A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,330
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cake toppers  (Read 4704 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redheadgeek
« on: October 05, 2005 09:01:56 AM »

So I have a while to go before Bri and I are married, but a) I've been doing weddings since I was 12 for my dad's business and have seen way too many weddings and b) for my parents 25th anniversary, I'm getting their long-broken cake topper fixed.
So Brian and I got talking about possible cake toppers, and we'd like something original, but classy.  Any idears?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's a fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005 09:10:48 AM »

It's not original by any means, but my husband and I used a simple letter B (for our last name) on top of ours.. and, it was free because it was used for his brother's wedding 364 days earlier!

It was beautiful on both cakes - BIL and SIL's was elaborate and white, rounds, very classy... ours was ivory and brown, squares, very simple and modern.

ETA: It was just silver, by the way, so it matched both sets of colors - theirs, white, black and pink and ours, browns and pink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
kristiface
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005 11:17:17 AM »

Willow Tree toppers are gorgeous and unique!  They're figurines, but they have couple statues that people have used as their toppers.  This one is particularly sweet http://www.windmillcountry.com/willowtree/26121_72dpi.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
Leaudemiel
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005 11:19:13 AM »

we had a bride and groom moose. no real reason, but then we saw one on our honeymoon in new hampshire, so it was awesome. anyway, you can get creative. ive seen people find really pretty old figurines via ebay and use them.
m
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freisss
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005 11:29:36 AM »

You could have your florist make a simple arrangement for the top of your cake.  I was a cake decorator for years, and my favorites were always white on white (or ivory on ivory) with real flowers. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gji7
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005 11:39:24 AM »

I love these - you can go really funky or fairly classy, depending on what you choose.

http://www.verydifferentcakes.com/index.php
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth. - Evan Esar

Prove to yourself that you can do it. Prove that you were always who you thought you were, not who they said you had to be. - Rachel Snyder
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005 11:41:05 AM »

We had frosted flowers covering the cake so it was busy. So a topper didn't get lost in the jungle, we just had a huge ribbon tied in a bow on top with the ends curlling down the cake to the table. It was very simple and very pretty and very easy to stick in a frame or shadow box, making one less figurine that I just can't throw away but can never manage to dust hanging around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005 12:16:15 PM »

for a friend's wedding, we just folded two small origami cranes.. both in silver.

Nice, simple, and a little unusual
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005 12:27:29 PM »

ohhhh I like the oragami idea..........
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meenuh
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005 12:51:04 PM »

*SHAMELESS PLUG!!*

I can make you a cake topper.  I make statue/figurines from pictures of people.  Check out my site:
http://www.twiceontuesday.com/galleryweddingjnj.htm

I haven't made a cake topper yet, just figurines, but it wouldn't be much different, just a little smaller probably.  Also, I could give you a discount for being my first one, and offer a glass dome and base so that you can display it after the wedding.  :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Cake Based on the Game Minecraft
How to Make Eton Mess
How to Make Egg Custard Tarts
The Trick to Making Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Cappuccino-Chocolate Cupcakes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...