A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Some New Uses for Records/Record Sleeves  (Read 3214 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

honorhappy
« on: October 04, 2005 08:34:31 PM »

I found a bunch of records and record sleeves recently, both for very cheap and for free!  I'm making record bowls as gift bowls for the holidays, but by now we all know how to make those.  I'm also making a few journals, but there is a tutorial on here as well.  But then, with some inspiration, I thought of a few more things to do.  No pics, but all pretty self explanatory.

Record Box:  You'll need five record covers/sleeves for these.  The great thing is that you don't have to cut up your beloved covers, and if you get tired of the box you can slowly pull things apart and start a project anew.  Use on record sleeve for the bottom of the box, and slowly hot glue four covers around the bottom, and glue them to each other as well.  I didn't make a lid for mine, but I'm sure it would be easy enough, just add a six cover, glue on one side, and use a button and loop for a catch.  It's a great size for magazines, crafts, etc.  You can use the records themselves, in the same manner, for a variation on this.

Record Coasters:  I finally figured out how to do this!!!!  Place your records on an object that is nonflammable/meltable, and that you don't mind if it possibly gets some burn marks.  I used a metal lid from a popcorn tin, and there are no marks on mine.  Heat up your woodburner.  I'm assuming that you don't need a high quality burner, as mine was only a few dollars at Walmart.  Carefully sear through the vinyl along the label.  I found it was best to let the burner go through the vinyl, making a small hole, drag a little, and repeat.  It takes a while, but it's worth it.  After you've seared all the way though, pop the label out.  Put aside those records for other crafts.  Now sand and seal!

Record Trays:  This is a variation on record bowls.  I heated two records over a glass casserole dish, to retain a squarish shape with a small lip.  Mine are old Christmas albums, and I'm going to use them with for my Christmas goodies this year.  I've heard that eating out of or off of records may be a bad idea, so to be extra careful line your record trays with clean saranwrap if your goodies aren't wrapped.  That way you'll still see your label!

The next project I'm going to try is a record magazine holder.  I got my inspiration from a thread on here about making an LP holder from two records.  I'll tell you how it ends up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Catniplemon
All your base are belong to us!

I like rusty spoons. - Salad Fingers

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005 09:07:35 AM »

Ooo- - - a TRAY. All of them great ideas. Thank you for sharing them all. 
I attempted a bowl last year with my sister but it never turned out to our liking. (I think my oven is on the fritz)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Euch, you taste like soot and poo Hubert Cumberdale! - Salad Fingers
Geomancer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005 11:16:33 AM »

Is making a record bowl dangerous at all?
 lol, sorry i didnt know all this stuff existed, tis all really cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DarkCandy
Craft Dork

Made the icon myself

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005 04:21:58 PM »

Smarty pants!!! I would have never have thought of those. Thanks for sharing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here we are now, entertain us.
honorhappy
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005 08:09:19 PM »

Glad you all liked them.

No, I don't think making record bowls are any more dangerous than doing anything else with chemicals crafty wise (like using modge podge, spray paints or sealants)....it really doesn't smell bad, but run the overhead fan and/or have proper ventilation.

Another method with the record box is to make it with clear packing tape...it may be a bit more sturdy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cydniey

a fabulous disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005 05:10:12 PM »

a double record tray - fabulous! great way for me to get rid of those scratched frank sinatra records, i can make martini trays! thanks for the inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honorhappy
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005 12:47:59 AM »

Martini trays sound awesome....now you got me wanting to make more!  Hee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Geomancer
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005 03:30:25 AM »

Cool! Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...