail and heading out the door in a minute! eek!)

OK, your buttonhole will fall into the first three stitches each time you are asked to make that buttonhole.  Look at the following part of the pattern:

Things to keep in mind:

1. The buttons bands are knit into the pattern, rather than being picked up later. The first 3 stitches and last 3 stitches of every row are to be kept in garter stitch. It may be helpful to place a marker after the third stitch to be sure you remember to switch back to stockinette.

2. Buttonholes are worked every 6th row on the right side of the garment as k3 yo k2tog.

I've highlighted the important part above in orange - meaning - on the buttonhole rows the stitches that are normally the three garter stitch will be "k3 yo k2tog" and then continue on the row as in stated in the pattern.  Hope that makes sense!

Good luck and I'll check back tomro morning to see if you need more help!

edited to add:
You know, I've just read what I posted and it would have been much easier to have said:
On the buttonhole row "make buttonhole" means "k3, yo, k2tog" before moving on with the K7, etc. - I'll just go finish my whiskey now  Tongue
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005 07:46:15 PM by LeSophie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my new blog at http://lesophie.blogspot.com/ !
kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2005 03:55:27 AM »

ok, I totally get how to do the buttonhole now, but the main thing that I'm confused about is that the number of stitches I have on my needle doesn't match the number of stitches I need in order to knit row 2:

I've cast on 40 sts, but if I read the pattern literally, row 2 appears to be 49 sts, because you'd do this:

Pattern: Row 2 (RS): Make button hole, knit 7 [9, 11, 13] yo pm yo, knit 4 [6, 8, 10] yo pm yo, knit 18 [20, 22, 24] yo pm yo, knit 4 [6, 8, 10] yo pm yo, knit 7 [9, 11, 13]

So my interpretation of the pattern is:

(buttonhomle): k3, yo, k2 tog (so you've used 5 of the original 40 sts so far).  K7 (so now we've used 12 of the 40), yo, knit a stitch, pm, yo, k4 (now we're up to17 sts), yo, knit a stitch, pm, yo, k18 (now I'm up to 36 of the original 40 sts), yo, knit a stitch, pm, yo k4 (so that's now 44 sts) yo, knit a stitch, k7 (49 sts!arrrrggghhh!)

I must be doing something very wrong - help help! I'm ready to jump out of the window!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hellocharlotte
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2005 06:21:51 AM »

I've not knit the pattern, but hopefully I can help.  When you do a yo it makes an additional stitch - so for each yo, you add one stitch to your needles.  Does that help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
illhtac

the progress is in the process

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2005 07:32:50 AM »

I just started this sweater, too.  I had trouble with the buttonhole thing, and I'm also having trouble with the raglan increases.  They're turning into double yarn over big holes and not looking neat and pretty like the ones in the picture.  The way I read the directions I'm supposed to yo twice with the stitch marker in between but no stitches between them.  I tried doing a stitch between them but then I didn't have enough stitches by the end of the row.  If anybody can figure out what I'm doing wrong I would love to figure it out so I can get going on this sweater.  thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Marzipan Fruit
Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Keep Calm And Bake: Crème Egg Cheesecake Recipe
How to Make Classic Chess Pie
The Pantry Pound Cake
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...