A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wanted : Quick simple idea for xmas  (Read 3232 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Scarlet
« on: October 05, 2005 05:47:46 AM »

My friend doesn't have any money for Christmas this year and i have suggested that she can get crafty and make some presents.

She doesn't consider herself to be really patient and doesn't have much experience making things.  So any suggestions on quick and easy, but professional crafty stuff she could make would be much appreciated

Grin

Therefore, as they have to be quick, things like knitting are out ( as i am not sure she would finish that), as is sewing (as she doesn't have a sewing machine).

I suggested PAINTING GLASS, well, wine glasses actually, and then she can put tea-light candles in them to give to family and friends.
So, if anyone out there can think of anything else let me know, as it would make her very happy

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Happychick
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005 09:58:57 AM »

no sew fleece scarves/throws/cushion? Painting little trinket boxes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mellyp

QFA - you know you want to...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005 10:09:03 AM »

dude, record bowls and marble magnets. i made those for everyone last year and they thought i was amazing! easy and fast and about as cheap as it gets.
i also threw in chocolate dipped pretzels - also cheap, fast and easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alberta alberta - crafty goodness for you and your home
albertaalberta.etsy.com
http://albertaalberta.blogspot.com/
Lv2ScrpBk
-~Alicia Ann~-

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005 10:17:18 AM »

In A Jar Gifts. You can find a ton of ideas by searching online. Last year I made 12 Smore's in a Jar Gifts. It was cheap and simple. I made them all in a couple hours one night. You can by a yard of cheap fabric to help decorate the top. Their are a ton of different things you can make; cookies, soup, bars, whatever. It was definetely a hit.

If this doesn't work, I also like the marble magnets and record bowl ideas. Also, how about simple little ornaments. You can buy some at craft stores for like 50 cents, all you have to do is paint them and then you could personalze them. Also, a homemade card. Thats always simple and cute. Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."<br /><br />"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Devine"
laureg

*alchemist extraordinaire*

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005 10:24:34 AM »

dude, record bowls and marble magnets. i made those for everyone last year and they thought i was amazing! easy and fast and about as cheap as it gets.
i also threw in chocolate dipped pretzels - also cheap, fast and easy.

i agree- people are crazy for marble magnets. and marble pushpins. i have some on my bulletin board at work and people are weirdly fanatical about them!

she could even take thrift store tumblers with straight sides and E-6000 glue some colored flat sided marbles on them for colored glass candle holders. or paint the tumblers with glass paint. or she could get cheap glasses at the dollar store and make them a set by using etch cream to make designs/words on them.

the suggestion about the fleece scarves is great, too. all she'd have to do it just cut them into shape- no sewing required!

and homemade truffles or cookies in a mug are always a nice gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you are not the boss of me
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005 10:32:51 AM »

this could go with painted glass votives:
2 years ago i made rice pillows.  get a yard or two of fabric from joann, cut it into 11"x4" strips.  take two strips, sew up three sides (right sides together), turn rightside out, and fill with rice.  you can get several pounds of rice for pretty cheap.  fill 1/2 to 3/4 full and sew the top shut.  pop one of these in the microwave for 1-2 minutes and you have HEAVEN for a sore neck/back or menstrual cramps.  i did asian themed drawings on all of mine, because i was giving them to very close friends of the family, boyfriend's mom, etc and i wanted them to be special.

last year i made bath tea bags.  i spent about $30 on an obscene variety of different potpourri spices and such, and i still have like 90% left over.  eek.  anyway, get some fabric from joann (i'd recommend undyed muslin or something sheer if you want to see the potpourri.) or some premade muslin tea bags.  make your spice mix, put it in the bags.  i did "flavors" like citrus (dried lemon, dried orange, lemongrass, mint), vanilla mint (peppermint, spearmint, vanilla scent), apple cinnamon (dried apple, cinnamon, nutmeg), and some others. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OCEANofAWESOME

Life, It's Just Something You Do

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005 10:54:33 AM »

Lately I have been into the whole retro cocktail/bar look.  So here are some ideas that go along with that...
Martini Candles
Frosted Glasses (you can get plain glasses at the dollar store and the etching cream is anywhere from $5-$20 depending on the bottle size.  To do striped glasses all you need is some tape = simple!
Martini Lights
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Next Time that Star Shoots Across the sky...(think amongst yourselves)
http://www2.gvsu.edu/~swanso01/
dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005 11:34:37 AM »

for my cheapo gifts this year i'm thinking of painting some glass 6-inch bowls with stencils and putting a couple floating candles or fake flowers in there for centerpieces. i got the bowls awhile ago for like $1.25.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scarlet
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005 01:22:29 AM »

Wow everyone!!  Thanks for your help, my friend was very impressed.

However, we were a bit confused about the "Marble Magnets", not sure what these are?  Are you refering to the glass foral pebbles (with the flat bottom on them)?  If anyone has a good description or link to a picture of one, that would be great.

She really loved the frosted glasses and is up for trying them, but being England, we are not sure where to buy the Frosting cream.  Does anyone have brand names we can Google??

Thanks again, and any more suggestion will be greatly received.  If she does manage to make any of these nice things, i will post some pictures on here, so you can see her crafty efforts

Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Modus Operandi
Paint Hussie

handpainted and repurposed vintage items

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005 04:29:55 AM »

Wow everyone!!  Thanks for your help, my friend was very impressed.

However, we were a bit confused about the "Marble Magnets", not sure what these are?  Are you refering to the glass foral pebbles (with the flat bottom on them)?  If anyone has a good description or link to a picture of one, that would be great.

She really loved the frosted glasses and is up for trying them, but being England, we are not sure where to buy the Frosting cream.  Does anyone have brand names we can Google??

Thanks again, and any more suggestion will be greatly received.  If she does manage to make any of these nice things, i will post some pictures on here, so you can see her crafty efforts

Cheesy

Here's some links to the magnets, and other uses for them:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=42973.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=26346.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=3418.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shops! http://www.enamor.etsy.com

enamorweddingshttp://www.enamorweddings.etsy.com

Pinteresthttp
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Granny Square Tree Skirt with a Slit 1/5
How to Crochet a Granny Square Tree Skirt with a Slit 2/5
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 9/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Tree Skirt with a Slit 3/5
How to Crochet a Granny Square Tree Skirt with a Slit 4/5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...