A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your Etsy Shop-AFTER THE FEES!  (Read 4246 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

island-princess
« on: October 05, 2005 08:25:42 AM »

Hi, I know right now everyone is on the Etsy bandwagon.

I was just wondering how much people have given thought to the fact that November 1st is right around the corner and Etsy is going to start charging fees.

How many of you intend to pull out when fees start or would you still stick around and pay 20 cents to list and 3.5% of the selling price? Especially those who have not sold anything as yet and have no feedback.

What are your thoughts about Etsy after the fees?

Would you cut back on the number of items you have posted right now?

Would the fees affect you?

island-princess
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DsgndbyRJ
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005 08:33:04 AM »

I'm going to leave the items up that I've already listed.  I will not likely add more until I start seeing sales on finished items (as opposed the craft supplies I've sold there) - but then I also already have a website where I sell, so it's not like etsy is my only option.

I don't mind paying fees - as long as I'm selling.  AND I like that this is not auction style - we pay the fee and the item stays up until it sells, so there is no lost fee unless we remove the item ourselves.  I also like that there is a set price - no listing low and hoping that people will "bid up".

I think etsy has a lot of potential and that expecting this to be a huge sales generator overnight is unrealistic.  There still needs to be a lot of press happening, and word of mouth beyond the crafty community.  And holiday shopping is starting up - so hopefully that will bring a lot of shoppers too!

And that's my 2cents  Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.RJBeads.etsy.com - beads and jewelry making supplies! **SALE ALERT**

www.designedbyrj.blogspot.com
island-princess
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005 09:08:42 AM »

I agree with you. You are lucky you have your own website. I know alot of people who don't have a website and use Etsy as a means to market themselves.

Etsy is a good place. To me it's a chance to make some extra money. However, I have seen some great stuff with plenty views and no sales. What I often do is look at the people who have feedback and look at the things they have successfully sold in order to get an idea the stuff people go for-not just a mere view but what would make them actually put the item in the shopping cart and purchase.

I mean in reality-on Ebay you pay fees, when consigning 30-40% goes in fees, PayPal also charges fees as well. I was just wondering if people would change their strategy after the fees.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
orangeisgood
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005 10:08:27 AM »

The fees will be very low. When they begin, and Etsy starts generating themselves some income, they can use it to grow the site. This is a grass-roots  start-up on a shoestring, and I am going to keep riding that bandwagon, because Etsy has the kind of business culture that I can stand behind.

Items already posted before the listing fees begin, will not suddenly start costing money to remain listed. That's why it's a great time to list things now. Fees are not going to break me. A sale is a profit and I can factor in the small cost of doing business at Etsy into my pricing.  That's what sellers do anywhere they sell.

This is such a cool business model, and a part of the whole DIY anti-establishment crafting scene. Yay for the little people Smiley  It's better than feeding the corporate giants. I have no problems giving it time to turn into the next big thing for more people than just the crafting community. It's fun & it's cheap.

About all the no sales and no feedback for sellers, this is just my own personal opinion... I think some  items are priced wayy too high. I have seen alot of talk about raising your prices so that the buyer will think your item is better quality and worth more, and so be willing to buy it.  That has it's truth, but only to an extent. No price tag is going to impress me into buying something. Meh. There. I said it.  Plus, as an artisan selling at a feedback oriented website, you sometimes have to pay your dues to earn a good reputation. Start out at the beginning, and later you can easily charge top dollar.  Oh great, now I just talked myself into lowering a couple price tags... see ya!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2005 10:11:03 AM by orangeisgood » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Serendipity Crafts
Serendipity Crafts

Elizabeth & Hugh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005 08:46:33 AM »

We have sold two platters from ETSY & we plan to leave our stuff there. The only thing I do plan to change is to remove the free shipping which we have advertised for "a limited time only" anyhow.

If someone finds and buys our stuff through ETSY, I will gladly pay 3.5%. Afterall, ETSY is going to generate more traffic than my own web site. As such, the chance of selling something there is greater than off my own site.

The only question I have is whether or not the fees will be retroactive ... ie will we be paying .20 listing fees for items that are already posted there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elizabeth & Hugh
Personalized Signature Platters & Souvenir Plates
Serendipity-Crafts.com
Serendipity-Crafts Photo Gallery
Etsy Store
susansbaskets
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005 01:49:48 PM »

I think that I'm going to switch to ecrafter.  They actually give you a website instead of just listing some products on a page.  Right now they are still free too and they have told us that they haven't even set the date to become a pay site yet either.  When they do start charging it's not going to be per product + a commission too.  what do you guys think? it's www.ecrafter.com

Susan
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ikillbarbies
Poor College Student

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005 03:47:47 PM »

Serendipity-- They won't charge listing fees for items you have already posted. They will charge the 3.5% fee on those items after Nov. 1st.
Your plates are really cute, I was looking at them earlier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YouTube Channel Home to my animations and video shorts
Serendipity Crafts
Serendipity Crafts

Elizabeth & Hugh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005 04:31:04 PM »

They won't charge listing fees for items you have already posted. They will charge the 3.5% fee on those items after Nov. 1st.
Your plates are really cute, I was looking at them earlier.

It's not like .20 cents a product would drive us to the poor house but perhaps I should get my act together and list my other items onto ETSY to save on the listing fees.

Thanks for looking at the plates!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elizabeth & Hugh
Serendipity-Crafts.com
Etsy Store
amareluna
Head Nerd at Nyxia's Lair

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005 09:23:48 AM »

I just had to chime in here too.

We've been running the Crafters United shop on Esty; they generously waived fees for the chairty through the holiday season so that we can continue to raise money for hurricane relief.

Our shop has seen a large number of sales and the process has been really smooth. Their customer service is over the top; they answer questions immediatly, forward emails sent to the wrong place, ets.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I would MUCH rather see a crafter take the chance with Etsy (even after they start the fee schedule) than with Ebay because they are already giving so much back to the community and are really aimed at keeping the value of handcrafted goods at a true value, not a 'flea market' value like you have with most auction sites.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Serendipity Crafts
Serendipity Crafts

Elizabeth & Hugh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005 11:16:05 AM »

Their customer service is over the top; they answer questions immediatly, forward emails sent to the wrong place, etc.

they are already giving so much back to the community and are really aimed at keeping the value of handcrafted goods at a true value, not a 'flea market' value like you have with most auction sites.

I totally agree. In that I am a Canadian based business, I have had a few questions .... and I couldn't believe how quickly I received a helpful response.

I too believe in giving back to the community at large and I will gladly support other companies that do the same.

I am not an EBAY fan at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elizabeth & Hugh
Serendipity-Crafts.com
Etsy Store
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fight Wrinkles and Fine Lines With These Easy Fixes
A Straight Chic Hairstyle You Can Do In Minutes
The Ultimate Guide To A Perfectly Curly Hairstyle
Top Products for Oily Skin
How to Get Candy Cane Nails
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...