A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Loving food, but trying SOOO HARD to lose weight!!!  (Read 3346 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chainsaw_mclusky
« on: October 05, 2005 02:13:33 PM »

I LOVE to cook and I OBVIOUSLY *LOVE* food, but I need to lose weight at the same time. THE ETERNAL STRUGGLE!!!

Anyone out there have some healthy cooking tips or recipes they'd like to share?

I am looking for ANYTHING, mostly ideas for vegetarian meals and chicken dishes, as well as desserts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sashafantastique
Snap, crackle, craft!

Lets turn on the juice and see what shakes loose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005 06:15:33 PM »

there are about a hundred threads on this subject. just scan through them forum for cookin' orn type in the search box for "healthy" or "diet". Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

allie-loki
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005 06:08:53 AM »

1- drink 8 cups of water a day no matter what (each cup of tea or coffee cancels out one glass so that if you drink 1 cup of coffee you need 9 cups of water). this will keep you from thinking you are hungry and the extra water will help your metabolism a little.

2- drink a cup of green tea once a day. this, too, will help your metabolism.

3- eat a small salad before each meal (WATCH THE DRESSING!!) to prevent you from over-eating.

4- eat 5-6 small meals a day rather than 2-3. if you DO eat 2-3 make sure the big one is lunch rather than dinner. EAT BREAKFAST.

5- dont buy junk, you won't eat it. you love to cook/bake.. make your own stuff it'll be healthier and you can make it low-fat (substitute apple sauce/bananas/flax seed and soymilk for butter (or low-fat non-hydrogenated margarine) and/or eggs, and low-fat soymilk for milk). SHARE THE BAKED GOODS (or halve the recipes): i bring half of each recipe to school to share with the faculty and my classmates.

6- go for a short walk after each meal (10mins is better than nothing).

for recipes: there are lots of great recipes at vegweb.com

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005 06:21:50 AM »

and remember these two key words:  PORTION CONTROL

Put an appropriate amount of food on your plate and remove the rest from the table. 

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
Bastelmutti
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005 06:32:02 AM »

There is also this "plate method" of portion control - approx. 1/2 of your plate should be vegetables/salad/fruit, 1/4 protein, 1/4 starch like rice or pasta. It makes it easy to do portion control without all kinds of counting calories or measuring stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allie-loki
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005 06:36:45 AM »

Put an appropriate amount of food on your plate and remove the rest from the table. 

I dont like to sit down to eat until most of the kitchen is cleaned up and I have washed at least the pots, pans, and cooking utensils. This means I have to put away my leftovers before I even sit down to eat which at the same time makes it less convenient to get a second serving. I use a small bowl or plate (with meals as well as snacks) so that I won't eat more than I need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laureg

*alchemist extraordinaire*

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005 09:50:34 AM »

these are my own findings from my own trial and error:

try and limit your consumption of "white" stuff- white bread, rice, sugar, flour, etc.  there's more of this stuff is in food as fillers than most of us realize, and it has zero nutritional value.

try switching to whole grain bread, limit or cut out pasta. try eating meals that are a lean protein (chicken, salmon, etc) with a grain (brown rice, etc) and lots of veggies. if you want a snack, have fruit. if you're drinking whole milk and cream in your coffee, switch to 1 or 2%. sauces/dressings are generally not great, especially if they are loaded with oils, etc.

also, eat less but eat more often during the day, so you aren't ravenous and you keep your energy levels up. and don't deny yourself. i had an aunt that went on this crazy diet, and denied herself EVERYTHING. she got to the point where she would go on these crazy binges because she just broke down and went AWOL from the strictness of it all.  don't overhaul your diet so suddenly that you hate what you eat and can't stand it. you won't stick to it, and besides- eating is one of life's great pleasures. and if it's something good but not so healthy, a little bit or a taste won't hurt you.  a lot of it can, though. if you need to, measure out your portions. we eat a lot more than we think we do!

also- don't think of it as a diet so much, but as fuel. your body is an amazing machine- when you put in healthy "premium" fuel, you function like a race car. when you use the cheapest, most convenient fuel possible- well, you get the idea.

another thing that helps is meal planning. when you do your shopping, plan your meals for the week and leave the list out where it's accessible. that way you will likely be able to get things ready during the week as you go, rather than hastily throwing something together because you're in a  hurry to get supper on the table.

i did this a while back, not so much for weight's sake, but because i got really scared seeing the general bad health of everyone i work with. i made the decision that i wanted more balance and i didn't want my health to suffer because of my own decision to actively "ignore" what i did with my own health.  i found when i shifted my focus to my overall health, rather than just losing weight, i felt better, and weight maintenance was a pleasant side effect.

whew! sorry for the sermon! these are things that helped me so i hope this helps you out, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you are not the boss of me
forknspoon
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005 06:06:32 PM »

Reduce or eliminate oil and butter from your diet. Saute stuff in veggie or chicken broth instead of oil and use applesauce or commercial fat replacer (made from fruit) in baked goods instead of oil, or in place of half of the oil. Eliminating bread and pasta can help too. Load up on lots of veggies instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://whammyindustries.com
Custom buttons and magnets, crafty and cooking zines, and other awesome stuff galore!
Sarahlotfi

Colors: deliciousness for the eyes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005 09:05:31 AM »

Ugh! I feel your pain! I am obsessed with food. On most of my lunch breaks from work I drive to one of the nearby fancier grocery stores and just walk up and down the aisles checking out the amazing things you can buy these days. Yesterday was the grand opening of a Whole Foods right around the corner from where my parents work and I have already been there 3 times!

All of the advice given here is totally on target, but most of all I think portion control is key. I started seeing a personal trainer back in march and she's been teaching me to eat correctly in addition to working out. What I've found though, is even if I make myself a totally healthy meal for dinner, it doesnt county much if I eat 3 times the amount I'm supposed to. Also, my trainer says that people should eat between 1300 and 1500 calories a day to maintain their current weight. So try and keep that in mind too. Its no fun to count calories all of the time, but if you can, and dont mind it - it'll at least give you an idea of where you're going wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People who don't work with their hands are parasites.  --Jenny Holzer
chainsaw_mclusky
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005 09:23:22 AM »

Ugh! I feel your pain! I am obsessed with food. On most of my lunch breaks from work I drive to one of the nearby fancier grocery stores and just walk up and down the aisles checking out the amazing things you can buy these days. Yesterday was the grand opening of a Whole Foods right around the corner from where my parents work and I have already been there 3 times!

OMG I DO THAT, TOO!!!! I also make future mental shopping lists for stuff that I want to buy, but can't afford at the time!!! I am such a dork. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Alice Walker: The Mysterious Wonder of Life
Alexandra Horowitz Talks About On Looking: Eleven Walks with Expert Eyes
Santa Montefiore Discusses Her Novel The Woman from Paris
A Trailer for Shadow Creek by Joy Fielding
The 10 Best Non-Fiction Books of 2012
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...