A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: shipping to Italy  (Read 1308 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

princessliak
« on: October 06, 2005 08:53:49 AM »

I am having the darndest time sending my swap stuff to Italy... any suggestions from you seasoned shippers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are so many ways to die without losing your life.

www.baskinginbliss. blogspot.com
www.lulu.com/content/292980
princessliak
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005 06:46:19 PM »

The united states post office has a list of a zillion things that are unsendable (including scarves, photos, yarns, craft items, scrapbooks... and a million other) and UPS indicates that to get it there in a month would cost about 80 dollars! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princessliak
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005 05:10:49 AM »

This is what the USPS lady told me to look at...  http://pe.usps.gov/text/Imm/immicl/immiclhk_012.html
the main part is no sewed or needlework items... I am going to give it another try today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ithnkuno
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005 07:47:30 AM »

I sent a package to Rome 2 months ago and as far as I know has not been recieved. I also haven't recieved back from Rome and they were mailed at the same time. I spent 25 dollars to ship it too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.monkeyandme.etsy.com
http://www.myspace.com/ithnkuno
"every child is born an artist, the challenge is how to remain an artist when they grow up." picasso
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005 03:43:20 PM »

wow!

can your swap partner explain why italy is so anal?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
The Meow Wont Purr
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Valerian Aquarian

All Is Full Of Love

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005 08:31:22 PM »

That's interesting that 'human remains' and 'playing cards of any kind' are on the same list.
"Haberdashery and sewn articles of any kind, including trimmings and lace; handkerchiefs; scarves; shawls, needlework including stockings and gloves; bonnets, caps, and hats of any kind."
Why are they so opposed to crafting??
Haberdashery!
I would suggest going to your favoritest mailperson on a really un-busy day with cookies and ask them, really, what do I need to do to get this to Italy? It may be worth a try. I have one mailpersonfriend who will always take a moment to help me if I catch her at a convenient time.
 I had never known there were such restrictions on mail packages. Is it just Italy? So weird.

(ETA: Articles made of hair???)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005 08:34:00 PM by The Meow Wont Purr » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To be matter of fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy -- and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful." --Robert A. Heinlein
mata
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005 06:17:23 AM »

Hi ladies! Sorry if I join this topic so late..
I live in Italy and this sounds crazy.. I have received fabric, and sewn stuff many times from the Us! weird..
I would suggest, if your items are valuable, that you send them using usps airmail parcel post, and have them insured. Just makle sure that the total amount insured + shipping are below 100$, and put "gift" on the customs declaration. That way the person who receives it will not have to pay customs tax (which by the way is 20% of the total value + some fixed fees). That's how I do it usually! The package will be delivered by a courier and it will be signed for.
Good luck, mata
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005 01:52:44 AM »

The only thing that I can see that you can make is handmade soap!  Gosh, that's a restrictive list, and the lists make fascinating reading.  Australia prohibits Jewellery, fruit cartons (Whu??), the UK requires an import licence for queen bees...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006 07:15:13 AM by PurpleHeather » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ladolcerita
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006 02:47:17 PM »

Even crazier is that I can't find any such list of restrictions on the Canada Post website...
Maybe they are only opposed to American haberdashery and playing cards?!

A very fascinating list, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006 05:31:29 PM »

Australia prohibits Jewellery, fruit cartons (Whu??),

Australia has strict quarantine rules to prevent infestations of disease and insects.  Because of the distrance Australia is from most places, we have very unique fauna, insects and flora. An infestation of something foriegn will devastate the ecosystem. Farmers and primary production will also be devastated. Soil, plants, wood, food or food containers coming into Australia are strictly monitored because of what they may disease and insects that may carry.   Most food is banned.
The quarantine rules are so strict that you can't evern take fresh fruit and vegetables over state borders.

Because of our strict quarantine rules.  Australia almost never has out breaks of foot and mouth disease.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
They Still Do That? Yarn Spinning
How to Make Valentine’s Day Cards With Kids
Edible Hanukkah Crafts Project for Kids
How to Decorate Your Locker
How to Make Your Backpack Look Cool
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...